Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see us fronting the AFL Commission trying to justify this very point at season's end

But the run and carry Your Honour...?

Can we please see some video evidence of this "run and carry"?

Ummm... that was destroyed in the big video room fire. But the experience, the leadership, the versatility, the professionalism... just the vibe of the guy
Theyve got bigger issues on their hands than us

As much as I dislike Frampton and don’t rate him as an AFL player, at least he’s shown good form at SANFL level since his demotion. With Walker being rested AND Himmelberg begging to be dropped, it kinda makes some sense to bring him back.

Stoked to see O’Connor in. Equally stoked that we didn’t bring Hately back. Hately and Keays can’t co-exist in my opinion (both have poor foot skills and you can’t carry two players like that as full time mids at AFL level).

McAdam is only in because we needed another true smallish forward with the injuries to Murphy and McHenry. He’s done nothing to earn his spot, but the only other option on the list was Newchurch, who has even more holes in his game than Shane. I’m ok with this, but if he plays poorly, McHenry will displace him next week.

I like that we have resisted the temptation to bring McPherson back into the 22. Needs to go back to SANFL footy and regain confidence.

I like that Fog will essentially take Walker’s role. I think a lot of people forget he’s still only 21. Walker probably has about 25 games of AFL footy left in him. Fog’s time will come after that, and games like this are great experience.

I don’t know what the hell we are doing with our defense. There’s probably an obsession with rebound / pace going on, but we’ll be flat out bringing the ball to ground with that lineup.

HAVING SAID THAT, we all said the same thing prior to the Round 1 clash against Geelong. We were kissed on the collective dick that day with Cameron missing the game and the Cats selecting Jenkins instead of literally any other tall who can actually play though, so facing the 3-headed monster of Kennedy, Darling and Allen is quite clearly going to get ugly if West Coast’s F50 delivery is anything approaching decent. All we needed to do was drop EITHER of Kelly or Mackay for Murray to solve this. Personally I would’ve dropped both, made Mackay the sub, and brought in Murray and Worrell, but hey, that would make too much sense.

Rahilly has already flagged Seedsman and Sloane to spend quite a bit of time up forward, and we’ve seen each week that Berry and Schoenberg have spent quite a bit of time up there, so with Fogarty, Frampton, Rowe and McAdam as the permanent forwards, it will be interesting to see if Thilthorpe maybe floats into defence at times as an interceptor. Realistically, one of him or Fog really has to.

Here’s hoping that next week we might finally see Worrell (it’s getting silly now), and that the impending 15 goals that the trio of Darling, Kennedy and Allen are going to kick prompts us to select one of Murray or McAsey moving forward too.

Nah mate, need games into Jake Kelly and David Mackay. The future of this club lies in their hands.

The "least of our problems" as some would say. No issues there
No comment on yet another debutant?

You did write off Ronin after his first ever SANFL game earlier this season, so I guess you still don’t rate him?

The lack of at least a second tall is actually bizarre with Darling, Kennedy, Allen all playing. Their insistence on playing Doedee as the second tall every week is really odd, it’s clearly not his position. Not sure why we wouldn’t at least swap Kelly for Murray. Their three talls are going to have a field day. Himmelberg could play CHB on Allen as another option.

Of course we will lose this game with any side and it’s all about getting games into youngsters, but you still have to at least try and get the basics right at the selection table. Especially when the tall defenders missing are up and comers like Murray, Fish or even Himmelberg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see us fronting the AFL Commission trying to justify this very point at season's end

But the run and carry Your Honour...?

Can we please see some video evidence of this "run and carry"?

Ummm... that was destroyed in the big video room fire. But the experience, the leadership, the versatility, the professionalism... just the vibe of the guy
The non-statistical role your Honour!

The lack of at least a second tall is actually bizarre with Darling, Kennedy, Allen all playing. Their insistence on playing Doedee as the second tall every week is really odd, it’s clearly not his position. Not sure why we wouldn’t at least swap Kelly for Murray. Their three talls are going to have a field day. Himmelberg could play CHB on Allen as another option.

Of course we will lose this game with any side and it’s all about getting games into youngsters, but you still have to at least try and get the basics right at the selection table. Especially when the tall defenders missing are up and comers like Murray, Fish or even Himmelberg.

It reminds me when Bassett was our full back, and that worked well

No comment on yet another debutant?

You did write off Ronin after his first ever SANFL game earlier this season, so I guess you still don’t rate him?
I don't rate him but he's now got an AFL game to prove me wrong.

What I will say (like I said earlier in this thread which you seemed to miss) is that he deserves his chance to show what he has at the level and that better not be for just one game

I hope they don't pick Moose as the sub, pick a tall
For 2 reasons... as he needs a rest too.

Worrell is the perfect sub... but a s**t way to debut.

Ideally the will make late changes & go taller in defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back