Preview Changes v Bulldogs - Rd 8 - Saturday 7:10pm May 15 @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

fingers crossed it's just 2 games for lycett. jon ralph reckons 3. ken graciously conceded ground in presser - "scott will takes what comes", etc.

in his defence, drew was possibly partly to blame for severity of impact. it wasn't malicious, but he pushed mchenry, at the same time as the start of lycett's sling. he might have added some momentum to the rotation of the tackle.

houston was clearly one hip and shoulder away from aggravating his shoulder injury, that fogarty duly delivered. hard to see that he gets patched up again for the bulldogs.

looking forward to the ladhams v hayes debate & outcome. i reckon selectors will go ladhams, but may surprise.

bonner most likely if houston out.

hope it's not slippery again - different skill set / tactics needed compared to most day games. good tactical adjustment v crows - seemed to kick longer after half-time. bulldogs will be bigger test though.

Bonner has played well 2 games back now after looking very promising to start the season. I’m very keen to see him in the side.

Hayes has been in amazing form, ladhams has been in good form the last two weeks.

I don’t think there’s a wrong choice between ladhams and Hayes, but I think getting a game into Hayes now would be very good, and he’s a better 1st choice ruck.

Ideally I would get both into the side but I’m not dropping one of our key forwards so realistically don’t think it’s a chance.

There might be 2 forced changes, and I think Frederick might go back to sanfl for a full game but I’m unsure who I would bring up and who to make the sub.

I hope to see Hayes come in. Ladhams isn't 1st Ruck yet and it's time to give Hayes a shot. I think he comes in over Ladhams. And if he plays well, he might even give Lycett a longer rest.

About our form. I forget that this season we have gone back to a full season and regulation time. We aren't playing our manic defensive pressure. They get by on talent but win the ones that they need to. We weren't good enough to play with nothing more then 100% commitment and win games. Now our defense can cover for us and our attack can often get on top of the opposition. I think we will be playing better at the pointy end of the year. We have the depth to get us there. Richmond have done this for years. Underwhelming wins but close enough to strike late in the year. I feel we are firing on 2 cylinders.

They have to try Hayes now, otherwise just let him go to another club. No way Ladhams deserves selection ahead of him.
The problem is that Ladhams has played 2 fantastic SANFL games in a row.

This is the absolute perfect chance to introduce Hayes. Short 3 game stint at the top level. However Ladhams form, and the concerns around Hayes tank playing a full game at AFL level are probably going to see us go conservative and select Ladhams.

Media already campaigning for Slyce to get 4 weeks. He won't play until after the bye.
Hows the b***hurt from Crows fans. One of their boys cops a hard tackle and they're crying all over the place sending threats and all sorts.

Classic lynch-mob s**t.

The tackle was technically incorrect and against the rules and he will cop his suspension, but geez it was just a hard tackle. It wasn't malicious. The s**t he's copping over this and the trial by media is pure insanity.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far, without Butters and Duursma, we have won 3 of 4 games. The Bulldogs, Collingwood and Geelong will pose new challenges. As much as we will miss Lycett, if we can win two of these three games (preferably all 3!) while blooding Hayes, it will serve us well going into the back half of the year.

I don't trust Ladhams as a first ruck - simple as that.

So far, without Butters and Duursma, we have won 3 of 4 games. The Bulldogs, Collingwood and Geelong will pose new challenges. As much as we will miss Lycett, if we can win two of these three games (preferably all 3!) while blooding Hayes, it will serve us well going into the back half of the year.

Collingwood?

Dogs and Geelong are challenges. The others in Freo and Collingwood should be beaten if we are serious. Collingwood have absolutely lost their way. They're not as bad as they are playing, but we should beat a side like them.

We have 5 weeks till Geeling though. With the bye in there. Would have a lot of players back in by then. Get to 8-3 or 9-2 and we're in a great spot for the back half of the year.

Last edited:
Collingwood?

Dogs and Geelong are challenges. The others in Freo and Collingwood should be beaten if we are serious. Collingwood have absolutely lost their way. They're not as bad as they are playing, but we should beat a side like them. Freo away always tough, but again we should put them away.

We have 5 weeks till Geeling though. With the bye in there. Would have a lot of players back in by then. Get to 8-3 or 9-2 and we're in a great spot for the back half of the year.
Yeah - missed the Freo game, which I thought was at home anyway. Collingwood are a challenge in as much as we face Grundy without Lycett. Clearly we should win, but nothing should be taken for granted.

Getting to finals with an exhausted ruckman is another Hinkley special. Lycett having a 3 week rest isn’t worst thing for our season as a whole.

Hows the b***hurt from Crows fans. One of their boys cops a hard tackle and they're crying all over the place sending threats and all sorts.

Classic lynch-mob sh*t.

The tackle was technically incorrect and against the rules and he will cop his suspension, but geez it was just a hard tackle. It wasn't malicious. The sh*t he's copping over this and the trial by media is pure insanity.
Yep I was stupid enough to think we might be past this s**t.

If you watch it it's a tough tackle in a very fast moving game in a pack of players. Everyone is bringing everyone to ground on both sides.

It needs weeks because he didn't protect the head, but the idea it was malicious is ridiculous.

The problem is that Ladhams has played 2 fantastic SANFL games in a row.

This is the absolute perfect chance to introduce Hayes. Short 3 game stint at the top level. However Ladhams form, and the concerns around Hayes tank playing a full game at AFL level are probably going to see us go conservative and select Ladhams.

Our first priority is to win the centre clearances and keep the ball as far away from Bonts as is humanly possible. Rotations are an issue but they are not the highest concern because chasing bulldog players all night is going to be pretty taxing on players if we don’t control centre bounces anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back