Unofficial Preview Changes v Brisbane (out: Moore, Brown, Daicos; in: JDG, Aish, Ox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Teams who score the most points against their opponents tend to win so I'm told....its something like 100% of the time;)
Unless you’re Melbourne Storm v Parramatta in an NRL grand final

And I’m
Still sour about it. Was there too :)

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brown was terrible against the Swans but I felt he was solid against the Tigers. Still, we’re a stronger side this week for the change.

Was ok but not great against the Tigers....make some shocking errors. Was totally out of place v Swans. I doubt he'll be back this season after that game.

Agree. IMO Phillips is actually the guy who needs to lift.

Couldn't agree more. The week after Flipper received media accolades was the start of the downward spiral to sh**ness. With a more healthy side he'd be in the 2s finding form; unfortunately we don't have that luxury which isn't helping team or player.

It's like his confidence is shot so he fumbles when under any sort of pressure.

Dimensions: "

MCG - 161m - 138m

Gabba - 156m - 138m

Etihad Stadium - 160m - 129m
Conditions are to be factored in also.
A wet day is different at the MCG compared to emptyhead.
Similarly, a dry day at the MCG is different to a dry day at the Gabba.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Garry Lyon (who at times actually thinks about things) says that JDG is one of those rare footballers, like Dusty Martin, who are best utilised in a 50/50 role between Midfield and Forward

1. I dont give a flying fig what Garry Lyon thinks
2. That said, Garry Lyon is probably right
3. I was only really commenting on this game as to where JDG should play and not looking beyond that. Given hes fresh off injury and Stevo and WHE look tired, he should spend more time than usual forward.
4 I dont really give a flying fig what Garry Lyon thinks!!!!

3. I was only really commenting on this game as to where JDG should play and not looking beyond that. Given hes fresh off injury and Stevo and WHE look tired, he should spend more time than usual forward.
But did you factor in Garry Lyon’s comments?

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
So, what do you think about what Garry Lyon says?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have to remember Phillips was pretty much a fringe type player at the start of the year, had a purple patch when we had a full strength mid field where he was left alone a little. He does need to step up but his progress this year has been handy.

I always like to give new guys latitude but he's into his 3rd year, and that's off the back of an extra year at TAC level (similar to Langdon) unless I'm mistaken, and I'm growing concerned that we're not seeing changes in those negative aspects of his game or improved consistency. That purple patch aside, since the QB game we're seeing way too much of the negative aspects (fumbles, poor disposal, poor contested footy, biting off more than he can chew).

Hopefully it's due to some underlying issue we're not aware of and he'll put in more of those purple patch performances. My worry is that even during the purple patch he was still making those mistakes, it was just that he was racking up massive disposal numbers, meters gained, and hitting the scoreboard. You can forgive the negatives if you get that level of positive contribution.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I always like to give new guys latitude but he's into his 3rd year, and that's off the back of an extra year at TAC level (similar to Langdon) unless I'm mistaken, and I'm growing concerned that we're not seeing changes in those negative aspects of his game or improved consistency. That purple patch aside, since the QB game we're seeing way too much of the negative aspects (fumbles, poor disposal, poor contested footy, biting off more than he can chew).

Hopefully it's due to some underlying issue we're not aware of and he'll put in more of those purple patch performances. My worry is that even during the purple patch he was still making those mistakes, it was just that he was racking up massive disposal numbers, meters gained, and hitting the scoreboard. You can forgive the negatives if you get that level of positive contribution.

Look, I think Phillips is the sort of player that is going to be a terrific player in a good team, but is going to struggle in a poor team. His form tends to mirror that of the side.

He isn't really the sort of player that performs when others are down.

I don't have a big issue with that. Ultimately, when we were playing well, he was a very very good player. Real cream on the cake given workrate and running capacity.

If he's your last midfielder or 20th-22nd player on the list, then you've got a bloody good side.

To go next level, he definitely needs to clean up his game and deal with the heat a bit better. He probably needs to get his hands a bit dirtier.

But very satisfied with his year to date and think he is a pretty important part of our team at full flight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
Originally I was nervous about this game at the start of the week. Then I thought about it for more than 30 seconds and I see a comfortable victory. Which is good because a little bit of percentage would be nice about now.

Buckley won't let Zorko have anywhere near as much free time as he did last time, no chance that squib Lewis Taylor plays anywhere near as well either.

Pies by 13 goals.

Originally I was nervous about this game at the start of the week. Then I thought about it for more than 30 seconds and I see a comfortable victory. Which is good because a little bit of percentage would be nice about now.

Buckley won't let Zorko have anywhere near as much free time as he did last time, no chance that squib Lewis Taylor plays anywhere near as well either.

Pies by 13 goals.
This would make me happy.

cleomenes

Cancelled
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
To me, De Goey looks a 100 goal full forward. The odd run up the ground is a bonus, but his ability to score goals in every circumstance (marks, crumbs etc) and to get the ball and get clear under real pressure on the forward line is what is really exceptional. He is a bit like Dunstall.

To me, De Goey looks a 100 goal full forward. The odd run up the ground is a bonus, but his ability to score goals in every circumstance (marks, crumbs etc) and to get the ball and get clear under real pressure on the forward line is what is really exceptional. He is a bit like Dunstall.

I think the days of 100 Goals a Season Forwards are Over

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
The key for me is tagging zorko. Greenwood must get this job.

The Lions tall forwards worry me, but they are young and don't 'dominate'. They bob up for goals. Hipwood can get on a roll, but isn't a high possession winner.

I think with such a weak defence, we are going to expect a few goals from their talls. But we should kick enough the other way. Need to stop Zorko. Beams head to head with Adams.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Couldn't agree more. The week after Flipper received media accolades was the start of the downward spiral to sh**ness. With a more healthy side he'd be in the 2s finding form; unfortunately we don't have that luxury which isn't helping team or player.

It's like his confidence is shot so he fumbles when under any sort of pressure.

Those fumbles drive me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back