Prediction Changes: Round 6 Vs North Melbourne + Pre-match discussion

Team, with the game day thread only a few hours away and the sensitive nature of the topic, we are going to let this thread discuss all things do to with the game AND accept the fact not discussing politics would be difficult in this situation.

We will be lenient on political talk, however, it does not mean we’ll allow shitty twitter opinion posts from any South American fluffy horse-like creatures and it does not mean you can degrade / be rude to other posters (sarcastic or otherwise).

Now let’s all go enjoy the fact it is a long weekend discriminating variant and we can do essentially whatever we want tonight

Ya mods
Snuffaluphagus, BeinPurplenGreen, Tonga Bob

Thought you didn't give a sh*t.
I have but I have friends and rellies who were looking forward to going.
I care for friends , family and the supporters who are missing out.
Maybe a little empathy for others might improve your outlook
I'd just like to take this moment to recognise what a champion top bloke you are and thank you for that.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
You should look into the articles on vaccinated people transmitting the virus. We will still need lockdowns if one case in the community is unacceptable.

We need to start considering what the future will look like where vaccines can't keep ahead of the mutations and the spread so wide in the rest of the world that we either need to turtle up here and never let anyone in or accept that it's going to have to burn through us to eventually.

Unfortunately yeh could be the future but surely if we had majority vaccinations now one or two cases wouldnt lockdown the metro area.

Unfortunately yeh could be the future but surely if we had majority vaccinations now one or two cases wouldnt lockdown the metro area.
I think the only thing we know for sure is that the current climate doesn't allow for a single case to be in the community and I'm not sure what cultural shift will be required to adjust that.

Opening the doors, even with every human on the planet vaccinated will bring in multiple cases into the community every week. I don't see how that will be suddenly tolerated without a publicity campaign downplaying the risk of the virus.

Perhaps some lies about the new mutation being far less dangerous and now we don't need to worry anymore.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
sarcasm.jpg

Aug 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I read an article out of a medical paper 8 months ago which stated that the vaccines being developed did not prevent contraction of the disease but only limited the development of serious symptoms. Contraction and transmission is still going to be prevalent in society without the full blown effects of the disease... this has not been communicated by mainstream media to my knowledge as yet. Happy to be corrected but that is my take out of the research I’ve done due to having immune compromised children.

Moonrat

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the only thing we know for sure is that the current climate doesn't allow for a single case to be in the community and I'm not sure what cultural shift will be required to adjust that.

Opening the doors, even with every human on the planet vaccinated will bring in multiple cases into the community every week. I don't see how that will be suddenly tolerated without a publicity campaign downplaying the risk of the virus.

Perhaps some lies about the new mutation being far less dangerous and now we don't need to worry anymore.
It wouldn't be lies if it was true.
20210422_185519.jpeg

It wouldn't be lies if it was true. View attachment 1109667

The issue is that perception of the danger of the virus is far, far higher. There were surveys conducted in the USA that responded with people thinking the death rate of the virus was upwards of 10%

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Let’s all just take a step back and realise that all the pollies are doing the best they can in an extremely different and unprecedented time.
As annoying as it especially when you have made a trip for it, it is really a first world problem a game of footy.

We were worried that my niece couldn't come home from hospital for the weekend now but the doc rang up to allow her to be picked up tonight, these are the things that matter.

Moonrat

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The issue is that perception of the danger of the virus is far, far higher. There were surveys conducted in the USA that responded with people thinking the death rate of the virus was upwards of 10%
Totally agree. Hysteria has been indoctrinated by media and government and we're so fearful in this country now that it will be insurmountable to overcome media and government ego and reverse the indoctrination - no matter what the truth is about the virus or the vaccine or any future medication.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Move it to Tuesday!
nah. Given the choice I rather have the north game when we originally had the bye.
Not that anyone gives a sh*t atm but these are the emergencies for the game:

E: Tobe Watson, Connor Blakely, Lloyd Meek, Darcy Tucker
if he is fully fit, I want Darcy Tucker in.

As much as I love meek to play, we can't play Lobb, Sean Darcy and Lloyd Meek in the 22.

Hell I wouldn't mind Watson on the bench incase Logue or Cox gets injured. Hell play Watson for a quarter up forward.

Knowing the Freo selectors, since cerra is injured, Blakely will go in

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Totally agree. Hysteria has been indoctrinated by media and government and we're so fearful in this country now that it will be insurmountable to overcome media and government ego and reverse the indoctrination - no matter what the truth is about the virus or the vaccine or any future medication.

With the state of the health system in this state, the fear that it could become insurmountable is extremely real!

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
I'm annoyed I'm not getting to watch the footy live tomorrow night as well but this is a ridiculous analogy. The WA government aren't choosing to work with a dangerous substance for financial gain. It has been forced upon them.

Perhaps they should have spent billions of our money making purpose built facilities to accomodate the thousands of people requiring quarantine? Is that what you are suggesting?
I mean we have private hospitals that were willing to provide quarantine for positive arrivals that have far less risk of transmission

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think this is the biggest issue over the next few years. The likes of McGowan and others are very short sighted.
At some point in say, 12 or 15 months time or so, 75% of the Aussie population will be vaccinated.
We probably won’t get to 100% or even 90% but it will still be a decent coverage acres the population.
Alongside NZ and a small handful of others, we are the only places in the world where there is ZERO covid.
People have become accustomed to this and now a case of covid in Australia is worse than leprosy. The social stigma alone attached is awful. This doesn’t exist elsewhere in the world.
Zero covid is not feasible long term if you want open borders. The virus is going to be circulating to some degree, somewhere in the world for many many years to come. I’d say 2030 at least. Possible forever.
If we want to maintain zero covid then we have to keep borders locked until that day when covid ceases to exist any where in planet earth.
It’s worth bearing in mind why all the hysteria stated in the first place. The issue was that without any control, health services around the world would not be able to handle the massive load of cases that would end up in ICUs and people would die in their millions due to a lack of access to ventilators etc.
The vaccines remove this risk. So there is an argument the virus should be let run through the community when everyone has been vaccinated. The vaccines will do their job, people won’t get severe symptoms and we will have herd immunity.
Very doubtful our politicians will do that however.

Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Would be nice if they let those of us fully vaccinated to attend
You think that was the vaccine they injected into you?

No, that was 5G nanobots. Notice that your phone's reception is better in your house since your jab?

Back