Preview Round 6 v Geelong Cats (Hubtastic at the SCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are our Lions staying while they are in Syd?

I believe they're training at Manly. It would make the most sense that they're in a hotel there then given there's plenty but I don't know which.

Have teams been designated as home team/away team when playing on neutral grounds? Who gets the home team rooms? Who wears their home kits? 😮

Geelong is the home team, because they're now based out of Sydney. Technically there isn't a neutral ground any more.

I can see the argument for dropping Ah Chee and personally don't think he is offering us anything Answerth couldn't but just don't think Fages has that mindset whilst we're winning.
2 out of his 4 games so far this season he has accumulated single digit possessions. Thats not what Fagan & Co brought him in to do. If he is to inject leg speed coming out of our back half along with high quality disposal, he needs to lift his game soon as I dont think he has too much credit left in the bank. In saying that, I'm sure they will give him every chance to prove himself & back their decision to bring him to the club. Answerth & Witheren along with 25 other players are all travelling to Sydney in the hub for the next 2 games. Not sure they would bring them to Sydney unless they are a chance of being included in the best 22.

SCG is similar to the Gabba, but also fairly similar to the MCG that Geelong plays at very often so I'm not sure it really favours one team over the other. As Saucery says, the main change is the removal of a disadvantage of playing on the individualistic and unfamiliar dimensions of GHMBA.

I had some diagrams of different playing surfaces somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them out.

I had some diagrams of different playing surfaces somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them out.

Were they like these:

The SCG is pretty similar to the Gabba and both are pretty similar to the MCG, just a bit shorter.

Goomba Stadium is a bit longer but a lot narrower.

Overlaid on to the MCG (SCG is red, Gabba is maroon):

ZqfCU6j.png

And the same overlay for GHMBA (blue-grey):

WJ6y5bk.png

Images from , which has the rest of the grounds as well if you want to check it out.

Were they like these:

Kind of. Mine had dimensions and I'd started collating a bunch of suburban grounds as well. There's some funky grounds around the traps. Buggered if I can find them though.

It's interesting the things that a simple ellipse drawn with given dimensions doesn't show. For instance, when I measured it recently, the northern wing of The Gabba (using the goal-to-goal line as an axis) is considerably fatter than the southern (~81.5m vs ~74m)

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why AhChee is still in the side? I get Fagan wanted to give him a chance to settle in, but he struggled in the pre-season practice matches and he hasn't improved at all. They're far better players who deserve the opportunity to step up and they should be given the chance.
Coaches are human (even the near perfect Fagan)

Can anyone explain to me why AhChee is still in the side? I get Fagan wanted to give him a chance to settle in, but he struggled in the pre-season practice matches and he hasn't improved at all. They're far better players who deserve the opportunity to step up and they should be given the chance.
Because they have a long term plan that includes Ah Chee in the 22 that they believe in.

Coaches are human (even the near perfect Fagan)
Fagan is a deity, like Ryan Lester.

He may be human as well. I put nothing past him.

Seriously though I have never heard a footy person talk such sense. Wouldn't you like him to be the head master at your kids school.

Edit. I put this up before reading dianod's, my fellow acolyte, post.

Because they have a long term plan that includes Ah Chee in the 22 that they believe in.
Thanks for balancing my very cynical view MM. I understand the theory - bring in a quick moving, penetrating kick to the backline. However Ah Chee isn’t improving and looks out of step with the rest of the team. His stats are very ordinary. I think it is at the point that further time in the first may further damage his confidence. Over the years I have observed that players transferring to a new club take different times to adjust to a new environment and new role. Ah Chee may prove to be a success in the longer term. I know the scratch match situation is not ideal but I believe time out of the side is best for the player and the Team.

Im a bit either way on Ah Chee. Like others I can see the potential there with his speed, but he wasnt great and could be dropped for that.

personally I would like to see either Ely or Dev in for CEY. I think it might be time to move past Matho and give the youngsters a go. But have to trust the coaches in who has been performing.

Also would like to see Payne in too but again it might be too many changes after a good win. Although it is a short break so also wouldnt be surprised if others come up sore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for balancing my very cynical view MM. I understand the theory - bring in a quick moving, penetrating kick to the backline. However Ah Chee isn’t improving and looks out of step with the rest of the team. His stats are very ordinary. I think it is at the point that further time in the first may further damage his confidence. Over the years I have observed that players transferring to a new club take different times to adjust to a new environment and new role. Ah Chee may prove to be a success in the longer term. I know the scratch match situation is not ideal but I believe time out of the side is best for the player and the Team.
I don't dis-agree with you about his ordinary performances thus far but they coaching group need to show faith in their decision to get him to Brisbane and give him every chance to succeed. If it were me, I would have dropped Rayner last year and would drop Ah Chee this week however Fagan & Co are the ones making that call & I dont think he will miss out against Geelong. Maybe the week after should he not improve on his performances thus far.

Luckless Lion suffers setback, young gun tears ACL
IT'S A triple blow for Brisbane on the injury front with Marcus Adams, Cam Ellis-Yolmen and Connor McFadyen set to spend time on the sidelines.

Luckless defender Adams had a foot operation after round one, but scans showed this week that he's suffered a stress reaction and could be out for a further two months. "We did a bit of investigation and that's going to take a little bit longer than we thought, so he might be another six to eight weeks just to let that settle," Brisbane's high performance manager Damien Austin said of Adams.

In a cruel blow just a week after performing strongly against Adelaide's Matt Crouch in a scratch match, McFadyen will undergo a knee reconstruction. "They played a bit of match practice and Connor did his ACL so that's really disappointing for him," Austin said. "He's been really positive and will have an operation this week."

Midfielder Ellis-Yolmen will not head to New South Wales for the next two games after injuring his calf in the first half against Port Adelaide in round five. "He's got a strain, it is only minor so that will probably keep him out for the next one to two weeks," Austin said.

The news is better for skipper Dayne Zorko, who should return from a calf injury. "He's ticked everything off and we'll probably put him in," Austin said of the captain. However, Zorko is still carrying some soreness around his Achilles.

The 27 to go to the Hub? The 22 that played v Port minus CEY.

6 positions up for grabs- Dayne Zorko, Deven Robertson, Alex Witherden, Jack Payne, Sam Skinner, Allen Christensen.

I think that covers all areas of the ground as well as can be expected in case of injury.

The 27 to go to the Hub? The 22 that played v Port minus CEY.

6 positions up for grabs- Dayne Zorko, Deven Robertson, Alex Witherden, Jack Payne, Sam Skinner, Allen Christensen.

I think that covers all areas of the ground as well as can be expected in case of injury.
When does the squad get announced?

Jed Bews, rolled his ankle in the Cat's game on the weekend. Went to Charlie last time, will likely do so again. Chris Scott mentioned he's come up sore but will be good enough to play.

It's interesting the things that a simple ellipse drawn with given dimensions doesn't show. For instance, when I measured it recently, the northern wing of The Gabba (using the goal-to-goal line as an axis) is considerably fatter than the southern (~81.5m vs ~74m)

That would explain why the play always seems to be over that side! (from a Section 11er)

Jed Bews, rolled his ankle in the Cat's game on the weekend. Went to Charlie last time, will likely do so again. Chris Scott mentioned he's come up sore but will be good enough to play.

Doesn't worry me - we don't rely on any one player to score.

Ah Chee's game on the weekend I don't think can even be summed up by his terrible disposal count and amount of turnovers. Saw a few instances of him absolutely failing to stick a tackle or just going to the wrong spots.

Normally happy to give new recruits a bit more time but this was one of the worst games I've seen from someone in a Lions guernsey since Claye Beams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back