Changes Round 4 v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bewick and Mayes the only two who'd be under the pump after today you'd think. I reckon Beams in for Bewick will likely be the only change but if Bailey has a big game in the reserves tonight Mayes might make way after three average games to start the season. I reckon Cox should be persisted with. Had a shaky start today but worked into the game, chased hard all day and slotted a much needed goal in the 3rd against the run of play. Super talented player who we need to continue to get games into imo.

Perhaps I was watching a different game. Thought Bewick worked really hard today. Someone has to be dropped for Beams but didn't think there was a clear out based on todays game.

What actually happened with Beams? I missed the pre game. Is he right for next week?
If so
In: Beams, Mc Stay
Out: Bewick, Walker

Matho will make way for Beams I suspect. Rich maybe to come back in if hes back on two feet? I hope Cutler stays in. He missed a few goals but hes one of our better kicks. Him and Witherden off halfback makes us look a different side.

Perhaps I was watching a different game. Thought Bewick worked really hard today. Someone has to be dropped for Beams but didn't think there was a clear out based on todays game.
Bewick was ok but not one of the top five or ten.

Given he's fringe anyway and Beams has to come back in he seems like an obvious choice (Cutler put together a solid game but seems the other candidate).

With his career on the line those two goals he missed are not good enough. May seem harsh but Fagan is driving harder standards and you won't get much leeway if you are a fringe player particularly if you are an experienced player.

Mathieson out for Beams but Mayes must be on notice
Yeah the mids need to get about 20 plus more possessions.....or someone must rack up 30 plus...that would go some way to stopping the run on they got late in the third.More control over possession helps our defence so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With his career on the line those two goals he missed are not good enough. May seem harsh but Fagan is driving harder standards and you won't get much leeway if you are a fringe player particularly if you are an experienced player.
Lester missed two last week.....and still glacial like in movement. Mayes Bewick and Lester all vulnerable. Especially ,if Bailey continues on. Richmond,will not stretch us aerially, so McStay may have to wait,or have a huge game...wont hurt.

Lester Gone for beams only change was terrible today and offers us very little in attack.Unable to put pressure on in defence because he is so slow.Matho is a third year player and needs a bit more composure with his disposal but has more grunt inside than most of our list need to persevere.Bewick didnt play well and didnt take his opportunities 2 shots that were gettable but still outplayed Lester who just isnt up to it.Would be lucky to be on any other list let alone in the leadership group.Neafl is his go.

Mayes was rock solid - kept Wingard to 1 lucky goal and really nullified his effectiveness. Also went at 90% DE.

Mayes hasn't set the world alight this year, but he well and truly played his role today.

I reckon we'll keep it simple in terms of ins + outs

In:
Rich, Beams

Out:
Cox, Matho

Cox and Matho have had a few good weeks in the 1s and can take what they've learned and build on it in the NEAFL. I considered Bewick but he adds a lot of run and once again did the team thing this week.

I reckon we'll keep it simple in terms of ins + outs

In:
Rich, Beams

Out:
Cox, Matho

Cox and Matho have had a few good weeks in the 1s and can take what they've learned and build on it in the NEAFL. I considered Bewick but he adds a lot of run and once again did the team thing this week.
Matho wont improve composure in the neafl it is slower and he has time to take for a measured kick/handball.He needs an extended run in the seniors to improve that aspect under pressure.

Matho wont improve composure in the neafl it is slower and he has time to take for a measured kick/handball.He needs an extended run in the seniors to improve that aspect under pressure.

He also needs to earn his spot and was the weakest mid today. He offers no flexibility and with Beams back a mid has to go.

Players who will/should be considered for demotion:
Bewick- Just not consistent enough. has the talent but it doesnt come out anywhere near enough
Matherson: Is good when he gets the ball but just cant gut run yet when a turnover occurs. His endurance is not there yet.
Cutler: Still for me didn't show enough today when he had a chance to really get stuck in.
Lester: Running out of credit regardless of whether he's in the leadership group or not.
Mayes: Same as Lester. Its time Sammy started to lead the way considering the time he's been there.
Walker: Isn't contributing enough for his spot to be safe. Has a chance to be one of the first picked given the importance of the role he is expected to play but just isnt delivering all he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back