Changes Round 8 v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenmore concerned about his lack of inside 50's then anything else.

We all know he's a spud unless he's getting the ball out in open space, but that simply isn't happening.

For all his "Gut busting" running, for which he wasn't in the top 5 in the ground for kilometres covered mind you, his DE was a very poor 58%.

So we're carrying an expert runner who's one saving grace is his endurance and foot skills, and yet his DE is poor and he's not delivering the ball inside 50.

So what exactly is the point?

I can rarely help myself but I’m really not keen on doing the Masten s**t again tonight. This isn’t a knock on you, I’m not saying the below applies to you, I’m just so over the Masten stuff.

Every answer will always be wrong to a select group of people. I don’t care if he’s in the side or not, but this pinning issues on him or getting angry with him for not doing things that aren’t part of his role is infuriating. There’s no chance that he’d have played in 31 of our last 32 games if he wasn’t playing his role.

The career best output from Hurn and Jetta, from our dangerous users behind the ball, is aided by Masten. He’s defensive cover that happens to start on the wing. I think eventually they’ll bite the bullet and just name him in the back six, but until then I guess we’re stuck with this Masten chat. He’s not an accumulator, his job isn’t to rack up touches, his job isn’t to feed the forwards, he is defensive cover that links up along the back flank. He’s an exit option. There’s a reason that he’s found himself as the last line of defence on a minimum of ten occasions this season, and it’s not coincidence. I hope like hell they bring someone else in to replace him soon because I cannot be bothered reading this in every thread anymore.

Drop him, don’t drop him, I’m not bothered, but how would he be riding what has to be close to the longest consecutive games streak of his career if his job was to accumulate and feed the forwards? No AFL coach is going to back in a bloke whose output is so low unless they’re playing a role for which dream team stats aren’t actually that important.

I mean while we’re at it, he hasn’t had a hitout since 2013, what’s the point of him?

I can rarely help myself but I’m really not keen on doing the Masten **** again tonight. This isn’t a knock on you, I’m not saying the below applies to you, I’m just so over the Masten stuff.

Every answer will always be wrong to a select group of people. I don’t care if he’s in the side or not, but this pinning issues on him or getting angry with him for not doing things that aren’t part of his role is infuriating. There’s no chance that he’d have played in 31 of our last 32 games if he wasn’t playing his role.

The career best output from Hurn and Jetta, from our dangerous users behind the ball, is aided by Masten. He’s defensive cover that happens to start on the wing. I think eventually they’ll bite the bullet and just name him in the back six, but until then I guess we’re stuck with this Masten chat. He’s not an accumulator, his job isn’t to rack up touches, his job isn’t to feed the forwards, he is defensive cover that links up along the back flank. He’s an exit option. There’s a reason that he’s found himself as the last line of defence on a minimum of ten occasions this season, and it’s not coincidence. I hope like hell they bring someone else in to replace him soon because I cannot be bothered reading this in every thread anymore.

Drop him, don’t drop him, I’m not bothered, but how would he be riding what has to be close to the longest consecutive games streak of his career if his job was to accumulate and feed the forwards? No AFL coach is going to back in a bloke whose output is so low unless they’re playing a role for which dream team stats aren’t actually that important.

I mean while we’re at it, he hasn’t had a hitout since 2013, what’s the point of him?

Yes I’m really sick of it too. While there is no doubt a lot of footy smarts on this board the MC probably have the edge over us in that area. 200+ times they’ve made a decision to select this guy that attracts such blind hate from the many here. Get over it! Express a reasoned comment - as some do - but if it just going to be a mad rant (week in week out) then I hope the Mods step in. Really!
This by the way is not saying Masten shouldn’t be dropped - or his performance questioned - but pleeeease some here are just a cracked record.
Jetta gets the same at times and yet he has two premiership medallions at different (and strong) clubs - so he must’ve been good at fooling a heck of a lot of smart footy people!

Marsden

12 touches at 58%DE
2 contested
164 metres gained
1 tackle
2 turnovers
0 inside 50's

Also had a speccy taken on his head.

Inspiring stuff. Club legend :toilet:

There comes a point where nothing is gained by playing the same players who provide continual minimal input.

I would rather the hunger and excitement of a first game player than an established player who gives you the same mediocre output week in, week out.

The first game player - or even first year player - may make more mistakes but at least he won’t cruise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs : Vardy, Venables, Ryan, Masten.

Ins : Hickey, Ah Chee, Rotham, and any player that will be interested in roving the feet of JK and JD. There has to be someone that will make an effort.

I can rarely help myself but I’m really not keen on doing the Masten **** again tonight. This isn’t a knock on you, I’m not saying the below applies to you, I’m just so over the Masten stuff.

Hate to do the fact check but he actually had a hit out in round 1 against the lions. Still should be out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hate to do the fact check but he actually had a hit out in round 1 against the lions. Still should be out.

This is why you're the most hated poster on the board HB. Just making stuff up, as per usual.

Remember last year when you said the Brumbies would win the flag?

I think go with the 1 ruckman again v StKilda.

They have a youngish ruck (Marshall... or they may bring in Longer but doubt theyd play 2)

Saints can be pretty manic pressure wise when theyre up n about so we need to match that which we seemed to get a bit of in the 1st half yesterday.

They have dangerous smalls so once again our backline needs to at least break even.

Should be a decent game.

We need to take advantage of our height advantage up forward and have the smalls pressuring and lock it in.

Ryan-JK-Cripps
O.Allen-Darling-Petrucelle

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Neither the AFL website nor West Coast have been able to upload Simmo’s presser due to technical issues but I caught the end of it on 720am last night and Clint Wheeldon seemed to indicate Simmo mentioned something that suggests Hickey’s hammy isn’t as minor as first thought.

Not sure about the ruck situation in light of that but Ah Chee for Venables is a fair starting point for changes next week.

Neither the AFL website nor West Coast have been able to upload Simmo’s presser due to technical issues but I caught the end of it on 720am last night and Clint Wheeldon seemed to indicate Simmo mentioned something that suggests Hickey’s hammy isn’t as minor as first thought.

Not sure about the ruck situation in light of that but Ah Chee for Venables is a fair starting point for changes next week.
If that’s the case I’d be bringing in Brooksby for Vardy, but apparently Simpson said Vardy played his role well in his presser? Okay.

I was thinking about who to actually bring in for the changes I wanted to make aside from my aforementioned two on the first page. Tough decisions but I'd like to see these;

Out: Vardy, Masten, Venables, Cole, O. Allen
In: Hickey/Brooksby, Smith, Ah Chee, Rotham, M. Allen (although Waterman wouldn't be the worst option if he has form behind him).

I know we like to find positives in Masten but he's been great in one game (Rd 2), ok in another (derby) and horrible for the other five. Time to go.

Venables with another excellent 9 disposal game. Cannot carry him like we did last season. Let's see if Ah Chee can earn a contract extension.

Vardy was horrible and his form all year has been putrid.

Cole looks a bit lost defensively. Had a good run in the first but then lost the plot a bit. Time for a spell since Rotham deserves an extended run.

Oscar looks cooked. Have a rest mate. You earned it for the most part.

It’s disappointing that some of the midfielders we drafted last year are struggling at WAFL level at the moment. O’Neill and Foley are putting up some pretty dismal numbers if they’re getting significant midfield time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back