Preview Changes: Round 3 v Essendon

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Give TMac a long spell. Absolutely ineffectual all game. Jones is cooked. I can feel a flogging coming on next week...

We were pretty short down back. Oscar should come in for Smith.

Jackson isn’t ready, Weid to come in for him. We need a marking target.

Kozzy to come in, Melksham and Jones Were the 2 least influential Smaller players but both have credits in the bank, Melksham was average round 1 also though

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
In Kosi Weideman
Out Jackson Smith

Not sure if that messes us up our structures but Smith has gotta go and Jackson isn't ready. Not convinced by Weed but he's capable of taking a contested mark which is exactly what we need. Kosi picks himself I reckon. Not an ANB fan but he kicked 2 and directly assisted another. That's nearly 50% of our goals.

Yeah good run for Jacko but he didn’t influence the game at all. Inclined to give Smith some more time to prove himself as a defender. Melksham is one of my favourites, if he’s lost it that’s a huge loss. Had high hopes for Jones at HFF but honestly forgot that he was playing after QT, don’t think he lasts long sadly. Throw in Bennell and that’s five passengers before the ball was even bounced. Can only carry three max next week.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
In: Kozzy, Weid, Lockhart
Out: Jackson, Smith, Bennell

Harsh on Bennell but unless we can get significantly more time on ground out of him, don't think it's worth it. Despite the shortened quarters we looked cooked late, can't afford to be carrying players.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
I would omit Smith and put TMac in his place. The forward experiment is over. If he doesn't fire after a few games, omit and try someone else (Hibered or Omac I guess). Trying to think of a tall forward to replace him, I guess Brown?

Jackson out, Weid in for an extended period but last chance. Trade at the end of the year if he shows nothing. Jackson needs to work on a few things beforea return.

Harmes back to being a tagger. Jones out, don't care who replaces him.

Kozzie in for ANB.

First quarter game plan in - intense pressure and short, targeted kicks into forward 50.

Plenty of other passengers but that will do for this week. May on the treadmill, Viney and Gawn to visit the Wizard of Oz. Goody to stop being mates with everyone and actually do his job.

I would omit Smith and put TMac in his place. The forward experiment is over. If he doesn't fire after a few games, omit and try someone else (Hibered or Omac I guess). Trying to think of a tall forward to replace him, I guess Brown?

Jackson out, Weid in for an extended period but last chance. Trade at the end of the year if he shows nothing. Jackson needs to work on a few things beforea return.

Harmes back to being a tagger. Jones out, don't care who replaces him.

Kozzie in for ANB.

First quarter game plan in - intense pressure and short, targeted kicks into forward 50.

Plenty of other passengers but that will do for this week. May on the treadmill, Viney and Gawn to visit the Wizard of Oz. Goody to stop being mates with everyone and actually do his job.
ANB was good but otherwise agreed

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jackson not ready- give Weid a go.
Bennell, was decent but can't afford to carry someone playing 50% game time, Kosi in.
Smith, never again- Lockhart in.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Here’s what I think after watching only the first half of the highlights clip :)

Jackson will never do anything at our club, we can’t develop players so shouldn’t have drafted a project player - ridiculous waste of a pick for the MFC. Good pick for a club that can develop talent. New rule: We can only draft ready made players

Jones is finished and a legend though he is shouldn’t be getting a gane

May is crap and even when he isn’t fat he’s fat on the inside - delist. Better than hogan but only just

I’d also like Goodwin to get a mystery illness so we can get someone who might actually react in game

like couldn’t we have a simple rule- if they get 3 in a row we slow it down and play possession football

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Here’s what I think after watching only the first half of the highlights clip :)

Jackson will never do anything at our club, we can’t develop players so shouldn’t have drafted a project player - ridiculous waste of a pick for the MFC. Good pick for a club that can develop talent. New rule: We can only draft ready made players

Jones is finished and a legend though he is shouldn’t be getting a gane

May is crap and even when he isn’t fat he’s fat on the inside - delist. Better than hogan but only just

I’d also like Goodwin to get a mystery illness so we can get someone who might actually react in game

like couldn’t we have a simple rule- if they get 3 in a row we slow it down and play possession football
Was thinking the same thing. I know it was ugly but that's what Collingwood did to Richmond sure they didn't win but they really made it difficult for one the best scoring team in the comp. Surely we could have done the same to Carlton wouldn't need to maintain it all game because Carlton don't exactly have the best scoring power. Just long enough to stop the bleeding to be honest we are lucky Carlton were extremely wasteful.

Sad to see Jones not performing well anymore. I think deep in his heart he knows it too that's why he relinquished the captaincy.

Not really sure why we let May continue to take the kick outs he just kicked long and to the left constantly which became so predictable. For a person who is meant to be a leader in the backline he made some terrible mistakes. He did something the exact same thing as what he had a go at frost last year. Went to spoil didn't impact and Carlton got a goal out the back.

Disagreed with Jackson well the development part. Yes we have had a poor record in developing players in the past but more recently have gotten it better. However I must admit under the current coaching regime it will be harder.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
People need to ease up on Jackson, kid playing his FIRST game. I’m not for gifting games but I don’t there is advantage to dropping him next week (I always like when kids are given 2-3 games in a row)

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
People need to ease up on Jackson, kid playing his FIRST game. I’m not for gifting games but I don’t there is advantage to dropping him next week (I always like when kids are given 2-3 games in a row)
I agree. Didn't have much of an impact but showed glimpses, which is effectively all Weideman has done his entire career bar one game. Think Petty has shown more as a forward in his limited games.

Agree with saj on the Jackson calls. Yes he was a step slow yesterday but it's his first game ffs and he's an 18yo ruck, most teams arent dumb enough to play a guy who isn't ready yet but we are. May as well play him for a few in a row now that we have already gifted him a game.

Back