Unofficial Preview Changes Round 8 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder/call to action: we're still looking for nine preview writers to fill out this year's roster!

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably will be moved to the Gabba and made our home game then we play in Perth in Round 21 when we're supposed to play them again later in the season.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thought I read that all Perth travelers to QLD will need to isolate for 2 weeks. There will have to be a exemption given for this game to go ahead.

in saying that all i can see changes wise is Gardiner in for Madden. Berry for Prior if fit.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
J. Berry has been below his best this year
No need to rush him back till he is over the groin injury
Even if he was fit I would still play Deven & Jaxon ahead of him on present form
He could replace Mathieson who produced his standard honest performance but I would still like to see Matho get another game
Matho's output was as good as anything produced by Jarrod in 2021
For me Jarrod is in our best 22 but only when fully fit.

In; Gardiner
Out: someone - maybe Birchall (managed) even though he played his best game this year

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can only see one change this week, one half of that equation will be easy ie. In- Darcy Gardiner, the out not so much, could be any of James Madden, Jaxon Prior or Rhys Mathieson. IMO the coaches will go with >

In- Darcy Gardiner.

Out- James Madden.

If I was the match committee I'd be going Birchall out but that is not happening, same goes for a possible Lester omission, unlucky for Madden as I would love him to get a few more matches under his belt, I thought he looked comfortable and confident at the level last night.

We'll see how the Derby goes today but the Dockers have looked in pretty good form this season and will be no pushovers so we need to maintain the rage in Perth next Sunday afternoon.

Birch has been really good, no way he goes out. On track to earn another year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yep, I posted in the review thread last night that upon watching the game a 2nd time that Birchall was good.. I didn't notice him that much live at the ground, at 34 before the start of next season he'll do well to earn another contract though, if he wins a 5th flag this season he'll probably call it quits on his own accord.

I'd prefer for the balance of our backline one of Lester/Birchall made way for a quicker player, Andrews, Gardiner, Rich, Starcevich are locks in the back 7(1 on the bench) and Adams fast approaching lock status IMO so that only leaves 2 spots shared between the likes of Lester, Birchall, Answerth, Payne, Madden and Ah Chee although he looks better suited up the ground. Ideally I'd go with 1 of Birchall/Lester + Answerth or Madden.. I know only a 1 game sample but I liked what Madden showed on Saturday night... I like Payne as well, hard but good dilemma to have for our match committee.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I wonder how Berry Senior would go with Neale being out? He would be on the ball for more of the game rather than at starvation corner (half forward flank) for much of the game.

I have also mused in the past on Berry Senior off a half back flank but talking about HBF isn't Starc taking his game to a new level?

Get Berry over his injury. Don't rush him back.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder how Berry Senior would go with Neale being out? He would be on the ball for more of the game rather than at starvation corner (half forward flank) for much of the game.

I have also mused in the past on Berry Senior off a half back flank but talking about HBF isn't Starc taking his game to a new level?

I too have thought how J.Berry would go off half back. Attacks the ball - has height and can provide great run out of defence. Can certainly see him playing there some time into the future.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our midfield performed great on the weekend but I don’t think we can expect that to happen every week until until Neales back. I’d bring Berry in for one of Matho, Robertson, Prior or Ah Chee

And Dizzy in for Lester or Birchall if he needs a rest. Probably a good game for Madden to get another go as a small back on one of Freos average small forwards.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think people are suggesting Birch be dropped because of form, it's just that if he needs a rest at any point, not subjecting him to a trip to Perth is a good opportunity for it.

How exciting when we’ve got tough decisions to make at the selection table.

I’d be keen to give Birchall a rest for this trip but I’d totally understand if he’s not keen.

Gardiner comes in for Madden for mine as the only change.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Starc has been fantastic. Great mark, hard as nails and very very competitive...is developing really well.

Starc has been fantastic. Great mark, hard as nails and very very competitive...is developing really well.
Like the whole club, started the year slowly but is working his way towards his late 2020 form which was awesome.
Great 1v1 and generally uses the ball very well.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think people are suggesting Birch be dropped because of form, it's just that if he needs a rest at any point, not subjecting him to a trip to Perth is a good opportunity for it.
Correct. He played his best game so far this year on Saturday. Also has been solid all year
If the plan was for him to be managed at some time this round 7 Perth game is the one. We have a bye in round 13
Our next four games are all what you could say are 8 point games. Then we play Melbourne before the Bye.
At present we sit 7th on 4 wins:
Play Dockers (9th) but equal with us on ladder at Optus
Suns (10) 1 win less than us at Metricon
Tigers (6th) equal wins with us at The Gabba
GWS (11th) 1 win behind us at The Gabba

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Chances this gets relocated to the Gabba?
I am sure Gil is making some Premier calls
Who ever allows a crowd and then players back into the state will win out
Dockers getting a home crowd and income in round 21 (reverse the rounds) is better than a possible no income for this round
The question is will either Premier come to the party. I think the Queensland Premier & CHO more likely than WA. Time will tell
Best chance for a crowd at present is The Gabba
Then Dockers fly to Melbourne for the Essendon game at some point
Hopefully restrictions are over at that stage
Just another Covid 19 speed bump
The Eagles are set to play Hawks in Melbourne so that's another problem for Gil

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Best possible result for us would be for the game to go ahead in Perth with no / limited crowd. Especially as Freo got pumped this week and they would be pretty low on confidence.

Gets the Perth trip out of the way before the bye and we finish with 4 straight games at the Gabba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back