Preview Changes: Round 3 v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

How many contests was lever involved in compared to the others?

Does his errant punching the ball out of bounds count as a 'win'?
No, that counts as halving the contest.

IN: Hannan, Pickett, vandenBerg
OUT: Jackson, Jones, Neal-Bullen

Can't believe they finally dropped Jones, hallelujah. I don't have much hope for Hannan but hopefully we get the 2018 version. Jackson honestly stiff to get dropped before TMac.

Think this is just about our strongest 22.

Don't like the idea of going small vs Essendon though. They'll send Hooker to TMac; can we even occupy Hurley? I don't rate his 1 on 1 defense but he is big and I think our delivery inside 50 would need to be like the first quarter vs Blues, for four quarter, for Fritta to get a chance to nudge Hurley under the footy and out of position.

Maybe I haven't watched him enough but Petty had never screamed first rounder talent to me. Has had a couple of solid games in his career but otherwise has done f.a. at AFL level.

Not writing him off, but don't see how he's so much better than those taken above him (although it seems a pretty meh draft in hindsight overall. If the Crows actually gave Fogarty a solid run it might be different).

Think this is just about our strongest 22.

Don't like the idea of going small vs Essendon though. They'll send Hooker to TMac; can we even occupy Hurley? I don't rate his 1 on 1 defense but he is big and I think our delivery inside 50 would need to be like the first quarter vs Blues, for four quarter, for Fritta to get a chance to nudge Hurley under the footy and out of position.
I reckon we'll send Hurley to McDonald and shift Hooker forward. Francis on Fritsch.

Essendon tall defenders will murder us without anyone to bring the ball to ground and allow our smalls to come into the play. Better hope it rains.
Yeah what happened vs Swans basically; whenever they brought it to ground they got quality looks, but particularly struggled to build play up, and just couldn't retain the footy at all unless it was at least 6 v 6 inside forward fifty.

Don't like the chances of our guys kicking to advantage of our forwards against bigger, more athletic defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we'll send Hurley to McDonald and shift Hooker forward. Francis on Fritsch.
If Frost was still on our list this would be inspired.

Have a feeling that might be a tad too tall. I trust Nev on Stringer, that's the matchup he usually wins. Smith isn't too popular here but he had some nice spoils vs Blues 1 on 1, its his communication and IQ that's the issue. Frosty gave MCkernan unnecessary free kicks multiple times last matchup.

With our defense its more about communication anyway, on paper between Nev Smith and May there's a tonne of versatility for matchups.

Pretty sure Dons will kick at least 8 goals out the back if the Blues got 4 in a game.

I dunno, I feel like we still have a problem where we take the game on when we shouldn't, or slow down when we should play fast. The team struggles to stay on the same page with guys like Langdon, Viney or Brayshaw bombing or handballing to no one, while others like Harmes or Melksham will try and play a bit slower and keep the ball for a bit.

I also don't mind Hunt as a forward, but agree he's probably best suited for us down back and breaking lines. Then again, he's not a great kick so doesn't do much to solve our pus ball use going inside 50.

Harmes and Jones aren't great kicks but that is still good enough for Goodwin to play them in defence. We don't need him being pinpoint by foot , we need him linking up and breaking lines, what he does best, there's too many plodders down there currently.

Seems to me Goody has his pets, trying to shoehorn them all into the side even when it makes no sense whatsoever to play them in defence.

Harmes and Jones aren't great kicks but that is still good enough for Goodwin to play them in defence. We don't need him being pinpoint by foot , we need him linking up and breaking lines, what he does best, there's too many plodders down there currently.

Seems to me Goody has his pets, trying to shoehorn them all into the side even when it makes no sense whatsoever to play them in defence.
We need communication down back, its our biggest issue, hence why Harmes was trialled there in pre-season, and pretty clearly Jonesy as a leader should've helped that too.

We need to give the defense a chance to gel.

If Frost was still on our list this would be inspired.

Have a feeling that might be a tad too tall. I trust Nev on Stringer, that's the matchup he usually wins. Smith isn't too popular here but he had some nice spoils vs Blues 1 on 1, its his communication and IQ that's the issue. Frosty gave MCkernan unnecessary free kicks multiple times last matchup.

With our defense its more about communication anyway, on paper between Nev Smith and May there's a tonne of versatility for matchups.

Pretty sure Dons will kick at least 8 goals out the back if the Blues got 4 in a game.
I would have thought Jetty would go to Walla and Smith on Stringer (if Hooker was forward)

Maybe I haven't watched him enough but Petty had never screamed first rounder talent to me. Has had a couple of solid games in his career but otherwise has done f.a. at AFL level.

Not writing him off, but don't see how he's so much better than those taken above him (although it seems a pretty meh draft in hindsight overall. If the Crows actually gave Fogarty a solid run it might be different).

I thought he was absolute garbage early on but he impressed me when we play him as a forward last year. Defiently something to work with given his age. I've got more faith in Petty than Weid.

Don't rate ANB but reckon he is pretty stiff honestly, wouldn't have brought Hannan in myself. I like our forward setup IF it rains though, lot of pace at ground level and medium sized players who can mark it.
Hannan playing as some kind of surrogate tall I guess - he's got a decent jump at the footy.

We need communication down back, its our biggest issue, hence why Harmes was trialled there in pre-season, and pretty clearly Jonesy as a leader should've helped that too.

We need to give the defense a chance to gel.

? Lever??????

Why do we need another person barking orders down back?

Harmes plays his best footy in the middle, I'd rather see him and others rotated heavily on and off the bench than made to be a permanent defender just so he gets his game time... It's ridiculous honestly.

Jones has no business whatsoever in defence, neither does Brayshaw.

Hannan playing as some kind of surrogate tall I guess - he's got a decent jump at the footy.

Yep, no doubt him and vanders have been earmarked just to make a contest in the air and do all our work at ground level. Not expecting a whole lot from vanders first game up (He was pretty crap for about 6 quarters in 2018 before he found his gear) but he makes us a whole lot better I think.

I would have thought Jetty would go to Walla and Smith on Stringer (if Hooker was forward)
Think we want Lever playing loose off someone, and whilst I think Jake is a bit underrated 1 on 1(was quite good for a few games in 2018) you don't want him playing on a ruckman sized forward like Hooker or Mckernan.

Smith lined up on McKay, their number one guy, last week. I'd imagine he'd take a tall.

Yeah not quite sure how Nev matchup shakes up, Walla tough matchup for anyone. Rivers in his 2nd game...would be a tough ask, but arguably physically he's the best fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back