In: Hickey

Sheppard McGovern Duggan
Jetta Schofield Hurn
Gaff Redden Masten
Sheed Darling Cripps
Ryan Kennedy Petruccelle

Ruck: Hickey Yeo Shuey
Int: Venables Hutchings Cole Allen

I'm more concerned about his lack of inside 50's than anything else.

We all know he's a spud unless he's getting the ball out in open space, but that simply isn't happening.

For all his "Gut busting" running, for which he wasn't in the top 5 in the ground for kilometres covered mind you, his DE was a very poor 58%.

So we're carrying an expert runner who's one saving grace is his endurance and foot skills, and yet his DE is poor and he's not delivering the ball inside 50.

So what exactly is the point?
His disposals out of the defensive 50 are triple his last seasons figures and is on par with those numbers if the other defenders
Surely that should tell you something

In Hickey
Out Vardy

As dumb as it sounds after a performance like that. .... its not a personnel issue. We've got the right players in the team (until Rioli pushes Venables out), its just they are going missing for too long
Venables is a better player with Rioli in the team

Hope Simmo just backs the boiz in.

Making changes is risky, can't be too careful.

Last year the difference in our team was the inclusion of Ryan rioli and venables at the start of the year.
Youth with skill.
Would have been interesting to see if Simpson took a punt on Brooksby and Mallen along with petrucelle to see the impact

Can’t help but feel we missed the boat in the MAllen debut window. I’m sure he was kept in the WAFL with a specific set of instructions, but when he cops a tag and has a somewhat quiet day at the Beagles it’s deflating, because if he wasn’t getting in off his last three weeks then he surely isn’t getting in off today’s Beagles effort.
Have watched Mallen closely at WAFL level but find he struggles to break away and is always kicking under pressure.
Am not sure that he has that extra yard or the side step to break away at AFL level.

I'm more concerned about his lack of inside 50's than anything else.

We all know he's a spud unless he's getting the ball out in open space, but that simply isn't happening.

For all his "Gut busting" running, for which he wasn't in the top 5 in the ground for kilometres covered mind you, his DE was a very poor 58%.

So we're carrying an expert runner who's one saving grace is his endurance and foot skills, and yet his DE is poor and he's not delivering the ball inside 50.

So what exactly is the point?
As others have said he is playing purely as a defensive winger now. Get back and clog up space and provide an option on outlet. Someone mentioned team mates burning him, I'm not sure that's the case - he just gets to the widest, least attacking option as the outlet and therefore rarely gets used.

What was telling though was that with 3 or 4 minutes to go the runner came out after a goal and specifically called him off the ground from the far wing. They pushed Gaff across the ground to the far wing and Schofield came on. They tried to get Duggan to the wing but there wasn't time so Schofield lined up on the wing and switched with Duggan as play went on. So is there were late contests deep in defence they clearly preferred Duggan and Schofield to be on the ground over Masten (of course I could be reading to much into this and it was just his time to come off)

But how was that defensive 1 on 1 spoil he did to kill an inside 50? Even Shuey had a smirk on his face.
I saw that too. And how about last week when he spoiled Rhys Stanley in a one on one late in the game. Barrass replacement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article from the 2nd May.. a fortnight is 2 weeks Miguel Sanchez.. They said Demons game. But im thinking hes going to be very close to this game vs Saints.

So tell me how does 3 weeks equal a fortnight?? 20190505_115411.jpg

Article from the 2nd May.. a fortnight is 2 weeks Miguel Sanchez.. They said Demons game. But im thinking hes going to be very close to this game vs Saints.

So tell me how does 3 weeks equal a fortnight?? View attachment 667895

3a3c2003f451a36bab2099b9009829ef.jpg

So tell me how does 3 weeks equal a fortnight?? View attachment 667895

Winky face was supposed to be a reference to our bet.

But I realise it might’ve been a bit subtle for someone with the intellect of a garden slug.

I think go with the 1 ruckman again v StKilda.

They have a youngish ruck (Marshall... or they may bring in Longer but doubt theyd play 2)

Saints can be pretty manic pressure wise when theyre up n about so we need to match that which we seemed to get a bit of in the 1st half yesterday.

They have dangerous smalls so once again our backline needs to at least break even.

Should be a decent game.

We need to take advantage of our height advantage up forward and have the smalls pressuring and lock it in.

Ryan-JK-Cripps
O.Allen-Darling-Petrucelle

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

And what do you do to get Petch, Ryan and Cripps to contribute? Carrying 3 blokes in one area of the ground is asking a lot.

I can rarely help myself but I’m really not keen on doing the Masten **** again tonight. This isn’t a knock on you, I’m not saying the below applies to you, I’m just so over the Masten stuff.

Every answer will always be wrong to a select group of people. I don’t care if he’s in the side or not, but this pinning issues on him or getting angry with him for not doing things that aren’t part of his role is infuriating. There’s no chance that he’d have played in 31 of our last 32 games if he wasn’t playing his role.

The career best output from Hurn and Jetta, from our dangerous users behind the ball, is aided by Masten. He’s defensive cover that happens to start on the wing. I think eventually they’ll bite the bullet and just name him in the back six, but until then I guess we’re stuck with this Masten chat. He’s not an accumulator, his job isn’t to rack up touches, his job isn’t to feed the forwards, he is defensive cover that links up along the back flank. He’s an exit option. There’s a reason that he’s found himself as the last line of defence on a minimum of ten occasions this season, and it’s not coincidence. I hope like hell they bring someone else in to replace him soon because I cannot be bothered reading this in every thread anymore.

Drop him, don’t drop him, I’m not bothered, but how would he be riding what has to be close to the longest consecutive games streak of his career if his job was to accumulate and feed the forwards? No AFL coach is going to back in a bloke whose output is so low unless they’re playing a role for which dream team stats aren’t actually that important.

I mean while we’re at it, he hasn’t had a hitout since 2013, what’s the point of him?

Fair enough but surely we can question the effectivessness of his role?

Right now our midfield is really struggling at contests. Do we really have the luxury of playing a defensive linkman?

I would really like to ask the MC face to face about Masten's role and the importance of it.

It feels like we would people would rather drop Cole and Duggan before they drop Masten which boggles the mind.

Last edited:
Was Cole really that bad? I thought he was reasonable. Have a feeling he has become a whipping boy regardless of his performance.
His first quarter was good but then he disappeared. Who was his opponent? I notice Sexton had a dirty game by his standards so props to whoever shut him down.

I just want Rotham back in seeing as he didn't deserve to be dropped, and right now Cole is the ugly duckling. Of course Duggan has been down too so either of them being given a rest is the way I see it.

His first quarter was good but then he disappeared. Who was his opponent? I notice Sexton had a dirty game by his standards so props to whoever shut him down.

I just want Rotham back in seeing as he didn't deserve to be dropped, and right now Cole is the ugly duckling. Of course Duggan has been down too so either of them being given a rest is the way I see it.

Shep seemed to spend most time on Sexton.

4 days ago running on an oval at Port Hedland. Hmmm 3 weeks away you reckon lols..
In for Demons no later Round 9.
But reckon hes a sneaky chance at Round 8 vs Stkilda. A bit further long in rehab than we are led to believe.
20190505_130545.jpg 20190505_130600.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back