Prediction Changes: Round 6 Vs North Melbourne + Pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Team, with the game day thread only a few hours away and the sensitive nature of the topic, we are going to let this thread discuss all things do to with the game AND accept the fact not discussing politics would be difficult in this situation.

We will be lenient on political talk, however, it does not mean we’ll allow shitty twitter opinion posts from any South American fluffy horse-like creatures and it does not mean you can degrade / be rude to other posters (sarcastic or otherwise).

Now let’s all go enjoy the fact it is a long weekend discriminating variant and we can do essentially whatever we want tonight

Ya mods
Snuffaluphagus, BeinPurplenGreen, Tonga Bob

If Cerra doesn't get up then Crowden comes in. I know there wasn't a lot of impact today but his first game in a long time and his first touch on the wing was pure gold, competes with heart and his delivery i50 was class as well.

Sturt for Treacy, I think another game like that will impact his confidence more than getting dropped. He's got the tools 100% but let's not demoralise the kid. Kick another bag in the WAFL bro.

Lobb was never going to be a world beater today and still managed to get a few shots on goal. He'll be better for the run.

It's crazy how much Brayshaw has come on .. he is ahead of Fyfe right now. He can expect that tag to come back in a hurry.

Mundy is rediculously elite, we all know that. I can't help but notice that every time his name is mentioned in a presser they pump up his off field form as well. He is definitely being groomed as a mid coach or something and his current form may be throwing a spanner in the works of their plans to migrate him to that next season.

We're on our way.. no doubt about it

In: Sturt and Crowden
Out: Cerra and Treacey

I wouldn't be surprised if Darcy pulls up sore and is managed. Which brings Meek in.

Watson needs to get some minutes in the wafl after being the 24th man. Blakely is named as the medical sub.

Tucker given one more run in the wafl.

You thought Walters played bad today?

I remember early last season people were writing off Mundy when he returned slowly from his injury. Looking at it right now, even though he’s 36 later this year, it’s hard to comprehend he be not be with us next season.

Walters will be fine. I thought he was okay today tbh. Worked into the game and some of his work just beyond the fifty in third and fourth terms were vital.

In terms of changes I don’t really think there’s any reason to change the 22 that played most of game.

Even if Cerra is fit probably doesn’t hurt to give him the week off against the bottom placed side.

Only question is who replaces Crowden as the medical sub. I’d probably hold Blakely and Duman over from Peel.

I remember early last season people were writing off Mundy when he returned slowly from his injury. Looking at it right now, even though he’s 36 later this year, it’s hard to comprehend he be not be with us next season.

Walters will be fine. I thought he was okay today tbh. Worked into the game and some of his work just beyond the fifty in third and fourth terms were vital.

He won't be dropped for now . Too many runs on the board and was involved in 3 or 4 critical passages of play today.

But he's approaching that cliff Ballas encountered later in his career. On top of that he plays for frees constantly and seems to go for the marks the talls should cutting them off at times. He needs to be front and centre to the contest crumbing more.

Time to give Valente a crack... yeah yeah he's not in form... stuff it.

Would love to see someone debut.

North were and are horrendous.

Keep Treacy.

Not against Sturt, Henry coming in. Crowden should come in if it's for Cerra.

Before the Cerra injury I was going to argue for old man Mundy to have a week off and freshen up for the Derby. No chance of that now.
Tucker and Crowden into the 22 for Cerra and Treacy. Take your pick from peel for sub, maybe Henry or Blakely?
Mundy has a Brownlow medal to compete for. He won’t get any votes sitting in the stand being “rested”!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit hyperbolic? He barely had any impact on the contest and kicked zero goals, what is his role?

His best is great but I don't recall when we last saw it.

Walters

i)He kicked one to Taberner at the top of the square. Goal.

ii)Inside 50m kick to Shultz 30m out . Goal.

iii) When Aish tapped that ball over to him in the 3rd quarter, he didn't go outside again to Aish on his left side - instead drew two Crows players towards him and handballed to Fyfe which then created the space for Aish to cut inside and goal.

iv) Can't remember which goal it was in the run of 4 in the last quarter, but a centre square clearance in the last quarter Walters came off the back of the square as the Crows were flicking it around and won the ball with a tackle, which Brayshaw was allowed to take the advantage and we scored a direct goal.

4 goal scoring involvements in a 2 goal win.

Well for a supposed experienced leader, Walters needs to start growing up. Him & Fyfe are just completely different in that regard.

From what I see on the ground and have seen off the field, It just feels as though Fyfe has accepted his current fate more than Walters. He knows that the ultimate success (if he were to achieve it) will be because of the younger guys and that you need to support them. It's why he's been high off Darcy, Cox & Ryan for years, and the upcoming midfield brigade. He knows he has to take a bit of a backseat for developments' sake. Look at how much of his own game he has sacrificed recently for all those repeat defensive efforts he puts in on and off the ball, all the pressure and desperation acts he provides to help inspire and support the youngsters now through grunt action. He does his job for the team and is unselfish about it.

Then you have Walters - ducking and diving with arms spread out whenever he's in a contest, and you can bet instead of holding the ball up or providing a second or third effort, the opposition has it and is charging forward with the ball. He's constantly throwing his arms around like a moron with bad body language, yelling at the umpires and his own teammates when he doesn't get his way. It's just embarassing. 2 seasons nearly of this s**t too. It's not a "slow start"

He may have won a few games off his own boot in 2019, but that was a long time ago in footy. We saw glimpses in the second half of how much more of an impact on the game he has if he just plays more disciplined and team-orientated football. He acts as if we still need him to be a match-winner, always trying to be flashy which has backfired constantly. We just need him to start playing his actual, natural game and team role more for the sake of himself and others.

He's honestly lucky Switkowski is injured. Seriously needs a wake-up call by being dropped.

But, as pissed off as I have been with him especially after my rant just now, I'll still back him to turn things around soon - because we will need him to come online properly once we start playing teams that aren't Bottom 6.

Walters

iv) Can't remember which goal it was in the run of 4 in the last quarter, but a centre square clearance in the last quarter Walters came off the back of the square as the Crows were flicking it around and won the ball with a tackle, which Brayshaw was allowed to take the advantage and we scored a direct goal.

Huge tackle against their ruckman. Stuck it and brought him down.

Bit hyperbolic? He barely had any impact on the contest and kicked zero goals, what is his role?

His best is great but I don't recall when we last saw it.
Yeah Walters is not playing at his best. But his best is the best 22 in the entire comp. he hasn’t fallen to the level where he’s not best 22 at Freo. Far from it. He’s probably in the 10-15th best player for us at the moment. Involved in several scores today and still has a touch of class with ball in hand.
Hughes has got to be on thin ice now. His lack of composure on the ball is a liability and a trait that really can’t be fixed very much by coaching. Can see him being like a deer in headlights against the Eagles in the derby.
Tucker can easily come in next week. We brought Lobb back off no WAFL game time at all. Cerra may still get up but wouldn’t take any chances.
Happy with either Sturt or Treacy for the last spot. Probably lean towards Sturt at this point.
Could Treacy have done a bit of ruckwork instead of Lobb today I wonder? Not like Lobb was hugely effective in the ruck contests...

Yeah everyone can stop with the "Walters had no impact" bullsh*t.

Just from memory he delivered 2 absolute pearlers i50 to leading forwards, so thats 2 goals you can credit to him.

Then theres the tackle off the edge in the square in the last qtr that lead to a goal.

No impact my arse

Walters won't be dropped and shouldn't be. I gave him a bit of a bath on here a few weeks back about his leadership and that he needs to stop thinking he needs to win games solo ... I thought he showed decent leadership from what I saw today. I still think he tries to do too much himself at times. Every time he played the team role today we scored. Every time he didn't I think the ball got turned over. Schultz looked like a superstar today by just playing his role. The criticisms of Walters will similarly dry up if he does the same. Love how much Fyfe and Mundy seem to be enjoying playing again after having started to empower the youngsters around them.

In my (admittedly non-football) sporting experience, getting ahead of yourselves is the rocky road to ruin. OK, Norths are at the bottom but any team on any day can produce the performance of their lives.

I see merit in resting a couple of our players to avoid injury and so keep them fit and firing for our "away" Derby (shudder), but no-one should just assume next week's opponents will be a walkover. Nothing less than sharp footy is required to keep us on a winning climb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back