Unofficial Preview Changes Round 8 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder/call to action: we're still looking for nine preview writers to fill out this year's roster!

One of the big changes could be...

Out: Perth trip
In: alternative location

...depending on what happens with this Covid situation over the coming days. But just from an on-field PoV though, I'd go:

Out: Lester
In: Gardiner

And leave it at that. Rough on Lester, but I think we have selected a backline for a while now based more on our best defenders rather than on the mix of defenders that we have back there. Tonight with a different mix and a bit more pace through Madden, I thought we looked better back there. That means one of Harris, Marcus or Ryan has to come out, and it can't be the first two at the moment.

Would consider Jarrod Berry in for Prior if he's fit too.

One of the big changes could be...

Out: Perth trip
In: alternative location

...depending on what happens with this Covid situation over the coming days. But just from an on-field PoV though, I'd go:

In: Gardiner

And leave it at that. Rough on Lester, but I think we have selected a backline for a while now based more on our best defenders rather than on the mix of defenders that we have back there. Tonight with a different mix and a bit more pace through Madden, I thought we looked better back there. That means one of Harris, Marcus or Ryan has to come out, and it can't be the first two at the moment.

Would consider Jarrod Berry in for Prior if he's fit too.

alternative location? Are you being coy? It has to be the Gabba then we play at Optus in round 19 or whatever it is.

alternative location? Are you being coy? It has to be the Gabba then we play at Optus in round 19 or whatever it is.

Didn't realise that we had a second match against Freo this year. That's a pretty easy decision then - I was thinking if we didn't play them again, they might've moved the game to a neutral venue.

Will be interesting to see if the QLD government let Freo in though. That's far from certain.

Didn't realise that we had a second match against Freo this year. That's a pretty easy decision then - I was thinking if we didn't play them again, they might've moved the game to a neutral venue.

Will be interesting to see if the QLD government let Freo in though. That's far from certain.
If they aren't allowed in Queensland where would you suggest it should be played at?

If they aren't allowed in Queensland where would you suggest it should be played at?

I don’t have any suggestions. All I am saying is that it is possible that the Lions won’t be able to go to Perth, and also possible that the QLD government might not allow Freo in. If those two things happen, the AFL will be in a bit of a bind.

They wouldn’t even have the option of us both taking our bye this weekend and playing when we are meant to have the bye, because our byes fall in different rounds.

Hopefully this latest outbreak in WA is not too problematic and quickly contained as the others have been, and all will be well. But to have these new cases appearing one week before our game is pretty concerning, especially considering that last time this happened the QLD government mandated 14 day quarantine for anybody travelling from Perth.

I can only see one change this week, one half of that equation will be easy ie. In- Darcy Gardiner, the out not so much, could be any of James Madden, Jaxon Prior or Rhys Mathieson. IMO the coaches will go with >

In- Darcy Gardiner.

Out- James Madden.

If I was the match committee I'd be going Birchall out but that is not happening, same goes for a possible Lester omission, unlucky for Madden as I would love him to get a few more matches under his belt, I thought he looked comfortable and confident at the level last night.

We'll see how the Derby goes today but the Dockers have looked in pretty good form this season and will be no pushovers so we need to maintain the rage in Perth next Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
I can only see one change this week, one half of that equation will be easy ie. In- Darcy Gardiner, the out not so much, could be any of James Madden, Jaxon Prior or Rhys Mathieson. IMO the coaches will go with >

In- Darcy Gardiner.

Out- James Madden.

If I was the match committee I'd be going Birchall out but that is not happening, same goes for a possible Lester omission, unlucky for Madden as I would love him to get a few more matches under his belt, I thought he looked comfortable and confident at the level last night.

We'll see how the Derby goes today but the Dockers have looked pretty good from this season and will be no pushovers so we need to maintain the rage in Perth next Sunday afternoon.

It seems the most likely but Dizzy for Froggy would be best.

If we're going to give our oldest players a rest at any point, this might be a good time so they can avoid a trip to Perth (assuming the game goes ahead as scheduled). Birchall getting a rest would allow Madden another week to press his claim too.

Luckiy wie don't have to worry about it for months.

We have 4 home games in a row to finish off the season, would be good to into finals without a month of travel so get Perth out of the way now, we have never performed well there even during our 3-peat era, let’s hoping next week!

Hey dlanod , that sticky you put at the top of the page is making this thread come up as unread when I log on.
tenor.gif

Hey dlanod , that sticky you put at the top of the page is making this thread come up as unread when I log on.
tenor.gif
Won't happen now. :p There's a bug where if the last post is a sticky, it will stay as unread until there's another post at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have 4 home games in a row to finish off the season, would be good to into finals without a month of travel so get Perth out of the way now, we have never performed well there even during our 3-peat era, let’s hoping next week!

We beat Freo by 10 goals a couple of years ago, and I’m pretty sure we won a few on the trot over there in 2001/2002, but quite lean in between.

If we're going to give our oldest players a rest at any point, this might be a good time so they can avoid a trip to Perth (assuming the game goes ahead as scheduled). Birchall getting a rest would allow Madden another week to press his claim too.
If we still travel to Perth there is a chance Birch will be rested.
He played a pretty good game last night though.
Madden would probably get a bit of a chance to use that run of his on the longer expanse of Optus Stadium.
So if it is in Perth I would go with the 1 change and bring Darcy in for Birchall.
But if it were to be in Brisbane I would bring Gardiner in for Madden, I don’t think we will be seeing Lester dropped at this point until he has a clearly bad day.

We beat Freo by 10 goals a couple of years ago, and I’m pretty sure we won a few on the trot over there in 2001/2002, but quite lean in between.

Won both times in 2001, lost in 2002 that ended our 20 game winning streak, lost in 2003, lost both games in 2004 and more recently lost to Freo by a point in 2019 so yeah not a happy hunting ground for us.

Won both times in 2001, lost in 2002 that ended our 20 game winning streak, lost in 2003, lost both games in 2004 and more recently lost to Freo by a point in 2019 so yeah not a happy hunting ground for us.

Thankfully they've put out a new hunting ground for us. :D We've gone from 13th best winning record at the ground to equal 3rd at the new one!

Correlation does not equal causation.

Thankfully they've put out a new hunting ground for us. :D We've gone from 13th best winning record at the ground to equal 3rd at the new one!

Correlation does not equal causation.

Lol true, I always dreaded the ol Subiaco oval, not only did we loose games but used to get heaps of injuries too.

We beat them at Optus by like 10 goals in 2018, hopefully its a similar result. In the 2019 game we didn't score for half the game and we weren't composed in the final minutes, I'd expect we've grown and learnt loads since then.

I don’t have any suggestions. All I am saying is that it is possible that the Lions won’t be able to go to Perth, and also possible that the QLD government might not allow Freo in. If those two things happen, the AFL will be in a bit of a bind.

They wouldn’t even have the option of us both taking our bye this weekend and playing when we are meant to have the bye, because our byes fall in different rounds.

Hopefully this latest outbreak in WA is not too problematic and quickly contained as the others have been, and all will be well. But to have these new cases appearing one week before our game is pretty concerning, especially considering that last time this happened the QLD government mandated 14 day quarantine for anybody travelling from Perth.
Was gonna suggest Cazalys or Riverway stadium if it really came to it, its regional and not a population "hot spot". The Queensland government would probably have to enforce the Freo players and staff to abide by strict Covid instructions.

In- Darcy Gardiner.

Out- James Madden.

We'll see how the Derby goes today but the Dockers have looked in pretty good form this season and will be no pushovers so we need to maintain the rage in Perth next Sunday afternoon.
IF there is no COVID issue, then on the fast deck I would leave Lester or maybe Birchall out and play Madden again, I just think his speed is an asset. Disposal efficiency last night was not fantastic but have to give young guys more than one game, especially when Lester has not been outstanding.
In: Gardner

We beat them at Optus by like 10 goals in 2018, hopefully its a similar result. In the 2019 game we didn't score for half the game and we weren't composed in the final minutes, I'd expect we've grown and learnt loads since then.

Agree we are a very different team from 2019 when it comes to crunch games.

IF there is no COVID issue, then on the fast deck I would leave Lester or maybe Birchall out and play Madden again, I just think his speed is an asset. Disposal efficiency last night was not fantastic but have to give young guys more than one game, especially when Lester has not been outstanding.
In: Gardner
I believe Madden will stay for next week and maybe the week after. Gardner will definitely be back and if Berry pass's a fitness test it may be Matheson who goes back to the 2's. Either way, fairly confident there will be 2 changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back