Prediction Changes: Round 4 Vs Adelaide Crows + prematch discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost every post of the last 50 has been about the match committee or JL. Because they’re made the ridiculously predictable response of selecting Banfield to replace Freddy. It’s impossible to talk about that without mentioning Banfield but no one is criticizing him as a person just his quality as a player. We can’t talk about the selection without mentioning him as a player.

And there is much about it that is unfathomable to those of us outside the club & foremost is why another player on our list, Surt who would seem to have the closest to the skill set we’re trying to cover can’t get a look in after showing some real promise in the preseason.

Why is it a fairytale that someone we gave a 12 month contract extension to, that was given specific areas to work on & in the coaches words “has unlocked the requisite intensity”, was played in the preseason & named as an emergency in round 1 might be considered as a replacement for a position he plays in?

Why do we have to get used to the idea he will never be selected again?

Why are you so sure he’s finished at the club?
I want Sturt in as much as the next guy, he offers more than Banfield in my opinion, and he adds something different to our forward line.

I think if he hasn't broken in now, he probably never will, it sucks, but that's the reality.

I want Sturt in as much as the next guy, he offers more than Banfield in my opinion, and he adds something different to our forward line.

I think if he hasn't broken in now, he probably never will, it sucks, but that's the reality.

Are you saying we should just accept it

Send an absolute s**t message.
Treacy- you’re out, play some minutes for Peel and we ll see

Sturt- you have no gametime, get some this weekend.

Banfield- you’ve done * all this season, been sub for one game. Don’t go earn it on the weekend- you’re in.

Will Brodie- you need to earn your spot back first.
JOM- you’re still building form and understanding of the team.

Honestly don’t understand the selections. Can’t have favourites
From the outside this appears true and it’s a massive issue.
Favouritism is absolute POISON in an AFL environment. You need everyone pulling together to win anything meaningful. Accountability and honesty from 1-44 on the list. The top sides all play for each other and have ravenous hunger for the little 1 percenters.
As a player trying to earn a professional living as a sportsman, the minute you see fellas getting gametime that haven’t earned it, or different rules for different players, unity of purpose across the squad quickly disappears. You start getting disenchantment, players complaining to their agents, a lingering cancer inside the inner sanctum that spreads like wildfire. It doesn’t matter about the individuals involved.
It’s the coach that the buck stops with. The coach cannot do much about the list he is provided with. But he can do everything about the mood of the playing group. The culture of accountability and equality that is set. “Reward for effort” to borrow a well worn cliche. That is directly in his control. You can’t have some players being rewarded and others not. Most players respond well to fairness and merit based selection. If they know they will be rewarded, they will respond in kind. An equal, merit based environment is key to winning flags. No matter how many talented individuals you have, if the entire squad isn’t buying into the greater vision, as a coach you are pushing s**t up a hill and fighting a losing battle.
People sometimes call certain coaches ruthless for making big calls. They are really just being fair.
Life isn’t fair in the normal world, but that’s no reason why it shouldnt be fair inside the 4 walls of the Fremantle football club. We will win nothing of note until it is. That much is certain.

I don't know about that. He was being talked up for how his game has developed, being in the mix and seemingly was so close to having a position. It could be as simple as them wanting Sturt to get at least a full game at Peel for his touch.

I don't know about that. He was being talked up for how his game has developed, being in the mix and seemingly was so close to having a position. It could be as simple as them wanting Sturt to get at least a full game at Peel for his touch.
A much more likely scenario than him being dead to the coaching staff.

1 AFL game in 5 years, in a position of need.
Has a 1 year deal? Yeah like a thoroughbred race horse we are just holding him back.
A bucket full of injuries hadn’t helped. I just think it’s more likely they’d like him to have the best chance. Either that or they’re winging it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling Freo are preparing to concede this one against Adelaide. Play all available against the Sharks this arvo and fly the best of them to Adelaide against the Suns.

If Freddy was dropped for the back flip celebration then that is dumb. Playing Banfield instead of Sturt is not going to help in 2024 or 25. Banfield will not get any better. He has reached his ceiling. An honest player like Sutcliffe, Sheridan or Suban but not likely to be there holding a premiership cup.

I’m not a fan of the match committee decisions but even I can’t imagine them dropping Freddie for a backflip.
Is he over there though?? Weird that he travelled if he’s out of the game. Maybe meeting family

I come here and read this s**t.

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

I’m not a fan of the match committee decisions but even I can’t imagine them dropping Freddie for a backflip.
Is he over there though?? Weird that he travelled if he’s out of the game. Maybe meeting family
Well if he's injured and a chance of playing next week no point keeping him at home. Plus he's from SA.

Lol he clearly wasn't dropped for the backflip

Also we are not conceding a game against a likely bottom 6 team in round 4 😂😂😂

The club just thinks this is our best team to win for some reason
They also thought giving up 2 first rounders and big pay packet for a back up ruckman was a good idea

Lol he clearly wasn't dropped for the backflip

Also we are not conceding a game against a likely bottom 6 team in round 4 😂😂😂

The club just thinks this is our best team to win for some reason
Can guarantee this would not be our best team if the WAFL was on and Sturt/Treacy/others were putting up consistent performances.

As uninspiring as Banfields inclusion is, the last game he played at AFL level was 16 touches and a goal. Treacy's last game he had 3 touches. And I can't recall sturt lighting it up in any of the recent WAFL scratchies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back