Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all for using D-Mac as the sub if it means we don't have to have a guy missing SANFL time.

No SANFL next week though so let's take someone over instead of him. They won't drop him so it's all kind of irrelevant anyway.
I woukd rather have a young player niss an SANFL game and get the experience of being around the team.on game daybrhen to keep selecting DMac as the sub

This situation can be managed by not having the same player as sub 2 weeks in a row

Look at last night we lost a player early in the game, DMac pretty much played as a 22 player..... again it wa a pitiful performance

A sub needs to contribute and impact a game..... Dmac does none of this

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because it doesn't matter if he misses the games
But it matters if he gets injected into the game

Last night he was injected early and he had no influence and impact on the game

We have convinced ourselves that it's best to have Dmac as the sub instead of a young player

Flawed thinking

People keep saying "look what happened when we played Charlie Cameron" forgetting that even if he didn't get the ball he cracked in like a madman defensively, which is the one big thing Newchurch isn't doing.
Yeah, Newchurch is going fine and looks a decent prospect but he's coming from a bit further back

A season of SANFL and aiming for AFL preseason games next year is a perfect timeline for him. Then take it from there

I wonder if our thin SANFL line up is impacting our selections at all?

Thin senior list in the first place (then minus Gibbs, minus Stengle) plus a few injuries

We may not want a completely uncompetitive SANFL team running around thinking that Worrall, Newchurch, Pedlar and co won't develop at all in that environment.

So we make calls like D Mac in SANFL rather than sub so they have an experienced head down there. Injured Lynch sub rather than pull another player out of the SANFL line up.

Guys who are 85-90% fit suit up rather than take the extra week maybe...? We're thin anyway, imagine what we'd look like with 2-3 more on the sidelines.

But it matters if he gets injected into the game

Last night he was injected early and he had no influence and impact on the game

We have convinced ourselves that it's best to have Dmac as the sub instead of a young player

Flawed thinking

It's really not flawed at all.

If a kid is a sub, even for 10 minutes it's a total waste of their time. DMac can sit on the bench, and miss SANFL games and it doesn't harm his career at all.

I wonder if our thin SANFL line up is impacting our selections at all?

Thin senior list in the first place (then minus Gibbs, minus Stengle) plus a few injuries

We may not want a completely uncompetitive SANFL team running around thinking that Worrall, Newchurch, Pedlar and co won't develop at all in that environment.

So we make calls like D Mac in SANFL rather than sub so they have an experienced head down there. Injured Lynch sub rather than pull another player out of the SANFL line up.

Guys who are 85-90% fit suit up rather than take the extra week maybe...? We're thin anyway, imagine what we'd look like with 2-3 more on the sidelines.
Like this week ??

It's reasonable to suggest we'd want to remain somewhat competitive in SANFL games. I mean even if you're a kid, going and getting torched in the local league wouldn't be great for team morale and possibly retention.

I say just play Newchurch. Charlie Cameron never set the world on fire before his debut, far from it.

Do we rate him as a talent? If yes (which by all reports is the case), give him a crack.
Not after yesterday’s putrid effort. He was afraid of making body contact. He may be quick and flashy but is not doing those team things at the moment.

Like this week ??

It's reasonable to suggest we'd want to remain somewhat competitive in SANFL games. I mean even if you're a kid, going and getting torched in the local league wouldn't be great for team morale and possibly retention.
So... what your thoughts?

Compromise our sub choice and/or player recovery timeline in order to field a slightly stronger SANFL team.

Worthwhile exercise? Or wrong priorities?

The Lynch sub situation showed that we are trying to achieve multiple objectives at once which may not be possible.

So... what your thoughts?

Compromise our sub choice and/or player recovery timeline in order to field a slightly stronger SANFL team.

Worthwhile exercise? Or wrong priorities?

The Lynch sub situation showed that we are trying to achieve multiple objectives at once which may not be possible.
I wonder how much the SANFL rule of subs not being able to play if they play any AFL time has changed our thought process on it.

It's a tough one. I think having a slightly stronger SANFL side isn't a bad thing, I mean getting belted every week does harm development IMO. I'm not a huge fan of having kids on the subs bench, particularly first year players. You either pick them in the seniors or like Newchurch have them learn their craft in the 2s.

Having guys like Mackay and Lynch (if fit of course) allows you to do that. If they miss a weekend of footy it matters very little in the scheme of things.

If we ever eventually get some players back from injury that's the way I'd go. Senior, expendable type on the subs bench. Give the kids in the 2 sides.

My changes for this week:

OUT
Murphy (inj - likely 6-8 weeks)
McHenry (Concussion - 1 week)
Himmelberg
Mackay (to Sub)

IN
C Jones
Murray
Newchurch
Hately

Rational:
  • Jones comes in to play an attacking half back role. To do this, we push Hamill to the wing and Seedsman to the full time midfield/forward role. No point bringing him back and putting him in a role that won't work.
  • Murray comes in to solidify the backlines and to release Doedee back to his best role.
  • Newchurch in to add some speed. I know he isn't really ready, but we are super slow ahead of centre. The wide ground might help him. It's worth giving him a shot.
  • Himmelberg out. He's slow and offering nothing. Thilthorpe is already better at every facet of the game.
  • Hately in. I'm not a big fan, but need to give him a run of games to see what he has and let him settle.

The team:

Brown Butts Jones
Doedee Murray Smith
Hamill Laird Sholl
Seedsman Walker Schoenberg
Fogarty Thilthorpe Rowe

1R: ROB Keays Sloane
INT: Berry Newchurch Hately Kelly

Sub: Mackay

Is it me or does this look like a lot better structure than what we have done the last few weeks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My changes for this week:

OUT
Murphy (inj - likely 6-8 weeks)
McHenry (Concussion - 1 week)
Himmelberg
Mackay (to Sub)

IN
C Jones
Murray
Newchurch
Hately

Rational:
  • Jones comes in to play an attacking half back role. To do this, we push Hamill to the wing and Seedsman to the full time midfield/forward role. No point bringing him back and putting him in a role that won't work.
  • Murray comes in to solidify the backlines and to release Doedee back to his best role.
  • Newchurch in to add some speed. I know he isn't really ready, but we are super slow ahead of centre. The wide ground might help him. It's worth giving him a shot.
  • Himmelberg out. He's slow and offering nothing. Thilthorpe is already better at every facet of the game.
  • Hately in. I'm not a big fan, but need to give him a run of games to see what he has and let him settle.

The team:

Brown Butts Jones
Doedee Murray Smith
Hamill Laird Sholl
Seedsman Walker Schoenberg
Fogarty Thilthorpe Rowe

1R: ROB Keays Sloane
INT: Berry Newchurch Hately Kelly

Sub: Mackay

Is it me or does this look like a lot better structure than what we have done the last few weeks?
Would change Newchurch and Hately for Worrell and O'Connor. O'Connor has much more upside than Hately imo. He can win the ball on the inside and is a much better user on the outside than Hately. While I would like to see Newchurch as I feel the experience may open his eyes up to how much work he needs to do to make it I feel he isn't ready. If we are resting Walker and possibly dropping Berg I would play Worrell in the Lynch role and play Fogarty and Thilthorpe up forward.

Why is everyone saying Mackay sub?

I dont want him anywhere near the ******* team, he offers zero value whether that be in the 22, or as the medical sub

We have created this narrative not to have a young player as a sub, WTF?

Im ok having a young player as a sub as long as its not his debut, or for multiple weeks in a row

As a young player their are benefits travelling and preparing with the team, based on our record this year the sub will likely get down time

DMac time needs to come to an end unless we have no other player to end

He offers zero value in any role, sub role included

yep.. id rather chuck davis in as the sub.. can play forward and back and works up the ground..

I think hes almost certainly a delist at years end so if he spends a couple of game rotting on the sub bench then we really arent losing much..

yep.. id rather chuck davis in as the sub.. can play forward and back and works up the ground..

I think hes almost certainly a delist at years end so if he spends a couple of game rotting on the sub bench then we really arent losing much..
It's not a bad way of looking at it.

Good week for it with no sanfl... as can then revert to Mackay the following week.

Yeah, Newchurch is going fine and looks a decent prospect but he's coming from a bit further back

A season of SANFL and aiming for AFL preseason games next year is a perfect timeline for him. Then take it from there
look, I definately agree that he isnt ready.. watching all of the sanfl games so far makes that bleedingly obvious.. but, * it.. just give him a run. the experience might help open his eyes to whats required at the top level and make him realise how much more work he has to put in.

sit him down after the game if he gets towelled up and play him a replay of every thing he did wrong. explain to him exactly what he needs to do.

nothing to lose given we pretty much have an empty cupboard when it comes to small forward stocks..

Good week for it with no sanfl... as can then revert to Mackay the following week.
and if, by some absolute and utter miracle, we have an injury in the first quarter and davis comes on and plays a blinder then...

nah, actually.. scratch that.. there is literally no chance.

and if, by some absolute and utter miracle, we have an injury in the first quarter and davis comes on and plays a blinder then...

nah, actually.. scratch that.. there is literally no chance.
Which bit.... We'll no doubt end up with an injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back