Prediction Changes: Round 5 Vs Adelaide Crows + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going to show my age here. As an East Freo support from way, way back, I felt like big Sean was channeling Bob Johnson on Sunday. Probably most posters won’t know what I am talking about, but Bob Johnson had the immovable object in the goal square thing to a tee.

Bob Johnson = Autumn Leaves.

JL is a cuddles coach and so probably won’t drop Colyer but he really should IMO. One goodish game doesn’t invalidate the poorer games and Crowden/Schultz were ahead of him before. Would Blakely keep Tucker out of the side if he had a week of WAFL under his belt or was coming back from concussion?

Would be nice to be proactive for once and not reactionary.

Because of his extra pace Colyer is more important structurally than Schultz or Crowden, and let's be honest they are all honest toilers not world beaters. Your analogy is a bit awry - the difference in class between Tucker and Blakely is more than the difference between Crowden/Schultz and Colyer

I still reckon Schultz is going to come back in but either he will be sub, or Sturt will be sub and Schultz in the 22. I reckon Mitch will be at Peel again.

Because of his extra pace Colyer is more important structurally than Schultz or Crowden, and let's be honest they are all honest toilers not world beaters. Your analogy is a bit awry - the difference in class between Tucker and Blakely is more than the difference between Crowden/Schultz and Colyer
Disagree on talent rankings. Have them clearly ahead of Colyer all attributes considered

I think the best part about Meek showing he can compete is that Lobb actually has to perform or Meek will push him out. Has had a free ride too long here.

I’m sorry but apart from goalkicking last year, Lobb has been very good for us. He’s had a free ride because he’s been in our top ten players since he’s been here. Not sure that’s a free ride tbh.

If Darcy is in the side and Lobb is fully fit, Meek will be no where near pushing Lobb out.

JL is a cuddles coach and so probably won’t drop Colyer but he really should IMO. One goodish game doesn’t invalidate the poorer games and Crowden/Schultz were ahead of him before. Would Blakely keep Tucker out of the side if he had a week of WAFL under his belt or was coming back from concussion?

Would be nice to be proactive for once and not reactionary.

You see what you want to see I guess.

Colyer was dreadful in round one but has been pretty decent since.

Crowden is seriously underrated on this board and will easily play 100 plus AFL games.

You see what you want to see I guess.

Colyer was dreadful in round one but has been pretty decent since.
And here I honestly thought I was one of Colyer's bigger fans wanting to give him a 1 year contract extension.

Would have thought he was horrendous round 1, passable round 2, invisible round 3 (not the only one) and good on the weekend. Still think Switta, Crowden and Schultz offer a lot more than he does

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And here I honestly thought I was one of Colyer's bigger fans wanting to give him a 1 year contract extension.

Would have thought he was horrendous round 1, passable round 2, invisible round 3 (not the only one) and good on the weekend. Still think Switta, Crowden and Schultz offer a lot more than he does

For the record I wouldn’t give him a one year deal at the end of the season.

But we’re talking about the team for this weekend. It’s early in the season and we’re 2-2. The fact Colyer is 30 this year doesn’t mean as much as it does when making list management decisions.

For the record I wouldn’t give him a one year deal at the end of the season.

But we’re talking about the team for this weekend. It’s early in the season and we’re 2-2. The fact Colyer is 30 this year doesn’t mean as much as it does when making list management decisions.
Haha, interesting, I like him as an experienced head who provides depth. Would rather continuing pumping games into younger players when fit and available given they offer as much or more than him anyway. Western keeps having 20 possession 2 goals games for Peel and hopefully he goes past Colyer on the depth chart as well by the back half of the year

I don't want to labour the point but how do they offer "a lot more"? All four of them are effort based B- to C+ graders on the basis of talent. No doubt each team needs those types but it's not like by playing Colyer we're keeping Toby Greene at Peel. And Colyer has the point of difference amongst his mediocrity which is some genuine pace.

I don't want to labour the point but how do they offer "a lot more"? All four of them are effort based B- to C+ graders on the basis of talent. No doubt each team needs those types but it's not like by playing Colyer we're keeping Toby Greene at Peel. And Colyer has the point of difference amongst his mediocrity which is some genuine pace.
I should change it to "more" rather than "a lot more"

Both are much better tacklers / pressure players

Crowden makes up for his lack of pace with being a terrific long, penetrative kick.

Schultz is a better mark and better around the goals, field kicking is as bad or worse than Colyer given its often not running at full pace.

I should also add that I think the age thing makes a bit of difference as well, we are still developing players a large part of the list and Crowden and Schultz have development left in them, Colyer isnt going to be there for our next push so giving him games over younger players that are at least as good as him is a mistake IMO

I think there needs to be an understanding of the roles those players are playing. Colyers role is different to Schultz in that he is a link player between mid & forward & is expected to run & carry the ball, which is a pretty important really, until we get our wings sorted.

Acres is not a run & carry wingman, but plays the traditional defensive sweeper at contests & is expected to be the first mid back defensively to help our back men outnumber the opponent forwards.

Until Freddy gets up on the wing or a metres gained type player is established, Colyer is pretty important to our structure. Although not playing mid, he is up just over 300 meters gained per game & if he finished off that first game in front of goals, would be averaging around a goal & a half a game.

Yes, that will be Westerns role, but he has a little way to go yet.

I think there needs to be an understanding of the roles those players are playing. Colyers role is different to Schultz in that he is a link player between mid & forward & is expected to run & carry the ball, which is a pretty important really, until we get our wings sorted.

Acres is not a run & carry wingman, but plays the traditional defensive sweeper at contests & is expected to be the first mid back defensively to help our back men outnumber the opponent forwards.

Until Freddy gets up on the wing or a metres gained type player is established, Colyer is pretty important to our structure. Although not playing mid, he is up just over 300 meters gained per game & if he finished off that first game in front of goals, would be averaging around a goal & a half a game.

Yes, that will be Westerns role, but he has a little way to go yet.
Its a good point but I'd still argue that regardless of the different role, we'd not be a worse team swapping him out. Do you think we'd be a worse team if he was the traditional Freo Thursday injury for this week?

I still reckon Schultz is going to come back in but either he will be sub, or Sturt will be sub and Schultz in the 22. I reckon Mitch will be at Peel again.
I reckon Sturt for Sub. Second game up is always tough. The downside is that he doesn’t play at all. But the conservative route with Sturt is reasonable option.

We really need to win this one if we are serious about our season. There are no excuses so naturally I expect freo to lose.

Its a good point but I'd still argue that regardless of the different role, we'd not be a worse team swapping him out. Do you think we'd be a worse team if he was the traditional Freo Thursday injury for this week?
I’m probably the wrong person to ask as I don’t mind him & think he plays quite a difficult role, but what I would say is he would be racking them up if at Richmond as his role suits their style perfectly. (Also Aarts isn’t a premiership player)

Big Bob Johnson developed going to ground in goal square marking contests into an art form. Hence “Autumn Leaves” bestowed upon him by rude opposition supporters.
Young Sean is coming along nicely in developing this aspect of his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back