Changes to SEQ Senior Footy for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

RAZ66

Senior List
Jan 4, 2015
Chinchilla
AFL Club
Fremantle
finally everyone gets there Friday night competition.
I guess that will mean any new clubs will either need lights or two teams.
Hope Jimboomba get their lights working for next year.

runstraight

Senior List
Aug 10, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
does this mean now northern rivers are playing against brisbane teams etc for next year?

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
finally everyone gets there Friday night competition.
I guess that will mean any new clubs will either need lights or two teams.
Hope Jimboomba get their lights working for next year.

I think there is a bit of discontent about splitting it up.

Not sure everyone is keen on playing in a 6 team comp, no matter what level it is

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some clubs have wanted to split that comp for ages, others not so keen.

It's no surprise its finally happened when a Senior AFLQ employee plays a few games for one of the lower ranked sides and cops a few hidings. (even though that same side played in a GF only 3 years ago)

Realtalkz

Senior List
Jul 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Splitting QAFA b is ridiculous. 6 team comps would be terrible. The side who finished 3rd last this year won 5 of 16. That's not a terrible season.. Sure, Yeronga and Ipswich struggle, but above that, with the way they did the draw this year, it's a fairly decent comp. There are going to be standout teams, same as EVERY COMP THERE IS! The AFL might need to look at splitting next season so the lions can feel special again...

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Which comp are you talking about QAFL?

Look, bottom line is you are rarely, if ever, going to get consensus on this sort of thing. Its more about doing what is right for footy in the main. Certainly the better competitions need to have 8 teams minimum, up to 12 max. If there is promo/relegation then no one should really moan too much bc you can always move out of your division if good enough.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just the Friday night comp mate, not a big deal. But its been an enjoyable comp for players and supporters for a number of years. Gone from strength to strength from the dark days of 5 or 6 teams in some seasons.

Now they have had 13 and 12 teams last 2 seasons and the proposal is to split into 2 comps, which is just stupid. Like I said, given a high level AFLQ employee played in a bottom 2 side this year that was on the end of plenty of hidings, suddenly this move gets endorsed!

there were no winless teams in this competition, 9th and 10th had 5 wins and both of them had victories over sides that played finals.

There is absolutely zero sense to splitting this competition up. Further, Yeronga who finished 11th on 2 wins, played in the GF in 2013 and played finals in 2014.

Turning a thriving 12 team comp into 2 crappy 6 team comps will rip the guts out of the Friday night footy competition.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah have to be careful about thinking that bc a side is terrible one year it will be terrible the next. I think its more about consistency of poor form that is the real key.
After they have sorted the Div 1 comp (one below QAFL) and could easily be a 12 team comp, then make Div 2 12 teams and the balance end up in the Div 3 comp (Friday night) which would be 8-10 teams I imagine. I think Fri night footy might work up on the sunshine coast too mind you - never really been explored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realtalkz

Senior List
Jul 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just the Friday night comp mate, not a big deal. But its been an enjoyable comp for players and supporters for a number of years. Gone from strength to strength from the dark days of 5 or 6 teams in some seasons.

Now they have had 13 and 12 teams last 2 seasons and the proposal is to split into 2 comps, which is just stupid. Like I said, given a high level AFLQ employee played in a bottom 2 side this year that was on the end of plenty of hidings, suddenly this move gets endorsed!

there were no winless teams in this competition, 9th and 10th had 5 wins and both of them had victories over sides that played finals.

There is absolutely zero sense to splitting this competition up. Further, Yeronga who finished 11th on 2 wins, played in the GF in 2013 and played finals in 2014.

Turning a thriving 12 team comp into 2 crappy 6 team comps will rip the guts out of the Friday night footy competition.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree... They can make a "suitable" draw again, even though the top sides all played each other twice, the best 5 clubs played finals. 6th was a raffle and kept 3-4 clubs interested as they were close. So there is 8-9 clubs all there abouts. Yes there is a gap between top and bottom but that occurs in every comp. Woodsmen, Zillmere and Sandgate are made up of a lot of 33+ year olds. All three could come back to the pack in the next year or two.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree.

The backbones of those 3 sides are essentially in footy retirement. They are probably being heavily scouted by Masters teams!

The Woodsmen could fall off a cliff if a few of their older blokes retired.

The Friday competition is so unpredictable, its stupid to split it up. Will do more harm than good.

Blokes in their mid 30's won't want to play in a 6 team comp with 6 strong sides and will just give it away instead.

I think you'll find the likes of Colly Park get better and better in coming years, Ferny Grove will improve again and apparently Mt Gravatt and Jindalee might put a side in. I hope Morningside don't insult everyone by entering a team again, what a joke.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Must admit, I'm not a fan of splitting up the comp. I see the reasons for it, but i think the negatives outweigh the positives.

It would effect the way our club operates and could see us lose players and not bring new guys in who are new to the game, which would be a shame.

Need minimum 8 teams in the top comp if they split it.

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thommo42 - I've been told 2 things today by reasonable sources.

1. Woodies might fold next year altogether
2. Woodies will 'technically' fold, but will be reborn as Western Magpies 3rds

Any truth to either of these rumours?

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
No to both.

There is some chance we will merge back into the Magpie umbrella, but we would still operate independently.

A few guys are going to leave to play Div 5, but that's fine.

Doddsy75

Team Captain
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Last time I checked, Colts was part of the senior footy program.

No mention of Colts anywhere. Surely to get a QAFL license, you have to have Colts. (perhaps a reason UQ was axed?)

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
Don't think promotion should be automatic after one year. Surely clubs should be given the opportunity to go back-to-back.

Realtalkz

Senior List
Jul 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Promotion and relegation is great in theory, reality will be slightly different. A gun side one year faces the real prospect of being a lower ranked side the year after, even with the same side when they move up a level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back