Prediction Changes: Round 5 Vs Adelaide Crows + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Bandy is a big in.

Can see why for the ins and he was a bit rusty but yeah, long term definitely agree.
I think everyone incl. J-Lo wants Sturt playing AFL. He was barely sighted in the first half and Schultz (who does have his haters) has been quite good and consistent this season prior to his concussion. The extra games in the WAFL along with what looked like some managed mins in AFL last week will hopefully set him up well for a run of sustained games. It is well known (and I’ve personally experienced myself) that second game back from extended rehab layoff is difficult. Sydney made the call to rest Buddy second game back this year.

Can’t say I’m overly happy that Sturt is gone after one game.
Agreed. Someone here last week said that they wanted to be able to go to a freo game and relax when a dockers forward marks the ball within 35 m of goal, safe in the knowledge it will very likely be converted. Like the West Coast fans can when the ball is in Kennedy or Darlings hands.
It’s a while since we had someone like that in our team. At the moment when Tabs/Lobb/Darcy/Fyfe/any of the small forwards (bar maybe Walters sometimes) get that opportunity you are on the edge of your seat praying it won’t skew horribly off the side of the boot. Sturt looks like he could be that person who just converts reliably.

Agreed. Someone here last week said that they wanted to be able to go to a freo game and relax when a dockers forward marks the ball within 35 m of goal, safe in the knowledge it will very likely be converted. Like the West Coast fans can when the ball is in Kennedy or Darlings hands.
It’s a while since we had someone like that in our team. At the moment when Tabs/Lobb/Darcy/Fyfe/any of the small forwards (bar maybe Walters sometimes) get that opportunity you are on the edge of your seat praying it won’t skew horribly off the side of the boot. Sturt looks like he could be that person who just converts reliably.
He will be, but he’s gotta get the ball to have shots & TBH I forgot he was playing during the first half last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just happy we have enough good players available t have a healthy competiton for spots

Competition is good but my (hopefully unfounded) fear is that some are going to get free rides.

Lobb for example; we all want him to do well but if he doesn't kick goals this game and next do you really think he is going to be dropped for Meek who kicked two goals today and also had 31 hitouts?

Or if Shultz has another game like his last AFL against Carlton where he kicks no goals and one tackle will he get dropped for Sturt immediately just like Sturt went out for kicking only one goal and no tackles?

Is it wrong to want us to get an injury in the first centre bounce? Nothing serious such that they can play next week of course.

Re: Sturt - It's not like one of our forwards isn't going to spud it up this week or next. He'll be back soon or else I'll punch JL in the face.
You making the trip down with your air rifle?

Competition is good but my (hopefully unfounded) fear is that some are going to get free rides.

Lobb for example; we all want him to do well but if he doesn't kick goals this game and next do you really think he is going to be dropped for Meek who kicked two goals today and also had 31 hitouts?

Or if Shultz has another game like his last AFL against Carlton where he kicks no goals and one tackle will he get dropped for Sturt immediately just like Sturt went out for kicking only one goal and no tackles?
Or Crowden gets a chance. Schulz won’t get away with much either.

This Meek compared to Lobb thing has got seriously out of hand. The Meek/Darcy combination got absolutely slaughtered against Carlton ... Lobb's never been beat like that before. He's massively underrated on this board.
Ideally - yes he kicks 1-2 goals a game. Reality is, we wouldn't expect that from Meek/Darcy who are miles behind in terms of athleticism and positioning.

This Meek compared to Lobb thing has got seriously out of hand. The Meek/Darcy combination got absolutely slaughtered against Carlton ... Lobb's never been beat like that before. He's massively underrated on this board.
Ideally - yes he kicks 1-2 goals a game. Reality is, we wouldn't expect that from Meek/Darcy who are miles behind in terms of athleticism and positioning.
While I somewhat agree, Lobb does get ragdolled in the ruck and he’s not that efficient then Meek in regard. Meek competes, has rarely been beaten. Lobb doesn’t use his athleticism enough. He has it, but it would be incredible if he uses it every game.

Sort of got a mixed reactions about Lobb and Meek.

Lobb is fresh from recovery with an injury. Yet is someone that can kick 30-40 goals a season.

Meek has been solid. He has shown to be capable of playing AFL. He will do well in the WAFL

Can he really though? He is 28 (or thereabouts) and he has only once gotten close to that (In 2016 with GWS he got 29 goals) and only once had a season where he has averaged more that a goal a game. In the last 10 games of last year he kicked 4 goals; even Sean Darcy through that same period playing almost solely from the ruck got that many last year.

Don't get me wrong - I am not arguing that Lobb isn't a better player than Meek at this stage, but our coaching team are relying on him to hold down a key position post and keep a tall defender honest, as well as provide backup in the ruck. He is fine as backup, but there has to be question marks over the former of those requirements.

Lobb for a big man has reasonable pace, has a good leap and is a good contested mark.
Meek at the minute is not up to Lobbs standards.
Some of the comments on here remind of the supporters who couldn't see any value in Sandilands and wanted Sandy replaced by Griff. ;)

Lobb for a big man has reasonable pace, has a good leap and is a good contested mark.
Meek at the minute is not up to Lobbs standards.
Some of the comments on here remind of the supporters who couldn't see any value in Sandilands and wanted Sandy replaced by Griff. ;)
Meek is great to have as back up, if he keeps getting 30+ H/Os and scoring 2 goals a game like he did against the bulldogs then he will keep Lobb honest which can only be seen as a positive.

Meek is great to have as back up, if he keeps getting 30+ H/Os and scoring 2 goals a game like he did against the bulldogs then he will keep Lobb honest which can only be seen as a positive.

Meek showed in the first two games he’s adequate back up at worst for the No.1 ruck position.

He was poor against Carlton and was a non-factor against Hawthorn largely due to Darcy stepping up his minutes in the ruck.

Meek is not in consideration for Lobb’s role imo but will keep Darcy on his toes. You’d think twice about playing Darcy and Meek in the same side if Lobb were to be injured. I’m more than comfortable with Taberner or Treacy rucking 15-20% of the game tbh, especially against teams with comparable second ruck options (ie most teams).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back