Changes Round 8 v Saints

wce4premiership

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Did lol at Waterman being the in for Masten. Poor HT.

I like Waterman in, because he deserved a go (pre-injury) in place of Allen as a high half forward, I figured he'd allow JD and JK to play much better by creating space as he leads up the wings.

Surely this change means Allen stays out of the f50? He must be a second ruck, maybe swinging back in defence or roaming the middle of the ground for contested marks.

Also, height is one thing but none of these players are very agile. Cripps, Ryan and Venables need to help out big time if we're to lock the ball up inside f50. Hopefully we can play with the same intent as the Saints play with because they're not the most talented but they've been massively impressive with their ability to run from behind this year, pushing the ball forward relentlessly.

This will be a difficult game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dark Sharks

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I know we might be one tall forward too many but a HUGE positive out of all this is that we've finally sorted out our midfielder balance!

Replace one of Allen/Waterman with Rioli when he gets back and we're absolutely laughing.

Also can someone do a welfare check on Thorne? The Marsden news must be tough for him to swallow, but with the boards help, I'm sure he'll get through it :p

wce4premiership

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
People might categorise Waterman as 'big' due to his height, but role-wise he is also a runner.
Is 2cm height difference (compared to Ah Chee) such a liability in an indoor stadium?

IMO Jake is the one player on the whole list whose WAFL form has been consistent enough to justify pushing into the seniors. My only concern with him is his leg, but if he has been cleared health-wise then he deserves his spot.
My biggest concerns are his agility in trying to stop some quick handball chains. Not sure he'll get close enough to lay a tackle after a handball is fed out because he won't have the change of direction.

I wouldn't question his contested efforts or his fitness (assuming the injury hasn't effected him too much). In fact I think he could help our lack of scoring and is a good inclusion.

I don't rate his field kicking though, I can see a lot of long kicks happening, which isn't always a bad thing, especially if he turns and goes quickly which he probably will do. He is a neat enough kick down the line but lacks the ability to get a hard low ball in to a player over the back in space, it's usually an up and under if he needs to kick it over 40m.

Luuuc

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Feel like Ah Chee will be late in
Yeah I get that vibe too.
Could see Masten's omission coming earlier in the week. That still leaves our new 2019 traditional surprise game-day omission yet to come.

(and wce4p, I don't really disagree with any of that)

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
This is it boys, the last of the "Terrible 5" out of the playing group...big things to come. (T5 was Rosa, Ebert, Stevens, Scooter and Masten).

Nima

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
I like the change. Masten out waterman in is not direct change for Masten. We were already too many in the middle, now we let Sheed, yeo, redden, Gaff, Hutch and yeo take over Midfield( 6 is fine), allowing Vardy to ruck with Ollen to cover and put waterman up front when ollen is on ruck or at the back if we are under the pump. Nothing what so ever wrong IMO in terms of height. It is balanced as far as height, grunt, running ability. It comes down to execution and we will win easily if we execute with this lineup. If we were going for like for like yes Ah chee or smith for Masten would make sense, but we kept Ollen in to cover for Vardy and Waterman can actually play multiple roles too so i do not think we will have Vardy Ollen and waterman with JK and JD all on pitch at once, highly unlikely IMO. so I do not understand the whole we are too tall argument. we have DV petch and Jaimie, we just added another running payer and goal scoring in form player,( we have kicked 8,7,11 goals in last 3 games) so having i him would not hurt. We just cant drop Ollen, what if Vardy gets injured or is tired.If Hickey was fit, then the inclusios would have been Hickey and water out Ollen and Masten I think.

avishka5

150 game legend.
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd like to see Waterman at HF, one of Jetta or Duggan more on to a wing and Allen go into defence.

We did quite well with the mobile tall High HF last year when Waterman played. Allowed JK and JD to stay closer to home.

Also Allen reads it well and can intercept well when in defence and I think we are kinda missing it a bit more with TB out and Bunga not as dominant in the air as he was last season.

I know Duggan failed on a wing but he has the tank to run hard both ways but more importantly he is hard at it and is very good at winning a ground ball or evening it when the ball slips out side on to a wing. Masten has been woeful in that regards this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HoneyBadger35

Friends, Family, Flex
AFL Club
West Coast
This is it boys, the last of the "Terrible 5" out of the playing group...big things to come. (T5 was Rosa, Ebert, Stevens, Scooter and Masten).
A 250 game player, a 200 game premiership player, a 200 game player, a 150 game best and fairest winner and a 90 game player who retired early due to concussion. What a shite group. Some seriously miserable people on this board.

Also, what’s bigger than a flag?

Shuestar13

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Bookmark this or screen shot it.

This selection by the MC IS WRONG.

Eagles will lose.

Placing $100 on saints

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Great “support” as usual there. And where on earth are you getting this money to place such bets every week? If I had a spare $100 I certainly wouldn’t be betting against my own team. Odd :oops:

AFL Club
West Coast
I know we might be one tall forward too many but a HUGE positive out of all this is that we've finally sorted out our midfielder balance!

Replace one of Allen/Waterman with Rioli when he gets back and we're absolutely laughing.

Also can someone do a welfare check on Thorne? The Marsden news must be tough for him to swallow, but with the boards help, I'm sure he'll get through it :p
Right on and maybe Cole for Rothan and please swap Gaff/Sheed roles

Rowan18

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
A 250 game player, a 200 game premiership player, a 200 game player, a 150 game best and fairest winner and a 90 game player who retired early due to concussion. What a shite group. Some seriously miserable people on this board.

What ever happened to Scott selwood? I just realised he's still on Geelong's list. We really dodged a bullet when they took him via free agency.

donpyke92

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts

Like the order you put that in....got me working out which player matched which achievement.
*some playschool reference mentioned earlier:)

Top Bottom