1. Thank you for your feedback on the NEW BigFooty Theme

While we digest the feedback and make some changes, we'll roll back to the old theme as default. The new theme will still be available to select - instructions are here.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Changes to SEQ Senior Footy for 2017

Discussion in 'Queensland Footy' started by sportzboy05, Aug 5, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. Moro_

Moro_ Debutant

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I agree the proposed div 4 & 5 with 6 or so teams seems very short sighted.

I would say however that I assume that just like the QAFA B Northern Rivers and Sun Coast did this year that there would be a couple of "cross Conference" games

This year the Sun coast clubs played against the Wide bay teams and Northern Rivers played against clubs around Grafton etc, so I could see that there is a possibility of Div4 teams against div 5 for 2 games during the year........ don't get me wrong I am not saying I like this idea just putting out there some possibilities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Doddsy75

Doddsy75 Team Captain

Richmond
    Other teams:
    I like the idea of promotion/relegation, but the reality might be different - especially in the lower divisions when players might often retire after a flag, or some might want to stay in the lower division with a little less commitment, so just change clubs if their team goes up.

AFLQ can't be expected to plan for everything though, the only real headscratcher is splitting up Div 4 and 5. I'm told the clubs all agreed to it, but I doubt they realised what they were agreeing to at the time.

smy1305 and karmaking like this.
  3. smy1305

smy1305 Premiership Player

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    That's the whole idea of relegation/promotion - a club might win the premiership, go up and have to battle. A lot of the time they come straight back down. Far, far more preferable than the club staying in the same division and just dominating it year in year out. It is a system that works beautifully in nearly all areas of Australia - pretty sure Qld footy isn't unique.

karmaking likes this.
  4. damochandler

damochandler Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Doncaster played finals in efl div 1 this year coming from div 2 last year

karmaking likes this.
  5. ablett

ablett Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Bond Uni would argue that

Doddsy75 and karmaking like this.
  6. Doddsy75

Doddsy75 Team Captain

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Bond Uni - QAFL Premiers 2018 !

karmaking likes this.
  7. ablett

ablett Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Well the door is open for 10th club since Uni Q left & im told Bond Uni do have aspirations to join the State comp

8. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Yeah I think damo the clubs need to take a whole heap of the blame here. They seem to pressure the aflq admin by talking from own perspective as though it is common place across every club. For example the travel factor was and has never really been a factor for Sunshine Coast clubs. The old BAFL and then pineapple cup comps were in the main enjoyed by blokes up this way. A trip to the Gold Coast was usually looked forward to! Yep, sometimes 2s sides struggled to get numbers together but this is no different to current set up eg Coomera. The Bruce highway is a much better road than 20 years ago, there are tolls that reduce time getting to the south side, and blokes bc of their inclusion in rep sides as young fellas tend to accept it better. Ffs we have 16 yr olds going to Aspley and Sandgate every week.
    If travelling 45min to play a game of footy is not for you then God help you wanting to play in most areas of Australia!

9. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Won't be another other Gold Coast team unless one of the incumbents drop out.

10. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Other teams:

11. damochandler

damochandler Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I use to love the travel to the coast games. Longest trips was Noosa because you were going around in a circle. Compared to coolly where you just drive straight down the m1 and Burleigh was easy Enough to find

smy1305 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Yep my old footy club from debuting into senior footy. Still follow their progress. Great to see.

karmaking likes this.
  13. RAZ66

RAZ66 Senior List

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    As no one is playing for sheep stations it really wont matter if the winning team goes up one year and doesn't do so well and has to come back the year after again. But if it gives a chance to another club to win a little bit of silver one year it is a good thing.

Blocker Roach and smy1305 like this.
  14. brizrider

brizrider Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
    Other Teams:
    Was wondering, given that is no U17 or U18 comp in Brisbane, what would be the best fit for a fairly average U16 player that wants to progress to the next level? I'm talking about a kid who has played since U8's all the way through and might have ended up playing div 2/3 type footy in U16, not rep player or future QAFL type material. He wants to stay in the game in grade 12 and early uni. What would be his next kind of level in the community footy scene in Brisbane?

15. Thommo 42

Thommo 42 Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    There is an u18 comp.

Colts

16. brizrider

brizrider Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Other Teams:
    All I can see this year is AFLQ colts. Is there another level of Colts?

17. The Thistle

The Thistle Debutant

Geelong
    Other teams:
    If you're a bit worried about body size/ability etc I'd go with QFA Div5. I'll be coaching a Brisbane suburban club so feel free to private message me if you like.

brizrider and nugget_12 like this.
  18. Doddsy75

Doddsy75 Team Captain

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Colts is under 18 football.

It's played at a variety of levels. The QAFL clubs have their own Colts competition, but then plenty of 2nd and 3rd tier clubs have Colts as well.

However, Thistle is correct - that senior football in Division 5 could be a good fit also.

brizrider likes this.
  19. brizrider

brizrider Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Other Teams:
    Thanks. It's the 2nd or 3rd tier clubs and their COLTS comps that I can't see on the competition hub page on the QAFL site. I'm not sure how to work out what clubs have COLTS teams. It's not for me, I've got a cousin who looks like he might be moving up from Sydney and wants to play.

http://www.aflq.com.au/seq-competitions/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  20. Bunyip62

Bunyip62 Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Fixtures for Colts comp(s) not yet finalised but will be soon. There will be about 10-15 teams in Colts (other than the QAFL Colts) in maybe one, maybe two, separate competitions.

21. brizrider

brizrider Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Other Teams:
    That's great info, thanks!

22. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    But it won't be worse than the qafl colts. Certainly the top sides would quite easily account for qafl colts sides. Colts and qafl teams have very little correlation to ability.
    Sounds like he is of average ability. Find a team who needs players so he can get a run without worrying too much about it. And div 5 could be the answer!

23. smy1305

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    It's one comp, 10 teams I think.

24. Doddsy75

Doddsy75 Team Captain

Richmond
    Other teams:
    It will be of similar standard I would think.

The best QAFL Colts won't be worst than the best QFA Colts. Maroochy will be strong, as will others. Just as Magpies and Mt Gravatt will be strong.

Some QAFL clubs will push their best colts to QAFL Reserves, but I doubt any QFA Clubs will do that, their best Colts will play Colts unless they get a Senior game