Prediction Changes: Round 5 Vs Gold Coast Suns + Pre-match discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the changes. If it's not too much to ask, could we please play good footy now?
GC at their best are a fairly competitive team. Chol, King and Casboult are handy towers and Rowell is a bull.

Witts being out means nothing as we’ve dominated the taps all year and still struggling with connection/synergy.

Tough game. You can’t back us in until we show something.

Thought we’d be young and inexperienced with those changes…. we’ve dropped down to an average of 72 games, lowest by far of the fully announced teams.

temper expectations everyone!

Kangaroos beat us and we struggled against Eagles.

Tempered!!

Would of liked these additions plus a few others to our team from the get go. We are inexperienced, but sometimes youth brings vibrance to a team.

Wow. I’m actually stunned. Sturt got a start & Walker survived.

Can posters lining up to pot them if they don’t destroy the game straight away please compare them to Alex Pearce & Matt Taberner & what they’ve contributed this year.

Yes it’s unlikely Sturt will kick a bag but hopefully he’ll add some flair & intelligence to our front half.
Always love and respect your opinion E Shed, we need to back him in for a few games regardless how he goes this weekend.

Whilst I like the changes, do they have a hint of desperation about them? It looks like the coaches asked a supporter to pick the team this week. It’s risky introducing so many new or inexperienced players in one game, it’s an all or nothing approach. All well and good if we win but if we lose? Ew, I don’t even want to think about it.

So many players who looked terrific in the preseason are inexplicably playing poorly in the season proper. Why is that? If it was just one or two players down on form I could understand that, but there are just so many! Have the coaches failed to prepare them mentally for the expectations that followed last year? And now they think they can turn the season around by injecting youth and inexperience? That concerns me a little. As a supporter I wanted this to happen, but from a coaching point of view it seems kind of dumb. I mean what happens if the new guys are at the foot of the stats sheet at the end of the game? Do you keep playing them? Do you give them time to find their feet? Are we now fully committed to playing the new guys? It seems to me that if we lose, the coaches don’t have too many more levers to pull.

Wilson deserved his place in the team based on his preseason form, but we’re looking for more drive and dash off the half back line so we turn to a 26 year old journeyman. Yikes!

I like Johnson starting in the middle, but he should have been there in game 1. And now he’s been plonked in the middle in the hope that he can solve our contested ball issue, ahead of a proven contested ball winner in Brodie. No pressure kid!

Sturt is another one whom I think should have been in the team right from the get go. He showed promise on a wing in the preseason game but he didn’t exactly kill a pig there. Now we need 15-20 possessions from him and to provide some connection with the forwards, something Hughes and Henry have failed to do. He seems more suited to a forward role to me but a supposed lack of defensive pressure prevented him from securing a spot there. I thought he might just take Banfield’s place but he’s listed to play on a wing. This is a big ask, new role, relatively inexperienced at AFL level, playing in a team under pressure and lacking run and connection, final year of his contract too isn’t it?
It doesn’t feel like he’s being set up for success but I seriously, seriously hope he has a good game.

Go Freo!

Whilst I like the changes, do they have a hint of desperation about them? It looks like the coaches asked a supporter to pick the team this week. It’s risky introducing so many new or inexperienced players in one game, it’s an all or nothing approach. All well and good if we win but if we lose? Ew, I don’t even want to think about it.

So many players who looked terrific in the preseason are inexplicably playing poorly in the season proper. Why is that? If it was just one or two players down on form I could understand that, but there are just so many! Have the coaches failed to prepare them mentally for the expectations that followed last year? And now they think they can turn the season around by injecting youth and inexperience? That concerns me a little. As a supporter I wanted this to happen, but from a coaching point of view it seems kind of dumb. I mean what happens if the new guys are at the foot of the stats sheet at the end of the game? Do you keep playing them? Do you give them time to find their feet? Are we now fully committed to playing the new guys? It seems to me that if we lose, the coaches don’t have too many more levers to pull.

Wilson deserved his place in the team based on his preseason form, but we’re looking for more drive and dash off the half back line so we turn to a 26 year old journeyman. Yikes!

I like Johnson starting in the middle, but he should have been there in game 1. And now he’s been plonked in the middle in the hope that he can solve our contested ball issue, ahead of a proven contested ball winner in Brodie. No pressure kid!

Sturt is another one whom I think should have been in the team right from the get go. He showed promise on a wing in the preseason game but he didn’t exactly kill a pig there. Now we need 15-20 possessions from him and to provide some connection with the forwards, something Hughes and Henry have failed to do. He seems more suited to a forward role to me but a supposed lack of defensive pressure prevented him from securing a spot there. I thought he might just take Banfield’s place but he’s listed to play on a wing. This is a big ask, new role, relatively inexperienced at AFL level, playing in a team under pressure and lacking run and connection, final year of his contract too isn’t it?
It doesn’t feel like he’s being set up for success but I seriously, seriously hope he has a good game.

Go Freo!
Will be interesting to see at what point the club decides that the season is effectively done and tries a range of players in a variety of positions to get the mix right for 2024. Possibly this is the start of that process. There have been many players drafted in one position who end up excelling once they were tried in another.

Go Freo!
Not sure I agree. Sturt is what the forward line needs, a point of difference. He will play high half forward not wing. Johnson will hopefully never be out of the team again, he looks the goods. I don't see these as desperation, they're part of recalibrating the way we play. The Wagner one is the only scratch head for me, I didn't think he was that good for Peel and whilst he looks an athlete that can find the pill I am preparing myself for some wtf moments. Can't see him as markedly improving the 22 as I don't think he brings anything new to the table whereas the other two I definitely can if they play to their potential. Maybe Wagner can bring some mongrel as his point of difference, we need that

Can I add Treacy to that list as well or is that a taboo subject?
Odd as this may sound, I woke up this morning thinking about Josh :)
I dont think he will ever be an AFL quality forward sadly. However I wonder if we could turn him into a tall running winger? Good kick, reasonable endurance, likes getting down and dirty. Seemed to play better last weekend when was around the ball. Worth a shot playing him there at Peel and see what happens. Build some endurance, anything could happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think he will ever be an AFL quality forward sadly. However I wonder if we could turn him into a tall running winger? Good kick, reasonable endurance, likes getting down and dirty. Seemed to play better last weekend when was around the ball. Worth a shot playing him there at Peel and see what happens. Build some endurance, anything could happen.
I've never seen him run full tilt, is he quick?

I could kind of picture him as an Acres replacement.

Go Freo!
Geez, it’s a bit of damned if you do, damned if you don’t around here.

Three of the concerns I had coming into the season were the amount of turnover to key parts of the squad, the young age of the squad and the level they would adapt to a faster game plan.

The combination of the first two can easily account for the fumbliness and hesitancy in connecting plays (and would make it hard to read how effective any changes to the gameplan might be). I’m fairly reassured by what I saw in the preseason (and the connection previously) that the elements, should they coalesce, can hit some pretty high ceilings. Of course, it can be a case of the "when".

One thing to be mindful of this week is the unique conditions the Norwood Oval presents. The once-off nature with the size of it could be the opportunity to take a free swing at trying some off-the-wall tweaks to how we go about it. Afterward, you can more easily then bin them, keep for future reference, or incorporate immediately, given it has an experimental feel.

I've never seen him run full tilt, is he quick?

I could kind of picture him as an Acres replacement.
He has good speed, recording a 2.97 seconds 20m sprint time at the Vic Country combine.
Speed on a wing is only part of it....need endurance and a quick turn of pace when needed.
Trying him on a wing wouldnt be the worst idea I dont think

Last edited:
GC at their best are a fairly competitive team. Chol, King and Casboult are handy towers and Rowell is a bull.

Witts being out means nothing as we’ve dominated the taps all year and still struggling with connection/synergy.

Tough game. You can’t back us in until we show something.
big levi is being rested for this one

Go watch his goals in his first season, he was leading straight at the ball carrier and taking contested marks in the F50. People were proclaiming he would kick 50 a season in a fee years time. Nothing has changed he just needs ti be given a proper shot.

Go watch his goals in his first season, he was leading straight at the ball carrier and taking contested marks in the F50. People were proclaiming he would kick 50 a season in a fee years time. Nothing has changed he just needs ti be given a proper shot.
I did watch his goals in his first season....

Josh is worth a try at Centre Half Back at Peel I reckon

Can just see us not experimenting with him , get nothing for him ,and then becoming a Chris Tarrant, Josh Battle Darcy Moore

I agree with others in that I don’t think he’ll ever be a number 1 KPF. Doesn’t have the point of difference in speed, marking or agility. I think he’ll have a career as either a fwd/ruck, defender, or, if his tank is actually really really good, some kind of mid.

We still need someone to partner with Amiss

Last edited:
I agree with others in that I don’t think he’ll ever be a number 1 KPF. Doesn’t have the point of difference in speed agility, marking or agility. I think he’ll have a career as either a fwd/ruck, defender, or, if his tank is actually really really good, some kind of mid.

We still need someone to partner with Amiss
Agree with this. I think forward ruck is his go at the moment. With all the zoning you need more tricks than a Dunstall lead and mark.

Amiss has shown that ability whilst also having plenty of tricks to out body much bigger opponents. Also can work the ground ball.

Treacy could be worth a shot at CHB at some stage.

I know you want Naughton - personally I see that as a pipe dream but I was wrong on Jackson. But what I wasn’t wrong on was the massive trade price. I think from what Naughton has projected he will cost more than LJ and possibly more than Cameron to Geelong.

That scares me beyond belief.

Take the lower cost more mobile option in Georgiades who can work in well with Amiss and LJ/Treacy.

Agree with this. I think forward ruck is his go at the moment. With all the zoning you need more tricks than a Dunstall lead and mark.

Amiss has shown that ability whilst also having plenty of tricks to out body much bigger opponents. Also can work the ground ball.

Treacy could be worth a shot at CHB at some stage.

I know you want Naughton - personally I see that as a pipe dream but I was wrong on Jackson. But what I wasn’t wrong on was the massive trade price. I think from what Naughton has projected he will cost more than LJ and possibly more than Cameron to Geelong.

That scares me beyond belief.

Take the lower cost more mobile option in Georgiades who can work in well with Amiss and LJ/Treacy.
Georgiades (and none of those names) still arent what we need, we need a genuine number 1 KPF. I seem to always underestimate the trade cost, but if the tea leaves are all lined up, trading out more than Darcy for Naughton would represent a monumental failure of trading. There would have to be so much going on behind the scenes for two young gun KPPs traded in contract that it has to be clear to everyone involved in such a trade that there is no trade unless the two are equal value - which they are as far as I'm concerned

I always kind of thought of him as our answer to Jack Darling, without all the w:anchor:y off field. A big boddied, marking forward who could crash packs.

But kingswood71 has a point. If he's got the tank I'm more than happy for him to be on the wing, as long as he continues to kick towards the goals.

It would be a shame to waste such a natural kicking motion if it was only used to kick us out of defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back