Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

McAdam is a small forward isn't he?
Not by my definition. Classic medium forward. But who knows how they think.

I hope we don't bring him back immediately. Sounded like he was poor in the snaffle and it's not like he will learn anything from a taste at senior level like Newchurch would.

mcadam and newchurch are both listed as 181cm..
Newchurch from what I have seen (not a lot, granted) comes across as more of a ground level small forward.

McAdam seems to fancy himself as an aerialist.

Oh and it sounded like Newchurch is in.

When asked how we replace McHenry and Murphy: we only have one replacement so we might have to get creative.

I assume the replacement small forward is Newchurch.
My take is the opposite of that, nothing creative about Newchurch, that's replacing a small forward with a small forward albeit one that's struggling to make an impact at SANFL level.

The club has for YEARS prioritised GPS numbers.

There was one game I distinctly remember Rory Atkins running something like 16km for 3 disposals. Got the tick of approval because of elite GPS numbers. "Runs hard all day"
We really need our next coach to be an experienced coach that knows what's important to win flags.

GPS numbers... jesus

We are a snouts in the trough type club. Only success we ever had was with an experienced coach who strutted in with the biggest voice in the room.

That's what we need. Not sure why we always pick unproven rookie coaches that fit into our (unsuccessful) way of thinking. Maybe because they don't rock the boat.

My take is the opposite of that, nothing creative about Newchurch, that's replacing a small forward with a small forward albeit one that's struggling to make an impact at SANFL level.
Leigh Matthews would struggle to make an impact playing ahead of the ammos top ups and D grade midfield in our sanfl team.

Remember people were saying the same about Thilthorpe struggling to make an impact at sanfl level...

Our sanfl team is historically s**t.

Our AFL team is historically s**t. Our sanfl team is correspondingly worse and plagued by injury to boot. Try playing up front to that.

Leigh Matthews would struggle to make an impact playing ahead of the ammos top ups and D grade midfield in our sanfl team.

Remember people were saying the same about Thilthorpe struggling to make an impact at sanfl level...

Our sanfl team is historically sh*t.

Our AFL team is historically sh*t. Our sanfl team is correspondingly worse and plagued by injury to boot. Try playing up front to that.
None of which is anything to do with the point I was making.

Creative is not replacing a small forward with like unless the word means different to what I've always thought.

Creative is not replacing a small forward with like unless the word means different to what I've always thought.
Creative would be like moving Brown to be a small pressure forward... to allow us to play another tall backman...

He said they only have one small forward in the wings.

Two small forwards need to be replaced.

They need to 'get creative' to replace the other one.

So I'm thinking Newchurch in (like for like) and then shift a mid forward.

Which might give your man O'Connor a guernsey.

Unless they do something stupid like bring McAdam back in so we can watch him posturing behind a defender for two hours.

Creative would be like moving Brown to be a small pressure forward... to allow us to play another tall backman...
I've seen this mentioned a few times over the journey. Brown to play small forward...

But I've never seen anything that remotely suggests brown could contribute as a small forward.

His drivers license is stamped lock down back pocket.

I've seen this mentioned a few times over the journey. Brown to play small forward...

But I've never seen anything that remotely suggests brown could contribute as a small forward.

His drivers license is stamped lock down back pocket.
You have never seen it because he has never been tried in this role!

He is one of our most accurate kicks for goal... & can apply pressure.

What's to lose by trying?

It's not like players of his ilk haven't swapped ends before.

Unless they do something stupid like bring McAdam back in so we can watch him posturing behind a defender for two hours.
Play Sloane forward, Dude on the ball and Worrell into the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't been playing much in the forward lines this year, and barring 3 goals against the worst defence in the AFL he hasn't got near it when he has gone forward. He spent a fair bit of time in the forward line against Port, for 0 marks, 0 kicks, 0 handballs, and 0 score... other than the goal he kicked from TT's free kick.

Now you're just making excuses for him. You could say the same about every single player in the midfield "what if this had happened differently" - but Fogarty has proven consistently that he just doesn't get anywhere near enough disposals to have an impact on the game. Fogarty had 9 disposals against Port (excluding the goal he kicked from TT's free). That's not the result of the ball bouncing badly, it's the result of him not being good enough.

The ball bounces badly for Keays... yet he ends up with 20 disposals.
The ball bounces badly for Schoenberg... yet he ends up with 19 disposals.
The ball bounces badly for Fogarty... and he ends up with only 9 disposals (plus a stolen free kick).

His numbers just don't stack up.

Once again, you're making excuses. He was given a complete bath by the Port defenders, and never looked like marking the ball or taking possession at any state. At least Berg & TT got their hands on it, even if Berg did drop it almost every time; Fogarty barely made it into the picture frame.

There is talent there, and he could make it if he lost at least 5-10kg of excess muscle bulk. This would increase his speed & agility, allowing him to release the star player locked inside Fogarty's over-muscled body.

For now though, people like you need to accept him for what he is - not what you wish he would be. You need to stop making excuses for him, and start to view him rationally, based on his actual output - rather than emotionally, based on what you hope/wish he could become.

darren burgess will sort him out, and hopefully himmelburg too. the himmelwagon is the best big man we have, hopefully he can get some hardness to his body under burgess, and replace rob in the ruck. agree re fogs weight, he is probably too heavy for the position he needs to play - which is a utility who can impact the scoreboard, so he needs to develop a big tank and learn some endurance.

id also like to see him given some tagging roles on elite runners to also help him make the jump to afl., but at the least he needs to play the entire year around the ball so he can see what is required. he is young, he is the only player we have with some mongrel about him, he has skill - it would be crazy to do anything but give him support to become as good as many think he can be.

McAdam back in looks obvious and Berry mostly forward, Hately and/or O'Connor in, Mackay out.

Play Sloane forward, Dude on the ball and Worrell into the side.
Clarke was pretty against playing Doedee on ball.

Too valuable as an intercept mark across half back apparently (even though they're doing their best to destroy his impact in that role by making him play 2nd KPF...).

McAdam back in looks obvious and Berry mostly forward, Hately and/or O'Connor in, Mackay out.
McAdam back in would be the dumb arse move, so I suspect you're right.

I would play Newchurch.

What's to lose?

It's only 1 week to cover McHenry.

Give him a taste of what's expected at the level.

Bringing McAdam straight back teaches him nothing about improving himself and just reinforces dumb selection policies.

He was dropped for a reason. Don't come back until you've worked on it and improved.

We need everything. That's why we are down the bottom. Agree we need a couple of elite mids with speed and class but they aren't going to fix everything. We also need a better ruck, a couple of elite smalls, another decent KPF and another elite KPD.
Yeah, true, we need more of everything better than what we have, but a big improvement in mids and mids rotations would be a great start, without having to much improve the cattle we have forward and back.
Our defenders would perform better as a unit if we had a couple of hard-running two-way mids who'd be prepared to run back to help them out. Tell RoB to stay out of the F50 and drop back as often as he can, a kick behind the play.
Our KPFs would do better with better/cleaner supply. Tex and Fog are really good on a lead and kick most goals from around the 50m-arc. Most teams would kill to have one, and we have two, with a strong-marking Thilthorpe at FF.
4 talls (with Berg forward) is just not working. Drop Berg, stick with Tex/Fog/Thilthorpe until year's end (barring injury of course), play Sloane forward when resting, give Macadam a rocket regarding MotY and tell him what to do (no more, but no less). Stocks are low with Ned and Murphy out, so Rowe really has to lift, too.

Clarke was pretty against playing Doedee on ball.

Too valuable as an intercept mark across half back apparently (even though they're doing their best to destroy his impact in that role by making him play 2nd KPF...).
Agree with your statement. What intercept marking? Poor bloke is being asked to stand guys 6 inches taller than him at the moment.

Dude is a blueprint utility. AFC have had zero imagination since Blight.

Laird was the last creative move I’ve seen, and wasn’t that a Pyke one?

If we play Frampton & Himmelberg in the same forward line at AFL level ever then I will be refusing to watch that. We will get absolutely smashed.
I'd watch it --- I love a good laugh --- just so that selectors could squirm after seeing them drop marks, fumble, and miss gettable shots @ goal for 4 quarters.
It might be just what they need to leave them in the SANFL after WCE annihilate the Crows.

Agree with your statement. What intercept marking? Poor bloke is being asked to stand guys 6 inches taller than him at the moment.

Dude is a blueprint utility. AFC have had zero imagination since Blight.

Laird was the last creative move I’ve seen, and wasn’t that a Pyke one?
To the midfield? That was a Nicks move. Threw him in the midfield as a desperation move against North Melbourne last year and he's been there ever since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back