Prediction Changes Swans V Dogs at a Drying SCG 8/7/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby has done two knees. I suspect this week is his last week in the 2s.

Hannan is not necessarily playing down back though - the Cleary selection would make sense if it was certain that’s where he was starting.

Regardless, I imagine next week we will likely have Hannan, Bedendo or Scott make way for Bailey Smith and McLean anyway.
Whether he’s forward trying to stop the intercepting of McCartin x2, Rampe & Blakely or back matching up on Buddy, Reid or Amarty either way it doesn’t really read well for us - blokes a lemon, no right to be walking into our best 22 off 10+ weeks on the sidelines and 1 very poor vfl game

In his 2 games back from injury McLean has been very good in the VFL. He's a different sized/style player to Hannan but for a forward/utility role, I think he'd be the better choice.
I'd guess that Toby might not even be available for senior selection just yet. We rushed him back last year so we may have just let him get a few non-pressure VFL games under his belt as part of his return program.

Toby has done two knees. I suspect this week is his last week in the 2s.

Hannan is not necessarily playing down back though - the Cleary selection would make sense if it was certain that’s where he was starting.

Regardless, I imagine next week we will likely have Hannan, Bedendo or Scott make way for Bailey Smith and McLean anyway.

was thinking more Cleary to the backline, Scott wing forward with Bedendo.

Like I said an eye on 2023.

Whether Hannan back or not does not exclude Cleary. I would play Cleary back and go from there.

Whether he’s forward trying to stop the intercepting of McCartin x2, Rampe & Blakely or back matching up on Buddy, Reid or Amarty either way it doesn’t really read well for us - blokes a lemon, no right to be walking into our best 22 off 10+ weeks on the sidelines and 1 very poor vfl game
Hard to take someone seriously when they’re just openly insulting players. Be better than that mate.

Experimenting with Hannam and Scott in new positions in important games…..

Why can’t he just play players on their position??? Ffs

Cleary and Crozier are both defenders, just play them there.

This in my opinion is one of the biggest issues.

We fail to settle players in one position, develop them in that position, teach them how to play that position and if they don't make it in that position they are let go. This is why there is confusion and lack of cohesion. How can a player learn his craft if they are played all over the place.
How can an assistant coach do his job when they have a revolving door on their line?

I am not so quick to blame players when I see a Schache (forward go back and into the ruck/wing) Buku (from back to a forward and take the ruck at times)
Scott (where is his best position?) Cordy (back one week forward next week, back to the VFL to play what position?) etc etc

Confusion reigns at Whitten Oval

Looks like it's either schache or hannan back. Neither are exciting options to me. Would have preferred to keep Croz if TOB was going out.

I don't think we needed Garcia in. His strength wrt inside/contested ball is not really an area we've been struggling in so I don't understand that one.

Good to have Richards and English back, and mccomb out. Would think Hannan would be a direct improvement on mccombs role so it's a bit weird if he's flagged to play defence.

Expect that with TOB out Schache plays back.

Main concern is the large number of players either not established in the side or in their proposed positions, plus the number coming back from injuries.

Little can be genuinely expected from newbies Bedendo and Garcia.

If we add in the moderate contributions that are typically delivered by Gardner, JUH, Schache, Hannan and Scott, then we need enormous contributions from the rest of the side.

We need a big game from Cody Weightman amongst others, because he has made nil impact since he hurt his elbow. It’s clear that he shouldn’t have played the last couple of weeks, and I would have rested him this week too.

We will need a significant contribution from him and/or a few more of those on the expected passenger list to beat the Swans on their home turf.

Yeah look I don't see any reason why Hannan is back in this team instantly. I think he gets a bad rap on here to an extent, but I just don't really see the value in him being launched (almost) straight back into this squad, either on past AFL form or current VFL form.

I honestly don't know which option I hate more: Hannan or Schache back.

I hate Hannan back because I just don't want to experiment at this point. Seems like he was thrown forward to end the game in the VFL last week anyway? It's a classic "let's see what happens because he fast and can mark" and the time to do that is not a R17 game against a top 8 side that we desperately need to win.

But - Schache back also irks me. Firstly, he will probably take on Amartey - and that is a shocking matchup for him. O'Brien would actually have been much more suited. Secondly, we need to solidify our structure if we're going to make finals or do anything - so we're going to get used to a smaller forward line for two weeks, then Bruce comes in and we have to adjust to playing three talls again? Where is the sense in that? I'm also just sick of Schache being thrown around like a hot potato.

I guess based on that Hannan back sounds like the least bad option...but I don't know that it's a better option than Cleary or Crozier or O'Brien.

Yeah look I don't see any reason why Hannan is back in this team instantly. I think he gets a bad rap on here to an extent, but I just don't really see the value in him being launched (almost) straight back into this squad, either on past AFL form or current VFL form.

I honestly don't know which option I hate more: Hannan or Schache back.

I hate Hannan back because I just don't want to experiment at this point. Seems like he was thrown forward to end the game in the VFL last week anyway? It's a classic "let's see what happens because he fast and can mark" and the time to do that is not a R17 game against a top 8 side that we desperately need to win.

But - Schache back also irks me. Firstly, he will probably take on Amartey - and that is a shocking matchup for him. O'Brien would actually have been much more suited. Secondly, we need to solidify our structure if we're going to make finals or do anything - so we're going to get used to a smaller forward line for two weeks, then Bruce comes in and we have to adjust to playing three talls again? Where is the sense in that? I'm also just sick of Schache being thrown around like a hot potato.

I guess based on that Hannan back sounds like the least bad option...but I don't know that it's a better option than Cleary or Crozier or O'Brien.

I think the only reason Hannan is back is he is better defensively than Schache when the ball hits the ground and rebounding from our forward line is a big problem for us. I assume Schache plays back.

im not sure if im happy melb lost or sad geelong won.....but i will know how i will feel after tonights game against swans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im not sure if im happy melb lost or sad geelong won.....but i will know how i will feel after tonights game against swans
Why Not Have Both Government Shutdown GIF

Incorrect, Schache played as a defensive forward on Alli Alli. He did not play backline in that match. Yet he did play about 4 home and away games in defense last year and was serviceable (as good as what we currently have).
You’re right, my bad, but I still think he’s capable and Hannan would be more value forward.

I hope we show up tonight. I don't think we've shown up once in any semi-big contest this season.
We were quite good against Sydney earlier in the year but couldn’t convert - won in the end, my memory of the Richmond game is similar in that we played well but couldn’t convert and consequently lost. The Collingwood game as well.

Not great reading other than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back