Unofficial Preview Changes v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine out of twelve in the Age are picking the Bulldogs. We really are on the nose, aren't we.
With our inexperienced team I find it hard to justify picking us too. I think the dogs will have our measure. The selections we've made really put a LOT of pressure on our midfield. If the midfield can't win their battle, and subsequently the inside 50s, we'll get done easily.

Last edited:

It's not so much the 2nd tall, cos ^ your right it's the super high press and the focus on pockets after we've moved along the boundary
into attack. It's like our kick-ins we are soooooo predictable.

Being predictable is not our problem. This is our problem:

With our inexperienced team I find it hard to justify picking us too. I think the dogs will have our measure. The selections we've made really put a LOT of pressure on our midfield. If the midfield can't win their battle, and subsequently the inside 50s we'll get done easily

And it is not this week, but EVERY WEEK.

I would say that is more to do with Morris and JJ back in for us, rather than anything Port has done specifically.
The strange thing about our coaching decisions is that there were plenty of easier games during the year (e.g. Brisbane) where Kenny could have brought in so many young ones yet he waits for a cut throat game right before finals, where so much is on the line to do it. Frustrating when we have been calling for it all year.

Pittard is injured and with Houston already in the side Ken and co decided to go with a similar type.

The alternative was probably Toumpas or Krakouer but maybe they are not seen as having long term futures at Alberton?
Yes, I agree. When I wrote that I didn't know Pittard was injured instead of omitted.

Last edited:
The strange thing about our coaching decisions is that there were plenty of easier games during the year (e.g. Brisbane) where Kenny could have brought in so many young ones yet he waits for a cut throat game right before finals, where so much is on the line to do it. Frustrating when we have been calling for it all year.
Almost like he is setting them to fail (ala Monfries) to justify not bringing them earlier. Very cynical, I know.

I think a lot of teams have made baffling calls on selection at different times during the year but I suspect the showdown loss was when the penny dropped as such. Clearly a fair way off the pace with pretty much the best 22 on offer, so when you put in that performance, it forces changes. While not easy, credit to Ken for having the balls to actually make the changes and not just continue status quo for the rest of the season.

I'm genuinely excited about Bonner getting a game tomorrow. He just projects like an afl player rather than a sanfl player. I think he and AJ are going to be massive wins for that draft year.

On reflection, the changes aren't as shattering as i thought.

Pittard injured - Bonner like for like.

SPP - always coming back for AH Chee or Impey.

Marshall is the only surprise. Exciting but not expecting much tomorrow. Better for structure and development. Maybe they have had a talk with JT.

Anyway. Woot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He out for the rest of the season you reckon?
Gotta hope it's something minor, but I can't see him coming back this year based on his own post.

Lobbe will lead the ruck well in the SANFL finals but we'll miss Frampton's marking around the ground. It'll also mean Ladhams is more likely to make the 17 in finals when I would've personally left him out.

I am with others though the 22 was getting away with too much. I can swallow a loss much easier with this team. But the output from likes of Jarman and co I am not sure we lose much at all.
Exactly. The outs are Pittard, Impey and Ah Chee. The ins are Marshall, Bonner and SPP. So many calling for so long for those three to be axed at various stages. Now it's happened we're worried about upsetting the team before finals? Baffling.

Maybe it gives Kern a chance to say "see, I told you so"

Exactly. The outs are Pittard, Impey and Ah Chee. The ins are Marshall, Bonner and SPP. So many calling for so long for those three to be axed at various stages. Now it's happened we're worried about upsetting the team before finals? Baffling.

There's definitely a lot to like about these Ins, but cmon, the last fortnight has just reinforced how much of a cluster* this season has been. You drop the completely ineffective Impey and end the laughable Jackson experiment at the end of the season? When both things should have been done in Round 3-4? Everyone has the right to be both pissed and baffled.

There's definitely a lot to like about these Ins, but cmon, the last fortnight has just reinforced how much of a cluster**** this season has been. You drop the completely ineffective Impey and end the laughable Jackson experiment at the end of the season? When both things should have been done in Round 3-4? Everyone has the right to be both pissed and baffled.
I agree to an extent but I'm not sure why we should be worried about the changes when we're basically limping to the finals.

As far as talls go we don't actually have any more than we have been playing. (Trengove for Marshall and Hombsch for Howard).
i will wait and see how we structure up.
I do think we were spiralling downward so whether its round 7 or round 22 we needed to change.

They've realised what we need, finally. Taken them 3 seasons to work out what the majority of us have been saying for years...

A genuine tall defender. A genuine 2nd key forward option...unbelievable...
Look I'm sure they long ago realized what we needed, but coaching group is obviously more worried about protecting skinny kids against the big bodies of AFL

Wow..

Definitely looks like someone from above has had a word with Ken after the Showdown regarding his selections. Who would have thought that we would have AJ, Dougal, Marshall and Bonner all in the same side a few weeks ago? (Even if we should have been experimenting with these players in the middle of the season instead of two rounds before finals).

Do people think that we will stick with this team in September? Or will Ken bring back all of his favorites for an elimination final?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back