Preview Changes v Bulldogs - Rd 8 - Saturday 7:10pm May 15 @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladhams is the safe option since he's been exposed at AFL level and has a bigger tank.

The question I have is, is the safe option good enough with his ruck work to get us the result?
I think he's the dangerous option.

The biggest danger is that if they get hit outs to advantage their mids will kill us and we are never in it like the WCE game.

Hayes would at least get first hand to the ball much moreso than Ladhams.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ladhams and Jordon Sweet used to be team mates for SA U18s when they won it that year with Luko and co. It will be a tight contest in ruck.
(And they were both Port supporters growing up)

Sam Hayes is the most patient man in Port Adelaide history
Hayes is playing his 4th season and in between time had an ACL operation and a Covid affected season. Toby Thurstans didn't get a game until the start of his 5th season.

Last edited:
Am I echoing others thoughts here if I'm saying I really hope Ladhams earned this spot and it wasn't just purely given to him because of matchups (I don't get this argument tbh, i.e. picking Ladhams because Bulldogs have a bad ruck?) or seniority.

Like if in training for this week, Ladhams was beating Hayes in the practices and ruck battles, I'd have no issue with.

Am I echoing others thoughts here if I'm saying I really hope Ladhams earned this spot and it wasn't just purely given to him because of matchups (I don't get this argument tbh, i.e. picking Ladhams because Bulldogs have a bad ruck?) or seniority.

Like if in training for this week, Ladhams was beating Hayes in the practices and ruck battles, I'd have no issue with.
The big thing going against Hayes was that Ladhams has played a couple rippers in a row. On form it was always going to be hard to keep Ladhams out. From a list and squad development angle, we should've gotten the games into Hayes. 4 games would've been a perfect stint for him to learn a heap ahead of a big preseason and crack at the #1 spot next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These stats really mean nothing. The game I watched against the Lins, it looked like every time they went into our i50, they would either kick a point of goal with ease. Same with WCE game. I don’t know how these stats are interpolated

Brisbane scored from 55% of their inside 50s against us, so either a point or goal every second time they went in... which is pretty high.

West Coast a bit less at 49%

So yeah probably felt like nearly every time they went in...because it pretty much was

What a weak decision by the match committee. Why would you pick A bloke as number 1 ruck who can’t play number 1 ruck. Bizarre, pick the best player for the position and that is Hayes

basically says they aren’t that confident in Hayes, there is no way ladhams deserves to be picked as ruckman ahead Of hayes.

hope our selections dont cost us.

piss weak Ken

Im ok with Ladhams in. For a start, at least we no longer have to rely on Jackson Trengove as 1st ruck.

I would have loved to see Hayes, but have a feeling they want him to slow down and find a target when he has the ball instead of hack kicking it forward. He wins a lot of ball out of ruck contests and against good AFL sides, hack kicks forward can lose you games.

Ladhams was poor at the start of the year but was being played mainly forward. He should be ok to compete against Sweet in the ruck and adds a lot around the ball.

For those saying Grundy will destroy Ladhams next week, lets just worry about this week against #2 on the ladder. We really should be able to find away past Collingwood even if we do lose the ruck battle.

Bulldogs have the midfield in the comp, if we get smacked in the ruck we are in big trouble.

With English and Martin out not picking Hayes is a missed opportunity. Hayes is a far better centre square ruck than Ladhams, we could have done with that against the dogs.

If we can win the centre square clearances and get it into Dixon, Marshall and MG fast that goes a very long way to us winning.

officially

In: Bonner, Ladhams

Out: Frederick, Houston, Lycett

The emergencies include last week’s medical substitute Martin Frederick along with Sam Mayes, defender Trent McKenzie and ruckman Sam Hayes. The medical substitute will be named from that group of players an hour prior to Saturday night’s first bounce.

PETER LADHAMS has been called upon to fill the void of suspended ruckman Scott Lycett for Port Adelaide’s blockbuster clash with the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night. Ladhams played the first four games of the season and has built some impressive SANFL form since his last AFL game in the win over Richmond in Round 4.

Backman Dan Houston has also been omitted after reaggravating an AC joint injury from earlier in the year.

Riley Bonner will replace Houston in the side after two impressive SANFL performances since his return from a hamstring injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back