Preview Changes v Bulldogs - Rd 8 - Saturday 7:10pm May 15 @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

The known quantity of Ladhams is that he got brought to cover marshall who got pulled late against richmond and was one of richmonds better players.

That's his known quantity right now.
Not saying I agree, but that is clearly the basis of the decision in what is seen as a match up against potential GF opponents.

Ladhams on form is far from the spud some are suggesting here.

Ladhams should help with the aerial battle around the ground (even if he drops the marks as per recent form) where we have a definite advantage over the Dogs.

Problem will be keeping the ball out of the Dogs hands and putting enough pressure on the ball carrier to make inside 50s easier to defend as we're probably better than the Dogs in the air (all over the ground) and on the ground in the back half.

I reckon our best centre bounce combination (Boak, Wines, Drew, Amon wing) plus Gray pinch-hitting will be able to go toe to toe at CBs if Ladhams is competitive but they have way too much midfield depth (especially with Houston, Butters and Duursma out) for stoppages around the ground so we should probably plan for long periods of our defenders holding them at bay and scoring as much as we can and hopefully we get a few small periods of midfield advantage.

We could go ok, but a lot will depend on our midfield defensively making sure the back half isn't overwhelmed.

The way the last few posts are going, has Kenny had his post selection presser where he drops some hints re selection?

I think this is a poor selection. I won't melt but I'm very disappointed. Hayes has been playing as first ruck all year and could not have done much more to impress. We've missed an opportunity here - if he gets fed up with the club, I would understand. One thing to be not selected because Lycett has been playing well, but another to be selected behind a player who has shown repeatedly that he is a poor tap ruckman, whatever else he might offer around the ground. Ladhams will need to play very well to convince me otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sense that Ladhams has been picked as the "extra mid" which is his obvious strength. I would rather have seen Hayes, but I am on board with Ladhams now. Lets get it done.

I remember a game at the GABAA when Ladhams tore it up, looked like a 2m midfielder.

Needs to step up - and can play with extra skills through the middle.

Ken was never going to throw Hayes in this game, generally goes back to the well.

FWIW i would like to have seen Hayes in the first team and see what hes got however 6 months is a long time in football. Back in November I think this whole board scoffed at the idea of giving up Ladhams for Allir, now without a established ruckman we are up in arms that Ladhams has been brought into the side on the back of decent form....

I guess the issue is that along with perceived attitude problems, Ladhams does the things he's not expected to do (ground ball gets, link up in possession chains, evade tacklers etc) exceptionally well, and does the things he's expected to do (contested marks, hitouts, make a contest) poorly. Hopefully knowing that this is almost a make or break time for him at port, and with Hayes putting pressure on in the reserves, Pistol can at least give a decent contest in the things required of a ruckman, then continue to do those other things he does well. However if i see him continue to get pushed off the ball at a boundary throw in by a non-recognised ruck, or fail to even give an effort in a 2 on 1 marking contest again then I'll be fuming.

it was always going to be a tough call Ladhams v Hayes. Both have been in good form at SANFL level. I thought doggies without Martin would've been the perfect time to debut Hayes but i'm also fine with Ladhams too. It was a 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.

Ladhams would need to perform or else he is out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back