Preview Changes round 9 vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

When it comes to Tariek, we have to temper expectations a bit.
Looking back, he played purely U18's last year. No reserves, no League. He flashed in and out of games there.

This year, he has stepped straight in to league football. He's playing as a small forward for a team that has been competitive some weeks and been smashed in the midfield in other weeks.
Despite this he has kicked 9 goals in 6 games. He has kicked a goal in all but one game.

He averages nearly 11 disposals, 3.2 marks and 3.5 tackles per game.

Stengle has played 4 matches this year. He averages 13 disposals, 3 marks and 2.5 tackles. He has kicked 5 goals in his 4 games. 4 of those came against us.

I know Newchurch has some flaws and there are aspects he needs to improve, but I'd say he's had a pretty bl00dy good start to the year actually.
I watched the sanfl replay of the weekends game last night..

I didnt actually think Tariek was as bad as everyone was making him out to be just after the game..

He was far better than mcadam and at times look very dangerous.

He just sits back just off the contest a bit too much.. either he’s;

1) a little bit scared to put his body on the line and lacks the confidence.
2) lacks work rate/naturally lazy
3) is actually being coached to stay just outside the contest and wait for a releasing handball
Or
4) hes just completely missing that part of his game and always has..

Its weird to watch him do it because when he does actually go in and chase the ball he’s nearly always pretty clean in getting hold of it and then dishing it off..

The good thing is maturity, training and guidance can solve most of these 4 points.. the second and fouth being the most worrying ones..

But hes got explosive pace, great skills and plenty of Xfactor..

Give him a run this weekend. Got nothing to lose in doing so. Maybe he’ll learn something..

The other issue is that sanfl league is so s**t for developing our players.. it must be unbelievably demoralising to have to put up with thaat shockingly biased umpiring and the poor s**t that the top ups dish out pretty regularly.. that port game I swear there were a dozen or more unbelievably ridiculous decisions that were either unwhistled or went against us in the first half alone.. port players mustve clumbsily plowed into the heads of crows players reaching down to pick up the ball 3 times in that first quarter and each time is what play on!..

I watched the sanfl replay of the weekends game last night..

I didnt actually think Tariek was as bad as everyone was making him out to be just after the game..

He was far better than mcadam and at times look very dangerous.

He just sits back just off the contest a bit too much.. either he’s;

1) a little bit scared to put his body on the line and lacks the confidence.
2) lacks work rate/naturally lazy
3) is actually being coached to stay just outside the contest and wait for a releasing handball
Or
4) hes just completely missing that part of his game and always has..

Its weird to watch him do it because when he does actually go in and chase the ball he’s nearly always pretty clean in getting hold of it and then dishing it off..

The good thing is maturity, training and guidance can solve most of these 4 points.. the second and fouth being the most worrying ones..

But hes got explosive pace, great skills and plenty of Xfactor..

Give him a run this weekend. Got nothing to lose in doing so. Maybe he’ll learn something..

The other issue is that sanfl league is so sh*t for developing our players.. it must be unbelievably demoralising to have to put up with thaat shockingly biased umpiring and the poor sh*t that the top ups dish out pretty regularly.. that port game I swear there were a dozen or more unbelievably ridiculous decisions that were either unwhistled or went against us in the first half alone.. port players mustve clumbsily plowed into the heads of crows players reaching down to pick up the ball 3 times in that first quarter and each time is what play on!..
I still haven’t watched the weekends SANFL I have all the others and the trials
In the first few I thought we have a raw talented lad here. I may have commented that he is building/learning but the last game pulled me back
He has a lot to learn
Would rather throw someone like Davies to prove himself before a season end delist

I still haven’t watched the weekends SANFL I have all the others and the trials
In the first few I thought we have a raw talented lad here. I may have commented that he is building/learning but the last game pulled me back
He has a lot to learn
Would rather throw someone like Davies to prove himself before a season end delist
It's Ben Davis and Oliver Davis, maybe I'm being picky but I've seen it multiple times today.

Creative would be like moving Brown to be a small pressure forward... to allow us to play another tall backman...
I've seen this mentioned a few times over the journey. Brown to play small forward...

But I've never seen anything that remotely suggests brown could contribute as a small forward.

His drivers license is stamped lock down back pocket.
Brown’s too good in the back pocket for his own good.
Like Laird he played in the middle in the SANFL before being locked into the back pocket. Iexpected him to transition (or at least be tried) as a mid at some point but looks very unlikely now. I think he’d surprise people in other roles.

How the hell is Ben Davis still on our list?
Because he's a tease, every now and then he does something remarkable that ordinary footballers can't, when he's on which isn't very often he's shown some spectacular overhead marking and ability to run rings around his opponents. Also seems to be very popular among the playing group and coaches.

I think it's time we get creative.

Dood to play forward.
Tex in the midfield.
Laird as a small forward.
Sholl in the ruck.

Let's mix it up!

Only if ROB is the small defender.

Because he's a tease, every now and then he does something remarkable that ordinary footballers can't, when he's on which isn't very often he's shown some spectacular overhead marking and ability to run rings around his opponents. Also seems to be very popular among the playing group and coaches.

That and we really haven't been short of delistings in the past couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's a tease, every now and then he does something remarkable that ordinary footballers can't, whenndersnaround he's on which isn't very often he's shown some spectacular overhead marking and ability to run rings around his opponents. Also seems to be very popular among the playing group and coaches.
I was first on board the Ben Davis train after watching him at training before his first SANFL trial match in the tricolour. He is a great build, has speed, is a strong mark and good disposal skils. After the Sturt game I finally jumped off the train. I watched him closely and finally realised his problem. He doesn’t enjoy playing football. He wanders around and is very selective about when he will participate in the game.

Then in the last quarter we moved him into defence, he looked great and I jumped back on board. I need to accept defeat, in this particular instance, Vader was right cough, splutter, choke....

Why would McAdam come in?

He stunk it up for 4 weeks in the AFL, then went to the SANFL and was probably the worst player on the ground. I'd think he needs some form before he gets picked again.
Berry Forward .....bring O'Connor in for his debut

Davis will probably get a job on our social media team after he's delisted just so they can keep him around the club, all the boys love him.

I hope we give O'Connor a crack, especially being a WA lad how good would it be to debut in the West.
Ben Davis is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet. Just a genuine, kind person.
I'd be very much in favour of him having role.

Game will be played in our back half. I reckon we stack the side with defenders

B McAsey - Butts - Worrell
HB Doedee - Borlase - Murray
C McPherson - Kelly - Mackay
HF Hamill - Himmelberg - Brown
F Smith - Fogarty - Seedsman
R O'Brien - Sloane - Keays

I Jones - Schoenberg - Laird - Berry

Out: McHenry, Murphy, Rowe, Walker, Thilthorpe, Sholl
In: McAsey, Worrell, Borlase, Murray, McPherson, Jones
Park the bus

Not sure there's much left in the shed.

Murph and McHenry will miss. McPherson still droppable. Berg did little.

O'Connor, Hately, Worrell, Murray/McAsey (though we seem inexplicably committed to the 1 KPD setup)??? Not sure I'd be bringing Jones back just yet.

McAdam might come back in by default as a semi-small forward, but he didn't really respond to his dropping by all accounts.

There's nothing left in the shed. I listed them all in the GBU thread against Pear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back