Changes v Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

What has Bedendo done to deserve a game ahead of others?

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Had a ripping early VFL game but been quiet ever since. I wouldn’t pick him yet.

I want to see Clarke get up in the grille of some of these campaigners like the Geel inbreds

If we're looking to promote players based on form then Garcia, Harmes and Lobb have been our VFL standouts. If we're looking for an extra tall defender then JOD and Keath have been reasonable but not knocking down the door.
Garcia for either Daniel or Vandermeer is a no brainer IMO.

Bevo mentioned our small forwards playing well, including VDM, so he isn’t getting dropped. Which is a joke given his turnovers and the fact he can’t kick a goal from 15 metres out.

Time to drop Dale. He can’t defend and seemingly can’t kick anymore either.
VDM had 2 turnover!! Wow give me a spell. We lost because as a Team defence we allowed them to transition from their back half into their fwd50 to easily on occasions and they got easier goals than we did.
Plenty to be proud of and plenty we can improve on. No need to hate on any players. Cats will win most games and be a top 4 contender. We are not far off !!

VDM had 2 turnover!! Wow give me a spell. We lost because as a Team defence we allowed them to transition from their back half into their fwd50 to easily on occasions and they got easier goals than we did.
Plenty to be proud of and plenty we can improve on. No need to hate on any players. Cats will win most games and be a top 4 contender. We are not far off !!
Talking about how turnovers all season. He is part of the reason why teams transition easily from our forward 50. I.e bombing it in to a 1 v 3.

So far there have been calls for Daniel, Dale, Macrae and Williams to be dropped. These players are all contracted until 2027 with the exception of Daniel who is 2026. That's concerning.

I'd be surprised if any more than one of them gets dropped because it would be such a poor look and would start a season-long narrative questioning how we are managing our list. We don't need that playing out in public, even if it's a legitimate question.

It might be a good time to try Garcia instead of Daniel and bring in JOD in place of Vandermeer (or Gallagher if he's feeling the pinch, but I've liked Gallagher's season so far).

They’re all woefully out of form but they’re not on their own. We’re playing a ruck who can’t really ruck, two key forwards who can’t kick goals and might have about $3m in cap tied up in them soon. If we add the $3m or so that Daniel, Macrae, Dale, Williams, Harmes and Lobb are taking then that’s a hell of a lot of salary for nowhere near enough output. Unless we see form turnarounds from most of these players then the list management will be under a microscope and rightly so.

Vandermeer should be out, and probably one of Daniel/Macrae but that might be it. JOD in if he’s fit, maybe Williams out. I’d also be tempted to drop Naughton or JUH to make a statement but we know that’s not happening. They’re not playing terribly in open play, but 10 goals between them in four games given the teams we’ve played is unacceptable. Darcy is showing them up by being able to kick straight, and he’s a young ruck.

We’re way off it. Bont and Libba played like gods, Treloar backed them up incredibly well and Jones was outstanding in the backline. Still lost to Geelong, again.

When we get games like that from our best players then if we were a good team we should put the opponent to the sword. We don’t, because we’re not particularly well coached and not enough of our players stand up when needed.

Out: English Dale Daniel Williams

In: Lobb Freijah Garcia Harmes

They have no 2MP nor any realy KPF to worry about JOD this week, Sick to death of English and his putrid efforts, Dale/Daniel/Williams have all gone backwards over the last 2 years and need to be replaced
On form alone yes to all.

The other one not mentioned but yet again we see Naughts having little impact forward in a big game. The argument he takes players from JUH was exposed as a fallacy with Darcy with 3 as well as the marking contest of Weightman.

I know it won't happen but would like to see Naughts at CHB for a decent stint and bring Clarke as a genuine small forward into to forward mix

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This week will test the integrity of selection.

hope Daniel is not the lone scapegoat this week

Dale has been putrid, should at least be relegated to the bench

those 2 missed 10 metre sideways kicks are enough to drop Duryea given he's old and only an average player at best now

Gags has been great and id be loathed to drop him but you cant allow that play on from the deliberate out of bounds (absolute amateur hour stuff), plus the 50m penalty, 1 week in the VFL to as a reminder to sharpen his concentration. good sides/structures make sure these errors dont become a pattern.

Wouldn't be rushing JOD back in especially against an impotent Essendon forward line.
Out: Williams, Daniel
In: Garcia, Clarke

Harmes to take Macreas place as Sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JOD has his place long-term in this side along with Jones and Khamis, but no need for this week yet again. Essendon have very few tall forwards, and the ones they do have should be able to be mitigated by the two boys. Longer term he comes in for Duryea or Bramble, who are now locked in a selection battle for the shutdown small. We already have Richards and Johannisen providing some run, and hopefully Dale gets his wheels going soon.

No one coming back from injury, so no changes on that front.

I would genuinely consider going in unchanged, but just mixing up the sub.

Options for me would be Daniel, Sanders or Dale. If it is Dale, Williams goes back where he has been solid this season.

I think the 23 we have now (excluding Coffield and Baz) are the best 23 we have on the list for our structure, so I wouldn’t be messing with it too much.

FB Bramble, Jones, Duryea
HB Richards, Khamis, Johannisen
C Williams, Bontempelli, Baker
HF Gallagher, Naughton, Macrae
FF West, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman
FOL English, Liberatore, Treloar
INT Dale, Daniel, Darcy, Vandermeer
SUB Sanders

Talking about how turnovers all season. He is part of the reason why teams transition easily from our forward 50. I.e bombing it in to a 1 v 3.
Absolutely incorrect. VDM is our best pressure fwd. Covers the ground best and internally the coaches value him a lot more than most supporters.
VDM has never been omitted.

Reading between the lines, I suspect we won't make many changes this week.

Out: Daniel
In: Garcia

One of the under-performing half-back flankers to be the sub.

The coach / match committee seem to have been correct by placing the heat on Macrae and Daniel. I love them both and was questioning why they were under pressure at the start of the season, but it’s been proved to be correct.
They both need to reinvent a role for themselves in the VFL or wait for one of the front line mids to be managed or injured.

Speed and aggression is more valued than accumulation of possessions.

With that said:

Out: Daniel, Macrae, Dale
In: Garcia, Harmes, JOD

Dale needs a wake up call in the VFL for a couple of weeks to sharpen him up. He will get back in.

Garcia and Harmes have got a bit of an aggressive edge to them, which we need.

Not too fussed on who is the sub.

Interesting that Essendon don’t have great talls particularly with 2MP out but what they are doing is playing a ruck forward.

This isn’t really working for them but looking at our defensive height this an option for them:

Ie Harrison Jones (196) and Goldstein (200) and then mediums Stringer (192) and the best one of them Langford (192)

We don’t match up that well on these and other than Goldy they try and use their speed. For Geelong Cameron was really off the leash and needed a JOD to play in him. Keath is better defensively but not sure he could keep up. JOD just moved beautifully for a big fella.

Would make sense to pick JOD (to play on Jones) or Keath (to play on Goldy) to add to the mix. Or roll the dice and play Darcy on Goldy and ti take intercepts and bring Lobb back? All part of Darcy’s development.

The other advantage of a taller player is it allows Jones more freedom to attack - kind of like Barrass/McGovern.

We don’t really do match ups anymore but to prevent miss matches:

Harrison - JOD
Goldy - Jones
Stringer - Khamis
Langford - Red

Are people unhappy that English only managed 19 hits to advantage last night? For reference, Stanley and Blicavs managed 14 between them.

Or unhappy that he was only the 5th highest rated player on the ground?

Or was that he led the game for score launches with 4?

Definitely a top candidate for omission!

Interesting that Essendon don’t have great talls particularly with 2MP out but what they are doing is playing a ruck forward.

This isn’t really working for them but looking at our defensive height this an option for them:

Ie Harrison Jones (196) and Goldstein (200) and then mediums Stringer (192) and the best one of them Langford (192)

We don’t match up that well on these and other than Goldy they try and use their speed. For Geelong Cameron was really off the leash and needed a JOD to play in him. Keath is better defensively but not sure he could keep up. JOD just moved beautifully for a big fella.

Would make sense to pick JOD (to play on Jones) or Keath (to play on Goldy) to add to the mix. Or roll the dice and play Darcy on Goldy and ti take intercepts and bring Lobb back? All part of Darcy’s development.

The other advantage of a taller player is it allows Jones more freedom to attack - kind of like Barrass/McGovern.

We don’t really do match ups anymore but to prevent miss matches:

Harrison - JOD
Goldy - Jones
Stringer - Khamis
Langford - Red
I’d have Khamis on Langford given he plays as their pseudo full forward. Buku is a weak tackler and Stringer would brush him off with ease once the ball hits the deck.

Are people unhappy that English only managed 19 hits to advantage last night? For reference, Stanley and Blicavs managed 14 between them.

Or unhappy that he was only the 5th highest rated player on the ground?

Or was that he led the game for score launches with 4?

Definitely a top candidate for omission!
The problem with English is and always has been his lack of muscle and power.

Rhys Stanley was the most influential player on the ground. Even if he doesn't win the hit out, he's affecting English's(and Darcy's) hitouts, and physically imposing himself at the stoppages. Nankervis for Richmond set the benchmark for how influential a strong, physical ruckman can be in the modern game, but Beveridge has never liked playing them himself.

English is an excellent tall roaming utility. He could probably make it as a midfield or a wingman, or as a second ruck who roams around the ground. Put him against a meat tank in the stoppages most of the game and there will be problems. Same happened in the Grand Final 2021, same happened in the elimination final against GWS in 2019, it's a persistent problem when you lack muscle.

Anyone else ask themselves why 2021 went so well when 2020, 2022 and 2023 were so mediocre? Might have something to do with having a fit, strong Stefan Martin taking the #1 ruck handle for the first half of the season.

The coach / match committee seem to have been correct by placing the heat on Macrae and Daniel. I love them both and was questioning why they were under pressure at the start of the season, but it’s been proved to be correct.
They both need to reinvent a role for themselves in the VFL or wait for one of the front line mids to be managed or injured.

Speed and aggression is more valued than accumulation of possessions.

With that said:

Out: Daniel, Macrae, Dale
In: Garcia, Harmes, JOD

Dale needs a wake up call in the VFL for a couple of weeks to sharpen him up. He will get back in.

Garcia and Harmes have got a bit of an aggressive edge to them, which we need.

Not too fussed on who is the sub.
Although people say JOD is long term , the sooner he is in the better for the team long term. We should reward Harmes and Garcia for their VFL form too. Agree with your sentiments

Id love to see Dale on a wing but they havent put time into that in the preseason, so I guess its not happening.

How about Cody to the wing - last time I suggested it he kick 6 straight as a forward, so that seems silly, however, a decent wing is going to improve our scoring ability, and I dont doubt hed be good for a goal or 2 from the wing anyway. They have been trialling him in the midfield, and he even attended a CB or two last night, so there is a precedent.

out: baker, daniel
in: garcia, clarke

Last edited:
Out: Dale, Macrae, Daniel’s, English, VDM

In: Cleary, Harms, Garcia, Lobb, Clarke

If selection committee has any integrity you drop our worst and replace them with the VFL best.

Cleary to replace Dale off halfback.
Clarke in for VDM
2 mids for 2 mids
Lobb for English, him and Darcy to do 50/50 ruck work.

I doubt our committee has that level of integrity tho

Remove this Banner Ad

Back