Changes v Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting discussion so far. Our pessimists say change our style to match the Bulldogs's strengths. Optimists say play to our strengths and keep out tall forwards and back structure.

Not quite in the pessimist bracket :) but we got beaten twice playing unchanged.
We need to throw something different here and see if it works.

Andrews needs to come in. They had a 100% goal per inside 50 ratio for a while there. Ridiculous, and the amount of times they kicked it in and marked (Bloody Hayward) when Andrews would normally be there to punch it away.

Also, something needs to be done with our forward structure. It i getting out of our f50 too easily. Not sure what to do there.

What l would like to see:
In: Andrews, Bailey
Out: Lester, Taylor

What l think will happen:
Unchanged.

Fagan has shown when we win he will reward them by going in unchanged

Interesting discussion so far. Our pessimists say change our style to match the Bulldogs's strengths. Optimists say play to our strengths and keep out tall forwards and back structure.

I definitely think we need to play to counter the opposition while backing our structure. Part of that also means not dropping high performing players because we're worried about the opposition.

Andrews needs to come in. They had a 100% goal per inside 50 ratio for a while there. Ridiculous, and the amount of times they kicked it in and marked (Bloody Hayward) when Andrews would normally be there to punch it away.

Also, something needs to be done with our forward structure. It i getting out of our f50 too easily. Not sure what to do there.

Unchanged.

Lester will go for Andrews. Vice captain will play if fit, will be fresh than rest since he didn't play in wet conditions yesterday. Top closing speed out of all our defenders, from last year's AFL article -

"
Distance kings
1. Hugh McCluggage 14.5km
2. Harris Andrews 14.4
3. Sam Mayes 13.9
McCluggage has spent plenty of time on the wing, and despite being in just his second season, is one of the club's fittest. Andrews pushes up with the zone and all the way back to the last line of defence, covering a heap of territory.
Speedsters
1. Charlie Cameron 34.6km/h
2. Harris Andrews 34.6
3. Dan McStay 33.8
No surprise Cameron tops this list, although perhaps the man alongside him might raise some eyebrows. Not only does Andrews cover more kilometres than most, but his closing speed on opposing forwards is among the best in the league. - Michael Whiting
"

How about him and Fagan saying that he would need to be rested at times during the season?
Yep - same narrative last year but in my view there is nothing about his form or role at the moment that remotely looks like he needs to be managed. Having said that it would never surprise me if he had a week off here and there.

Unchanged.

Mostly it would seem but didn't he drop Basti from a winning team?

Hipwood will surely be fined, no suspension. Careless contact rather than reckless.

I know we won but there are changes that need to be done in my opinion.

Out - Lester, Taylor, Big O
In - Andrews, Bailey, Keays
Totally agree with you. The in's are spot on and we do need to make changes. I must say that when they moved McStay for a run in the ruck he seemed alot more at home in that position. In the first quarter I think he dropped 4 marks so I think they should move him out of that full forward position to let him have more freedom up the ground. It was the best I have seen from him this year. The problem is who is our best option at FF. Ballenden?? Not sure.

I think Answerth has been solid defensively. He has 5 tackles + 19 pressure acts and is in the top 5 for pressure for that game from our team. He managed to hold his own in 1v1s. He almost neutralised that 2v1 with Papley in the 4th (just needed a little bit of midfield help). He made 1 obvious error when he went left Papley which left Papley get an easy 1-2 on the wing and thus get a penetrating F50 in (however he wasnt responsible for the loose checking that let the Swans centre up that pass into a much better straight on shot which caused the goal). He also understands the attacking side of our half back play. He had some 45 degree passes; some down the line passes and engaged in overlap run in the half forward flank when Robinson marked which resulted in a very deep inside 50 stoppage in the pocket (and goal thereafter). He had as many disposals as anyone else in our backline today (not many as most of the game was played locked down in the forward 50).

I like Bailey and his aggression to take on the game with a fend and burst of speed. His return to the NEAFL was good. He managed to do it in parts but also got caught trying to fend as well. Bailey has a whole heap of upside and in a couple of years (providing he can lift his defensive side) he could be a better version of Saad/JJ. I think soem games in the NEAFL to develop his defensive positioning isnt too bad. Only change I would make defensively is Lester for Andrews only because Andrews is the better intercepting tall, Walker is the more inform 2nd tall and Gardiner is the better small of the lot. When Hodge retires I think we should give Lester another year to cement himself as the deepest defender/organiser/general role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back