Preview Changes V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's face it

McHenry will play and be in the 22. Cook will be relegated to sub.

And Borlase for Butts, no chance Curtin plays.

Why would we even bother getting our hopes up? Surely into the fifth season of selections we aren't hanging out for moves BigFooty recommends

We'll need another four losses before Nicks listens to us on those ones

Of course McHenry won’t be dropped. We won the game irrespective of his output.

Any changes will only be the ones forced - Butts and Crouch.

And those thinking that Nicks would bring in Dowling and Curtin at the same time. Really? Have you been following this side under his control long.

listening to Ned on 5aa last night, it’s clear he’s playing a role for the team and it’s all about “keeping the shape”. He’s running and running and contesting when the ball is there (which clearly isn’t very often). Not sure he’ll be dropped based on that. I suspect Murphy was the shape keeper until he got injured. Ned mentioned that other teams have this role too - did anyone hear the convo?

What about the returning afl players?
What about the juniors about to be drafted?

If they are playing in the SANFL - the majority aint that good.
“They are not very good IMO but it won’t watch the games” yeah ok

I know that some of the best players in the SANFL were pretty bad AFL players - James Rowe, Wigg, Battersby, etc.

If they are the best - what are the dregs of the SANFL like?

You said they were bad players, so the VFL has more AFL listed bad players then….

This is a terrible take. You are better than that.

VFL has 21 teams. Of those 21 teams - 14 have AFL listed players playing every week. SANFL has 10 teams only 2 have access to AFL quality players.
The 2023 SANFL GF was s**t, how about the 2022 watch that one?

I missed it. Don't watch too much SANFL - its a rather poor competition.

What did you think of the 2022 AFL grand final?

Geelong was damn good.

It’s clear you’re passing judgement on a league and standard you don’t watch, it’s rather odd then you think you’re in a position to say it’s not good football.

I used to watch it. Then the standard was too low so I stopped. Judging by the TV rights and attendance I am not the only one.

Anyway its a changes thread, don’t think there’s more I can do to change your ignorant ill informed stubborn opinion ;)

You have to stop doing this. You can't bring up a whole bunch of counter points and then pretend to walk away.

listening to Ned on 5aa last night, it’s clear he’s playing a role for the team and it’s all about “keeping the shape”. He’s running and running and contesting when the ball is there (which clearly isn’t very often). Not sure he’ll be dropped based on that. I suspect Murphy was the shape keeper until he got injured. Ned mentioned that other teams have this role too - did anyone hear the convo?
Other teams players in that role actually tackle and are able to hit their team mates by foot.
Ours suck.

You fell for that? I’m sure his role doesn’t include not getting the ball, he’s around enough contests if he was good enough he would.

Then there’s the dropped goal square mark, missed goal, grubber kick and shank D50 kick?

He cost the equivalent of 4 goals

If they are playing in the SANFL - the majority aint that good.

I know that some of the best players in the SANFL were pretty bad AFL players - James Rowe, Wigg, Battersby, etc.

If they are the best - what are the dregs of the SANFL like?

This is a terrible take. You are better than that.

VFL has 21 teams. Of those 21 teams - 14 have AFL listed players playing every week. SANFL has 10 teams only 2 have access to AFL quality players.

I missed it. Don't watch too much SANFL - its a rather poor competition.

Geelong was damn good.

I used to watch it. Then the standard was too low so I stopped. Judging by the TV rights and attendance I am not the only one.

You have to stop doing this. You can't bring up a whole bunch of counter points and then pretend to walk away.
Because this will never end otherwise and it’s the changes thread.

You don’t watch the SANFL and despite that think it’s a poor league. I watch some of it, go to some games and think the standard is at a level that’s enjoyable to watch. Plus it’s a great day out without all the AFL bullshit.

Honest question - how many other teams do you think actually use a "shape keeper".

Can you name them. Its pretty obvious we have two - but who are the leagues other shapekeepers?

Because this will never end otherwise and it’s the changes thread.

Good stuff - but then you Gotta follow on...

You don’t watch the SANFL and despite that think it’s a poor league. I watch some of it, go to some games and think the standard is at a level that’s enjoyable to watch. Plus it’s a great day out without all the AFL bullshit.

The key point is - I did watch it. Then it was a pretty piss poor standard so I stopped. Has it gotten better?

And good for you watching it. You and your 2,000 buddies. The rest of the world thinks its pretty poor standard and doesn't watch.

What does 'keeping the shape' even mean? Mchenry was awful last week and should not be any where near the AFL team this week.

If we are going to have someone play a pressure type role to 'keep the shape' then at least find someone that has some football ability and who can kick straight.

I've said this plenty of times. There are a lot of 'visibles' available to us which point to McHenry being completely hopeless. Not great when he's on the ball, DE not great, marking under pressure not great, set shot on goal not great. But his manic pressure/pressure acts DO assist with keeping shape and holding defenders to account, particularly with the opposition leaving their D50. The question is not whether McHenry is good enough, it's whether another person is good enough to replace him. If McHenry is gobbling up space and running 16km a game, and is constantly cutting off short options to the opposition, and that is the role that's being asked of him, then you could say he's achieving that. There might not be a player on our list who can perform those specific repeat gut running efforts, with correct positioning, that are backed up by GPS.

He's completely right in that other teams have their roleplayers too. Liam Baker comes to mind from Richmond, but he just does it all far better.

Coincidentally out of contract this year...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Baker is quality

McHenry is closer to Kayne Turner

Code for 'please don't drop me'.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What does 'keeping the shape' even mean? Mchenry was awful last week and should not be any where near the AFL team this week.

If we are going to have someone play a pressure type role to 'keep the shape' then at least find someone that has some football ability and who can kick straight.
Dragging his opponent to were they want him to be, that's provided they think McHenry is even dangerous to follow him.......

He's a Cinderella Player... runs away from the ball boomtish

So we have to be like sheep and follow, can’t think outside the square

Which deadset average player for Essendon will we make look like a superstar this time?

Menzie is out
Guelfi is out
Nick Hind turned into peak McLeod against us a couple of years ago
Dylan Shiel to wind back the clock?
Jake Kelly even kicked a goal against us last time

I'm going to go with Ben McKay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back