Preview Changes: Round 3 v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Think some people are forgetting how good Lever was starting to play prior to the knee injury. I'm far more concerned about May.

Yep his 3-4 of games in 2018 were crap then he really turned. Started to see the value then had the knee injury..

May hasn't done a thing. I still feel better seeing him on the park than OMac, but it's more perception than reality at the moment.

The average scores by a team from their defensive 50 is 8 points. Instead of putting good kicks and mids in the backline we should be putting them in the attacking end and leaving the defending to I don't know ... Defenders.

Still the most important kick in footy, hitting that inside 50 target. Brent Harvey was elite at it, yes the game is more condensed now but geez that kick is important as ever especially with clubs even focusing on defending with the ball i.e. hitting targets/kick retention.

Melksham has been quiet first 2 games. We need to get the ball in his hands 70-80m from goal. The reason why we were the highest scoring team in 2018 was his kicking inside 50

I'm starting to fear he's hit the cliff. Or maybe he's just suffering from our shithouse ball movement like a few others.

Jake and Tom thrived on one on ones and being given room to operate in 2018. We've been flooding our own forward half ever since.

Last edited:
Melksham has been quiet first 2 games. We need to get the ball in his hands 70-80m from goal. The reason why we were the highest scoring team in 2018 was his kicking inside 50
Another player that disappeared after quarter time not entirely his fault. Looked good until we went into our shells. You're right we need to get it to him but first we need to adress our problem with breaking down in the backline. Carlton aren't exactly Richmond and we crumbled under pressure.

I'd love to know our play on from a mark or take advantage from a free kick stats comparing 2018 to 2019 & 20. Feels like we just don't even try to take the game on anymore.

No idea why we have given up on Jayden Hunt as a back flanker after one down patch. Only Melbourne could decide to no longer utilise a player's big strength. We will put Harmes, Jones and Brayshaw in the backline instead or persisting with a guy who can be a game breaker. Smh.

No idea why we have given up on Jayden Hunt as a back flanker after one down patch. Only Melbourne could decide to no longer utilise a player's big strength. We will put Harmes, Jones and Brayshaw in the backline instead or persisting with a guy who can be a game breaker. Smh.
Worst part is I can't see him lasting very long as a forward, players are gonna overtake him very soon.

Yeah, I feel like Jayden Hunt playing up forward for us is his career death rattle. Don't see how he's in our long term plans and doesn't play well at VFL level.

Another team will take a punt on him at year's end given his pace and x-factor (at times). Could see Clarko utilising him in their system.

Worst part is I can't see him lasting very long as a forward, players are gonna overtake him very soon.

How to ruin a career. He's a make shift forward at best. Unbelievable how dumb we are playing him in position that doesn't suit his game style whatsoever. Some other club will pick him up for free at the end of the year and use him properly, you just watch. Seems like the type of player the Swans usually turn into an All Australian.

I'd love to know our play on from a mark or take advantage from a free kick stats comparing 2018 to 2019 & 20. Feels like we just don't even try to take the game on anymore.
I dunno, I feel like we still have a problem where we take the game on when we shouldn't, or slow down when we should play fast. The team struggles to stay on the same page with guys like Langdon, Viney or Brayshaw bombing or handballing to no one, while others like Harmes or Melksham will try and play a bit slower and keep the ball for a bit.

I also don't mind Hunt as a forward, but agree he's probably best suited for us down back and breaking lines. Then again, he's not a great kick so doesn't do much to solve our pus ball use going inside 50.

To be fair to Jayden Hunt he is probably our best goal kicking forward after Fritsch.

Says more about the team than the player but still, not many players on our list seem determined to dislodge him as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno, I feel like we still have a problem where we take the game on when we shouldn't, or slow down when we should play fast. The team struggles to stay on the same page with guys like Langdon, Viney or Brayshaw bombing or handballing to no one, while others like Harmes or Melksham will try and play a bit slower and keep the ball for a bit.

I also don't mind Hunt as a forward, but agree he's probably best suited for us down back and breaking lines. Then again, he's not a great kick so doesn't do much to solve our pus ball use going inside 50.
No but still I would rather him break the line and turn it over deeper rather because at the moment we are turning it over on the wing.

Jake and Tom thrived on one on ones and being given room to operate in 2018. We've been flooding our own forward half ever since.
yet despite us flooding our forward line we somehow manage to kick it straight to the opposition

I'm starting to fear he's hit the cliff. Or maybe he's just suffering from our shithouse ball movement like a few others.
Still love seeing the ball in his hands, but it's not getting there often enough. I reckon it's a team thing more than individual, rate him v highly.

Was easier for them when Hogan and then Weideman for a few weeks were dragging defenders right up the wing, and our midfield was dominating. We're less dynamic up forward now.

Is anyone really upset about the draft picks we lost for Lever? Petty will turn out to be better than anyone drafted between 10-20 in that 2017 draft that we might have taken, and Liam Stocker is a straight up hack. There’s no way Lever wasn’t worth pick 10, and if you’re upset about losing pick 18 as well even leaving aside the pick 37 we got back and used on Petty you’re taking the draft too seriously.
The draft is where the majority of AFL players are found, and the majority of the good ones are from the first and second round, as an example 10 to 12 of MFC team this week will be first rounders not including Viney or May who were taken as FS and zone picks.

Five of the clubs last 6 first round picks will play this week, none from 2017 by the looks of it, if you don’t take the draft seriously your asking for mediocre results as there is no better way to find stars, and the more shots you have the better.

For what it’s worth I liked the Lever trade at the time and posted as such, if our s**t coach played him in the correct role he’d look a lot better.

The draft is where the majority of AFL players are found, and the majority of the good ones are from the first and second round, as an example 10 to 12 of MFC team this week will be first rounders not including Viney or May who were taken as FS and zone picks.

Five of the clubs last 6 first round picks will play this week, none from 2017 by the looks of it, if you don’t take the draft seriously your asking for mediocre results as there is no better way to find stars, and the more shots you have the better.

For what it’s worth I liked the Lever trade at the time and posted as such, if our sh*t coach played him in the correct role he’d look a lot better.

What’s his correct role?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For what it’s worth I liked the Lever trade at the time and posted as such, if our sh*t coach played him in the correct role he’d look a lot better.
Sure, but when we got a perfectly good player in Petty out of it who wouldn't be out of place as a first round pick I'd happily give up another for a 22yo Lever, I just don't understand why everyone's so upset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back