Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much any sports physio or physician will tell you strapping joints is >90% psychological. If you rest players with strapping Butters would never have debuted.

This isn't accurate according to what i was told yesterday. It would play a part, sure, but not 90% worth.

A lot of players would (and do) have their ankles strapped even if they've suffered no prior injury. Same for netballers.

Just on this, i was talking to a sports physio yesterday about this very thing. Preventative strapping has been proven to be effective in reducing injury (30% less incidence of injury in strapped athletes vs unstrapped) It's even effective if you've never been injured in the area being strapped.

He said in the 90s preventative strapping was more prevalent, no real reason why its less popular now even though its still effective. Player comfort maybe?

Also said that there's been no proven effect in weakening control muscles if you get preventative strapping (something i always thought may be the reason why strapping is avoided unless required).

He did say that once a player has been injured, physio's will be hot on strapping a player for 6-12months even after the injury has healed.

So there is still a very valid reason to strap any area that is fine.
My previous note that said psychological was a bit the wrong word. It adds nearly nothing to the strength of the joint/ligament, but the tape stretches the skin that can provide tactile feedback to a previously stretched ligament that doesn't give normal feedback itself.

Therefore while adding nothing to the joints strength, it retrains the body to a degree.

Should be resting TT as well.. noticed that in the training photos on the clubs facebook page today his knee is still strapped.

Why strap a knee that is 100% fine?.. you wouldnt.

So its not 100%.. so rest him.

Absolutely pointless playing the lad if he is carrying a sore knee. Rest him, get him back to 100% and take zero risks. We aint contending for a finals spot ffs.

Why fly him all the way over to play him on the notoriously hard Optus stadium surface?

Have you never watched a footy game, or been a part of literally any competitive sporting team?

Strapping is fairly normal for some players, you need to chill out.

Have you never watched a footy game, or been a part of literally any competitive sporting team?

Strapping is fairly normal for some players, you need to chill out.
Geez.. calm down captain obvious.. of course I understand players play with niggles..

But we arent exactly pushing for a top 8 apot are we and this is a young top draft pick in his first year at the club.. a bloke we hope to have around for the next 10-15 years.

Why take any risk at game 3 of his career?..

*n pointless. Give him the week off.

We actually have a shorter injury list than most other teams at present:
Adelaide - 9
Brisbane - 8
Carlton - 10 ** Doesn't include Cripps, who apparently has a fracture in his back
Collingwood - 9
Essendon - 11
Fremantle - 12
Geelong - 8
Gold Coast - 12
GWS - 14
Hawthorn - 10
Melbourne - 8
North Melbourne - 15
Port Adelaide - 10
Richmond - 8
St Kilda - 6
Sydney - 5
West Coast - 12
Western Bulldogs - 11
Our issue is that we have less experience & experienced depth compared to all other clubs.

eg. If we are missing Milera, Crouch & Sloane from our midfield... we are going to struggle as we don't have GWS like depth who could cover this easily.

We better not bring in Frampton to replace Walker.

Perfect opportunity to put Fogarty at full forward
Frampton should come in for O'Brient & share ruck duties with Berg... but won't happen.

Starts from R10
So the AFL can bring in the new standing on the mark rule with less than a week's notice... but need over a month to arrange to announce teams on a Thursday...

Just on this, i was talking to a sports physio yesterday about this very thing. Preventative strapping has been proven to be effective in reducing injury (30% less incidence of injury in strapped athletes vs unstrapped) It's even effective if you've never been injured in the area being strapped.

He said in the 90s preventative strapping was more prevalent, no real reason why its less popular now even though its still effective. Player comfort maybe?

Also said that there's been no proven effect in weakening control muscles if you get preventative strapping (something i always thought may be the reason why strapping is avoided unless required).

He did say that once a player has been injured, physio's will be hot on strapping a player for 6-12months even after the injury has healed.

So there is still a very valid reason to strap any area that is fine.
TT isnt wearing “preventative strapping” though is he...

Hes wearing the strapping now because he hyperextended his knee last weekend.. and its obviously not 100%.

If he needed preventative strapping on that knee he shouldve been wearing before the start of the game saturday night!!..

TT isnt wearing “preventative strapping” though is he...

Hes wearing the strapping now because he hyperextended his knee last weekend.. and its obviously not 100%.

If he needed preventative strapping on that knee he shouldve been wearing before the start of the game saturday night!!..
I don't think it's a massive deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wrong, didn't think they'd rest him whilst staring at a run of defeats. Butbhe Could also be genuinely injured, but whilst he's not covering ground like he was, he definitely hit top pace a couple of times last week.
Trained in todays session so if he was rested for an injury then why would he train?

1) But we arent exactly pushing for a top 8 [spot] are we and this is a young top draft pick in his first year at the club.. a bloke we hope to have around for the next 10-15 years.
2) Why take any risk at game 3 of his career?
3) Give him the week off.
1) The Crows are not vying for a spot in the top 16.
2) Because of 1), they're going to get belted badly, made worse by injuries and resting Tex (although that's a good move).
No need to risk the Thriller at all. I'd rather they lose by 25 goals than risk Thilthorpe over there.
3) I agree, but they won't.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back