Opinion Changes Round 23 Vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Schofield is in our best 22 for finals and yet the Hawks don’t really have a matchup that makes sense. Still, I’d rather be pumping games and continuity into our finals backline setup.

Unless that isn’t the intended finals backline setup in which case, very curious indeed.

Schofield is in our best 22 for finals and yet the Hawks don’t really have a matchup that makes sense. Still, I’d rather be pumping games and continuity into our finals backline setup.

Unless that isn’t the intended finals backline setup in which case, very curious indeed.
I'm probably reading too much into this but the way Schofield talked about being dropped sounded like he knew it would be hard to get back into the team for finals. Maybe they said look we see you as a tall defender and prefer the flexibility of Nelson.
If we're not picking him this week, he's unlikely to come back in, bar injury or should one of the Hawks' talls get off the chain,

Don't understand why Schofield is not in the team. The backline is much stronger with him in it. An experienced negating defender with height. Only have to look at the last game and see what happens to Barrass when he is put under too much pressure. Out: Nelson/Masten, In: Schofield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Qualifying Final
Out - Waterman, Masten
In - Naitanui, Schofield

Semi/Preliminary Final
Out - Nelson
In - Hutchings
I would be wary on bringing in Hutchings for a do or die final given that hamstring was a re-injury. If Nelson is performing then he should keep his spot.

Is schofield really in our best 22?? Our backline is pretty set IMO. Hurn, Shep Duggan, TB, GOV and jetta are a lock. we usually play 7 at the back, that one extra spot is for small player as sheppard can play third tall. Hence why schofield came to the side last year for Sheppard. That extra 7th player is out of Nelson, Masten, Cole. At this stage its Nelson and Masten as I think Nelson will do Hutch cover and Masten will be that defensive /wing/god knows what .Masten has two good traits, big engine and decent kicking so he gets my tick over Cole. It just doesn't make sense to have Schofield. Happy to hear your take. The only way Schofield comes in now is for Gov or Barras and if fit they are both better player than him( regardless of mistakes, Barrass actually saved us 2 goals against tigers on top of the 3 goals he coughed up ;)).

Is schofield really in our best 22?? Our backline is pretty set IMO. Hurn, Shep Duggan, TB, GOV and jetta are a lock.
Imo for some reason the output of that group doesnt equal the sum of all parts. We've consistantly performed better with Schofield playing. Rotham hasn't let us down either. Yet our gun interceptors in Barrass and McGovern have exposed us badly at times and tellingly, particularly in our past two losses.

Is schofield really in our best 22?? Our backline is pretty set IMO. Hurn, Shep Duggan, TB, GOV and jetta are a lock. we usually play 7 at the back, that one extra spot is for small player as sheppard can play third tall. Hence why schofield came to the side last year for Sheppard. That extra 7th player is out of Nelson, Masten, Cole. At this stage its Nelson and Masten as I think Nelson will do Hutch cover and Masten will be that defensive /wing/god knows what .Masten has two good traits, big engine and decent kicking so he gets my tick over Cole. It just doesn't make sense to have Schofield. Happy to hear your take. The only way Schofield comes in now is for Gov or Barras and if fit they are both better player than him( regardless of mistakes, Barrass actually saved us 2 goals against tigers on top of the 3 goals he coughed up ;)).

I like Schofield in as it eases the reliance on Barrass to kill contests, and frees up McGovern to focus more on intercepting than negating. He can play further off the third best forward than the second best.

The unfortunate reality is our extremely tall backline means Schoey either misses or we go in very very tall. There’s not always a matchup for him, so it’s a constant decision to make, but I really do like knowing you can just set and forget Schofield vs a key tall, Barrass takes the other one and Gov is freed up.

Given Richmond’s twin key forwards and Brisbane’s tall forwardline, I think there’s a role for him come finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back