Preview Changes v Brisbane (the ol' 'home' game in Queensland)

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess if Jones still has something to offer beyond being an inside mid it would be around the forward 50 where he has shown he can be effective, hopefully he goes well

Jones is an absolutely ridiculous selection. TMac or Tomlinson for mine. Honestly, it's like 1 step forward, 2 steps back with our team selection. Jones is a great bloke and clubman, but he is not best 22 and should have retired.

Only out I'd give them is perhaps the forecasted rain played part in the decision, it better bloody rain tho.

Not sure what Jones coming in is meant to accomplish but I’ll wait and see.
200 loses is about all he'll accomplish. can he still make 300 if we make the GF? maybe 2 wins in a row has this ******* idiot coaching us thinking of a fairytale finish

Don't understand the hate for the Jones selection. AVB hasn't been playing tall and it's a big, experienced body for another. Might be a wet game and we need a bit of experience around the forward line. Jones was good in the scratch matches playing half forward.
And tbh AVB hasn't set the world on fire. Bring in a winger that is best 22. That is either Tomlinson (hard done by, was playing ok - crikey drop Brayshaw if you want a whipping boy) or Tmac. Goody said he would play the best team every week, Jones is not in our best team.

He’d want to have a good game to say the least. Can’t see all four of Jones, Melk, Jetta and Hibberd (to be fair who’s having a genuinely great season since he came back) Playing too many games together if we’re going to make finals, but happy to be proven wrong this weekend.

Jones selection is weird seeing as we already have one slow idiot taking up space on the wing but who knows, maybe they dropped him due to his poor efforts at kicking and this might bring about a change from him.

I heard Jones was dropped due to Bennell's poor defensive game.

Jones gets the same chance Jetta and Hibberd got to redeem themselves after being dropped. Hibberd has done remarkably well at turning his form around, especially given his brothers tragic passing earlier in the year. Nev has been solid since coming back, still seems to be working into it. Jones gets a game or two as well. It's great to have a fit list with competition for spots. Jones shouldn't have played against Carlton as it seems his body wasn't 100%. He doesn't need to get 25 touches, just needs to use the ball well and impact the contest when the ball is in his area. Hopefully he can focus on his ball use and bring some leadership to the forward line. Goody has shown this year he isn't afraid to drop/leave out senior players so the ball is in Jones' court.

Jones gets the same chance Jetta and Hibberd got to redeem themselves after being dropped. Hibberd has done remarkably well at turning his form around, especially given his brothers tragic passing earlier in the year. Nev has been solid since coming back, still seems to be working into it. Jones gets a game or two as well. It's great to have a fit list with competition for spots. Jones shouldn't have played against Carlton as it seems his body wasn't 100%. He doesn't need to get 25 touches, just needs to use the ball well and impact the contest when the ball is in his area. Hopefully he can focus on his ball use and bring some leadership to the forward line. Goody has shown this year he isn't afraid to drop/leave out senior players so the ball is in Jones' court.

good call, Jones just can’t help himself and want to play on one leg.

he was good against the crows in the pre season.

I’m confident he will surprise a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones is an absolutely ridiculous selection. TMac or Tomlinson for mine. Honestly, it's like 1 step forward, 2 steps back with our team selection. Jones is a great bloke and clubman, but he is not best 22 and should have retired.
Agreed. TMac or Tomlinson would have given us options. TMac could have gone back if needed or forward or play as a tall wing that we can target coming out of defence. Prove me wrong Chunk..

i hope the inclusion of Jones isn't going to bring undone the pressure that's been present in our forward half the last couple of weeks. that pressure has allowed Gawn to set up for the intercept and our defenders to get on top. i can maybe see the Lions trying to switch the ball around the back half to try bypass Gawn down the line, and could try to exploit Jones lack of pace by looking to go quickly through his man. Vanders for all his faults defends hard and pressures the ball carrier, but Jones not so much. last time we had Jones and Bennell together across half forward we were lucky not to get rolled by the Blues. Jones really struggled to keep his feet and run out that game so i'm a bit worried by his selection again.

Don't understand the hate for the Jones selection. AVB hasn't been playing tall and it's a big, experienced body for another. Might be a wet game and we need a bit of experience around the forward line. Jones was good in the scratch matches playing half forward.
He's been utterly useless in every situation that didn't involve him running in a straight line. He was playing like very short ruck.

He's been utterly useless in every situation that didn't involve him running in a straight line. He was playing like very short ruck.

You say that like it's a bad thing when really you should be thanking Goodwin for imparting the most important learning of all - the invention of exciting new positions.

The short ruck. The shuck, if you will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back