Unofficial Preview Changes v Bombers, Metricon Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think there will be changes, anyone feeling sore or overly fatigued will be managed, 3 games in 9 days from Friday.

Outs- Daniel Rich(inj), Tom Berry(Omit), Archie Smith(Omit).

Ins- Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Connor Ballenden, Alex Witherden.

Archie offers nothing unfortunately, Birchall may need a rest as well, if so Answerth in.

Witherden for Rich. CEY for Junior Berry. Bombers have a lot of good running mids like Merrett and Shiel but not so many good contested mids. So hopefully CEY can come in and win plenty of contested ball.

I would expect a lot of guys to be rested after the Essendon game. We need to look at the bigger picture.

Thought Starc looked a bit dopey for awhile after his heavy collision. Hope he is ok.

Out: Rich, Berry
In: Witherden, Ellis-Yolmen

If for some stupid reason McStay gets a week for standing still and bracing as a player charges him head first, Ballenden seems a likely choice based off reported form.

Out: Rich
In: Witherden.

Not 100% on switching out T.Berry for CEY. In terms of a horses for courses thing is it going to be necessary against the Bombres? Do we need a big body midfielder in there this week or can we give him an extra few days to make sure he's cherry ripe for the game against Richmond where we might be more in need of a big body? I'm almost thinking Tom's off the chart exuberance will be an asset against Essendon.

Not certain that McStay will be given anything greater than a fine for the incident with the ducking Melbourne player, but if he is then I guess it will be the next cab off the rank in terms of big guys.

Is Rich actually injured? I didn't notice anything being iced. Might have been a little tight and we were taking zero precaution?

Not 100% on switching out T.Berry for CEY. In terms of a horses for courses thing is it going to be necessary against the Bombres? Do we need a big body midfielder in there this week or can we give him an extra few days to make sure he's cherry ripe for the game against Richmond where we might be more in need of a big body? I'm almost thinking Tom's off the chart exuberance will be an asset against Essendon.

Not certain that McStay will be given anything greater than a fine for the incident with the ducking Melbourne player, but if he is then I guess it will be the next cab off the rank in terms of big guys.

Not sure how we can reward a player who gets two touches when guys who are performing well and desperate to play are missing out.

I agree regarding CEY maybe not being the best forward option to replace Berry, but would slot back into the midfield and let Zorko spend more time up forward.

Have been surprised for a month how Tom Berry has been getting a game.

Time for Allen Christensen.

Witherden for the injured Rich and CEY for Smith.

For all I care, Lachie Neale can support McInerney in the ruck, probably do as good a job as Smith too. Surely this Smith experiment is done.

hope Richy comes good otherwise he might get a rest for the Tigers game if a little sore.
You assume Witho comes in although said in the other thread leaves us down defence.
Rich does thinks that Birchall, Ah Chee and Witho do not body wise.

T Berry might get a rest and CEY comes in. Or E Smith, Matho or Dev? *edit* forgot about Bundy :)

Would love Fagan to go for one ruck and get Skinner/Ballenden in to pinch hit. Or even McStay pinch hit as the game cut down.
Although cannot see it happening. I know Stef's numbers not been great this year although Archie is almost a witches hat.
Not sure what happened to him over the last few years he seemed more up and about a few years ago.

Is Rich actually injured? I didn't notice anything being iced. Might have been a little tight and we were taking zero precaution?

Fagan in his press conference said he was unlikely for next week but didn’t seem to have much information.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon no changes besides forced ones (Richy and potentially McStay). Hopefully McStay gets off without copping a whack, but who knows. By sounds of it with the 5 day turnaround, even if the hammy isn't too bad then Richy will probably miss.

Very interesting choice for Richy's replacement. Tippa carved us up last year, so do we stick with current system and bring another good ball user in Witho, or do we bring in Answerth with a focus on holding Tippa? Not sure personally, but I'd probably still lean towards Witho.

With almost nothing to go off for the 2's, can't even speculate who'd merit McStay's spot if he got a week. Just have to trust the coaches.

Don't think changes besides that are necessary though. We just touched up the team with arguably most in-form ruck and one of the best inside-mid setups in the league. They've also invested heavily in their defence with May and Lever, whilst OMac has been in decent form lately as well, so no surprise our talls struggled in the wet. Honestly thought McStay was unlucky not to have a couple of marks paid in F50 as well.

Bez Jr will be important if he doesn't need a rest. With Saad running rings around fellas this year, it'll be important to limit his time and space. Bez has the hunger and aggression to take that challenge on. It's important Saad doesn't get the confidence up to do as he pleases, so I'd hate to throw off the team balance by forcing CEY back in and trying to get Zorko to play that selfless role up forward where he won't get too many touches of the pill. Feels like a bit of a waste of Zorko's ability. But if Bez Jr needs a rest then I don't see much other choice because Cox isn't aggressive enough to step up and I think Bundy lacks the pace, although he is much cleaner with the footy.

Can't wait to get into this period though. The less time we have in between games to write about things we pretend to understand about elite footy the better.

Not sure how we can reward a player who gets two touches when guys who are performing well and desperate to play are missing out.

I agree regarding CEY maybe not being the best forward option to replace Berry, but would slot back into the midfield and let Zorko spend more time up forward.

No problem at all with another player taking T.Berry's spot tbh, would love to get a look at Ely, or Dev etc, we have some exciting talent in the squad. Just disagree with the 'look at the stat sheet, go to the bottom, we have to replace them' mindset, there's more to footy than disposal numbers. If Eli, Dev, Bundy, Matho etc are working their arses off & deserve a run & the team is no worse off for it then sure thing, rotate away.

No problem at all with another player taking T.Berry's spot tbh, would love to get a look at Ely, or Dev etc, we have some exciting talent in the squad. Just disagree with the 'look at the stat sheet, go to the bottom, we have to replace them' mindset, there's more to footy than disposal numbers. If Eli, Dev, Bundy, Matho etc are working their arses off & deserve a run & the team is no worse off for it then sure thing, rotate away.

I completely agree - that is a silly thing to do.

I look at Berrys game as a HFF and judge it on several metrics.

1) did he kick goals
2) did he set up goals
3) did he provide pressure

Of the above, Berry did not score, he had one goal assist and managed zero tackles. Several attempts were broken (which will stick in time as he develops) and he gave away a free, as well as created a turnover with one of his two touches.

If he's not setting up goals, kicking goals or sticking tackles, how does he deserve to hold his spot when we have high performing players in the reserves knocking on the door?

I like Berry and think he showed last week he can impact the game up the ground, but as a forward he simply doesn't do enough and isn't AFL standard yet.

Speaking of stat sheets, our Pressure Acts were led by J Berry 26, Zorko 25, Lyons 23, Hugh 15, Bailey 14 and T Berry 13. He might not be doing the flash stuff people would love to see, but every team needs role players. He's playing his role. That tap down to Charlie for his goal was great play as well. Also had 3 Inside 50 Ground Ball Gets, only behind Hugh who had 4. I'd like to see him stay in the team unless he needs a break.

1) did he kick goals
2) did he set up goals

Of the above, Berry did not score, he had one goal assist and managed zero tackles. Several attempts were broken (which will stick in time as he develops) and he gave away a free, as well as created a turnover with one of his two touches.

If he's not setting up goals, kicking goals or sticking tackles, how does he deserve to hold his spot when we have high performing players in the reserves knocking on the door?

I like Berry and think he showed last week he can impact the game up the ground, but as a forward he simply doesn't do enough and isn't AFL standard yet.

Well why didn't you put all that in your first post then, instead of making me look foolish now...

Ya bloody Benowa bastard.

1) did he kick goals
2) did he set up goals

Where are we getting all the info about players performances in the 2's? Have there been any articles or videos released?

Bodies through the midfield the key these next few weeks. Spreading the load of minutes - CEY if fit. Devon otherwise.
Plus the rich replacement not fussed

Will be an interesting game... anyone notice Essendon's strategy on the weekend is nearly exactly the same as ours, fast through the corridor and chaos balls into the 50, they lack a grade key talls and Tippa is basically their Charlie.

A bit of an inconsistent team but capable of beating anyone on their day... that sentence describes 3/4 of the comp. Another tough game coming up, no easy games anymore in this league!

Was thinking the same re CEY after seeing the Bombers run rings around us at the MCG and making us look slow. Could be time to give Coleman a chance instead of Terry and Answerth rather than Witho to counteract their quicks. Smith has to go but not sure for who after no feed back from the 2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back