Changes to leadership group?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mumford, Shaw and Gilham added to leadership group.

New emerging leaders group: Coniglio, Smith, Treloar, Cameron, Shiel, Hampton, Buntine, Giles

Captains and vice captains to be announced in the new year.

http://bit.ly/1jOVEWn

Surprised with buntine! No Palmer or hunt is also strange.

On Buntine its easy to forget that at the u18 level he was always rated as a future AFL captain and might also be a sign he is really ready to step up in '14. Not surprise about Hunt missing out as he only joined the preseason group a couple of weeks ago.

Adding Shaw and Mumford who will both be at the club for a few years is a good move. Not adding Hunt who will only be around for one is not surprising and not overly worrying. He'll lead by example anyway. No need to be in a formalized leadership group.

Like the idea of an emerging leadership group and who they've picked. Hopefully it will be Good-Curtley not WTF-Curtley in there. Buntine there as potential captain of the NEAFL side?

Be mad, absolutely MAD, to change captains and vice. Leave the trio there. They've been great so far.

Adding Shaw and Mumford who will both be at the club for a few years is a good move. Not adding Hunt who will only be around for one is not surprising and not overly worrying. He'll lead by example anyway. No need to be in a formalized leadership group.

Like the idea of an emerging leadership group and who they've picked. Hopefully it will be Good-Curtley not WTF-Curtley in there. Buntine there as potential captain of the NEAFL side?

Be mad, absolutely MAD, to change captains and vice. Leave the trio there. They've been great so far.

Call me old fashioned, but I dont buy this modern 'leadership group' stuff - the players know who the leaders are.

Call me old fashioned, but I dont buy this modern 'leadership group' stuff - the players know who the leaders are.

I tend to agree on the players knowing who the leaders are, but the advantage of actually naming them as a "leadership group" means they have a recognized structure in the club. Makes it easier for players to deal with the club heirarchy as a whole.

Hunt was never in the leadership group at Geelong so I don't think he should be in ours. Especially since he may only be with us for only a season. Putting Shaw in the leadership group is an interesting call given the trouble he was at Collingwood. Maybe they think it will help him focus on being more of a team player? I don't think we need a change in the Captain & Vice Captains at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaw and Mumford certs to feature you'd think.

Wonder if Gilham will get a VC role after being elevated to the leadership group?

I like the decision to back in Ward and Davis (and Scully) while acknowledging the veteran status of Shaw and Mumford.

Shaw named Vice captain.

Vice being the operative word.

perhaps he can get the younger players to put his bets on for him. :)

C'mon........Just kidding!!

So we have a two tier leadership structure. A 1st division Leadership Group and an Emerging Leadership Group. How does that second one work?

And what title are we giving to Mumford and Gilham? You can't have 2 Captains, 2 Vice-Captains and 2 Other-Guys. They need a proper title.

At the end of the year will it be promotion and relegation? Will the two worst performing leaders from the Leadership Group drop down to be replaced by the best two from the 2nd division.? Will there be playoffs involved?

Congrats to all in both groups.

leaderweb.jpg
Here's a link to some audio of Dave Matthews, Leon Cameron, Phil Davis & Tom Scully at today's 2014 Greater Western Sydney Leadership Group announcement:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back