Strategy Changes v Carltank, Sunday April 21st

Remove this Banner Ad

I just realized Kreuzer is back for Carlton. I don't usually make calls before games, but Carlton has a serious chance of picking up their first win.

English solo rucking is so stupid after the last two weeks. It's like Beveridge thinks we're in rebuild mode, or he's delusional with regard to English's current output.

I just realized Kreuzer is back for Carlton. I don't usually make calls before games, but Carlton has a serious chance of picking up their first win.

English solo rucking is so stupid after the last two weeks. It's like Beveridge thinks we're in rebuild mode, or he's delusional with regard to English's current output.

We are in a rebuild though...did you actually think we were contenders this year? Yikes.

We ARE in rebuild mode. This team is a shadow of the 2016 Premiership team, we are just fortunate to have drafted a good bunch of youngsters to build around. Bevo actually said in his press conference a couple of weeks ago, that 2016 is the past, its all about the future now for the team. Pretty much another way of saying we spent 2017 and 2018 trying to see if we can milk anything more, once we realized it has ran dry, 2019 is now about building towards the future. He doesn't think it, he actually said we are.

We haven’t kicked the first goal in all 4 games, scoured Sportsbet but it appears you can guess the first score, but not the team that gets the first goal.

4 bets* across 4 blues players, so it will either mean we get the first goal or I have a decent chance of making a profit before Carlton are disengromulated

*gamble responsibly

Slightly perplexing really. Two debutants in the side plus Williams who is also fairly inexperienced. English and Smith still running around.

He’s gone all in on the young ones. I suppose there wasn’t a whole lot of experience to draw on in reserve but Trengove and Jong were around and Lipinski has 20 odd games on the newbies.

If we drop this one it’s basically season over. Not too many come back from 2-3. Seems that this season isn’t really the focus but I’d like to keep noticing wins while we develop. Don’t know I’d go so young.

Don't you get sick of repeating yourself?
People repeat the same opinions all the time every day. The reason you're taking issue with me is because you personally disapprove of my view and it irritates you.

We are in a rebuild though...did you actually think we were contenders this year? Yikes.
We ARE in rebuild mode. This team is a shadow of the 2016 Premiership team, we are just fortunate to have drafted a good bunch of youngsters to build around. Bevo actually said in his press conference a couple of weeks ago, that 2016 is the past, its all about the future now for the team. Pretty much another way of saying we spent 2017 and 2018 trying to see if we can milk anything more, once we realized it has ran dry, 2019 is now about building towards the future. He doesn't think it, he actually said we are.
Oh ok, I didn't get that memo. So we're in rebuild mode, the same way we were at the end on 2014 going onto 2015? And that position justifies team selection based on player development rather than selections that would give us the best chance of winning? The same mentality that kept Melbourne in the dumpster for 10 years? So even though we won our first two games against Sydney & Hawthorn and boast one of the strongest midfields in the league, we are looking to prioritize young player development over making the finals? Ok, got you; English might get mauled in the ruck again and that might lead to a loss, but at least he will get more experience solo rucking. Beveridge can do no wrong.

Last edited:
Oh ok, I didn't get that memo. So we're in rebuild mode, the same way we were at the end on 2014 going onto 2015? And that position justifies team selection based on player development rather than selections that would give us the best chance of winning? The same mentality that kept Melbourne in the dumpster for 10 years? So even though we won our first two games against Sydney & Hawthorn and boast one of the strongest midfields in the league, we are looking to prioritize young player development over making the finals? Ok, got you; English might get mauled in the ruck again and that might lead to a loss, but at least he will get more experience solo rucking. Beveridge can do no wrong.

What makes you think that being in a rebuild and trying to win as many games as possible are mutually exclusive? Rebuilding doesn't mean tanking. What makes you think that player development is the major consideration in team selection? If that was the case I'd imagine West and Lipinski would be playing ahead of Dickson and Lloyd etc.

Like it or not we don't have any other rucks on the list at the moment who are worth a spot in our 22. But that's a problem with our recruiting, not selection.

We barely won against Sydney and the Hawthorn game we were incredibly lucky with injuries and umpiring. We finished thirteenth last year which is a good indicator of where we are at.

In regard to English, you seem to think the hitouts are a bigger deal than they are. If you think we lost to Collingwood due to the hitouts then you don't understand the game very well.

Last edited:
People repeat the same opinions all the time every day. The reason you're taking issue with me is because you personally disapprove of my view and it irritates you.

Also, rebuild doesn't mean bottoming out or starting over. It just means the emphasis is now on developing players the best we can, whilst still trying to win as many games as possible. Its about ensuring the team is able to compete for a long period in the years to come rather than pull a good year or two out of our ass. Nothing near anything alike Melbourne. If the club isn't at least looking to Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney as a bench mark to what we should aim for, we are foolish. Rather be competitive for a decade than another short window.

If you remember back to 2015, Bev played almost every player in the first half of the year. He likes to see who can handle it and who can't. Who can play in which position, or multiple positions. It's a development year.

Also, rebuild doesn't mean bottoming out or starting over. It just means the emphasis is now on developing players the best we can, whilst still trying to win as many games as possible. Its about ensuring the team is able to compete for a long period in the years to come rather than pull a good year or two out of our ass. Nothing near anything alike Melbourne. If the club isn't at least looking to Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney as a bench mark to what we should aim for, we are foolish. Rather be competitive for a decade than another short window.

then why recruit players like sam lloyd and duryea? we have so many young players waiting in the VFL for games. and its not like they are filling holes in the team. they are taking games from young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you remember back to 2015, Bev played almost every player in the first half of the year. He likes to see who can handle it and who can't. Who can play in which position, or multiple positions. It's a development year.
We played finals in 2015 and kicked the identical number of goals we kicked in 2016 despite playing
three less games.

then why recruit players like sam lloyd and duryea? we have so many young players waiting in the VFL for games. and its not like they are filling holes in the team. they are taking games from young players.
Because we are too young. Need some experienced and mature bodies to help fill in the gap. Cant just play a team full of skinny kids, won't help their development doing a Gold Coast

Development is not a dirty word ! Bevo needs to work out what he has to work with, and what he needs going forward.
There are some definite gaps going to be interesting to see if we can fill them with what we have internally or if we need to trade/draft to fill them

Because we are too young. Need some experienced and mature bodies to help fill in the gap. Cant just play a team full of skinny kids, won't help their development doing a Gold Coast

i understand that. but we let go luke dahlhaus, roughead, campbell. etc.
they are players who can all fill positions.

and lloyd and duryea are squad players also, not best 22 locks.

the list managment has been shocking these past 3 seasons.

Development is not a dirty word ! Bevo needs to work out what he has to work with, and what he needs going forward.
There are some definite gaps going to be interesting to see if we can fill them with what we have internally or if we need to trade/draft to fill them

2 big issues that need fixing are building a proper forwardline and inject more zippy/speedy players.

i understand that. but we let go luke dahlhaus, roughead, campbell. etc.
they are players who can all fill positions.

and lloyd and duryea are squad players also, not best 22 locks.

the list managment has been shocking these past 3 seasons.
Well I'm glad they're in charge rather than you if that's your outlook!!

You want to keep a bloke who has been on the list for 7 years for 40 games while being overlooked for Ayce Cordy of all people?

Dahl was a free agent and a choice he made. We offered him a fair and reasonable contract. He was surplus to needs.

Roughy was done with us. He was going to struggle and because he's such a stand up guy, we helped him get somewhere beneficial for him.

Meanwhile, Lloyd and Duryea have provided us with something we lack - the ability to hit a target under pressure. They may not be superstars, but they absolutely fill a role.

We also pretty much had Wingard in the book, we missed out to Hawthorn, which is understandable from a Wingard perspective. Again, Wingard would have filled a need.

In regard to English, you seem to think the hitouts are a bigger deal than they are. If you think we lost to Collingwood due to the hitouts then you don't understand the game very well.

The last qtr hit outs played a reasonably significant part in the final outcome and I think even Bevo acknowledged that in the long term they can't allow themselves to be on the receiving end to that extent at centre bounces in particular.

But a couple of mitigating factors. It took the esteemed Pies ruck and midfield division a full 3/4's to work out a way to out-manoeuvre our out-manoeuvreing and our out-manoeuvreing included a skinny young ruck who couldn't win a tap. Cf what they did with Brisbane and Martin a week later. And in all likelihood our ruck and midfield, which had stuffed the pies for the first 3/4s, fatigued significantly in the last qtr off a 5 day break. It wasn't a bad loss as far as losses go I thought. A few clues as to what they need and where they need to get to for a shot at September.

There's no quick fix to fast track English and against a really good outfit like the Pies everything has to work for us and even then it might not quite be enough or we might get caught at the end of the game. But realistically, there might only be 4 or 5 combos in the comp at the moment that over the course of the game will get the better of Bont Macrae and Libba with a significant tap out advantage such is their ability to read the opposing ruckman and set up and act accordingly. We just need them all to stay intact for the season.

As you suggest, there are other areas of ground that need more urgent attention. Converting the possession and I50 advantage we enjoy for large periods into actual goals would be top of my list.

So Beveridge came into the club when it was in a rebuilding period with an attitude that anything is possible and won a flag with a very young team but is now coaching for development purposes in an even season?
More than half of the premiership team is still there with a couple of other recent premiership players if you need to rebuild from that there’s something horribly wrong. Obviously some adjustments needed to be made to the team after 2016 which they have, but if you play for the future it generally never arrives.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back