Strategy Changes v Carltank, Sunday April 21st

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Looming Axe:

1. Gowers - despite a lean start to the season, I'd persist. He faces his former club this week, with a point to prove, and it may just be the match that sparks him to life.

2. Schache - Two quiet weeks after early promise. He offers English respite in the ruck and has just enough runs on the board to retain his spot.

3. Dickson - Looking tired and close to being rested. This opponent may be the ideal time to give him a week off, however, Tory is a fighter and the 9 day break will enable him to get over the line.

4. Richards - has struggled to find the footy thus far and with a host of VFL players lining up, Little Red looks the most likely to return to Footscray to find some form.

Verdict: Richards to be replaced by either: Williams, Lipinski, Roarke Smith or Jong. Some may say we need another tall - Trengove - however, our run and carry is our 2019 blueprint and I can't see Bevo straying from that trademark at this point.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
I reckon Dunkley is on as thin ice as Wallis, because they're pretty much the only two players in the team this year that Bevo hasn't quite worked out the role he wants them to play - both on paper within our best 22, both having weak starts to the year, both having played the most diverse roles across the 4 games v the other players who have played the majority of games.

As silly as it sounds, I reckon there's a chance we drop both and go with two completely dissimilar players - maybe someone like Young and Williams coming both back into the team as defenders, and releasing Johannisen and Richards up the ground a bit more (as a different style of quick player to what Dunkley and Wallis were playing through midfield and up forward).
Having read the comments on both WALLIS AND DUNKLEY, I have come to the conclussion that they are competing for the weeping boy trophy for 2019. will it be a dead heat? only time will tell. no predictions.

Having read the comments on both WALLIS AND DUNKLEY, I have come to the conclussion that they are competing for the weeping boy trophy for 2019. will it be a dead heat? only time will tell. no predictions.
Perhaps one will get the weeping boy trophy and the other will get a whipping.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Think we will go best if we try and cut them open with good kicking and pace. I would be making two changes, one to help team balance with their abundance of key forwards. The other change would be to get one bull butcherer out for someone with much more lethal foot skills.

IN: Lewis Young, Pat Lipinski
OUT: Josh Dunkley, Mitch Wallis

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

0utsider

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
IMG_0372.JPG

Might be a bit late on this one. Who do we think?
Must be one of Webb, Lipinski, Roarke and Trengove. Richards surely first in line for a stint in the 2’s. Lipinski or Webb the most likely replacements.
Edit: Forgot about Williams. He’ll be right in the mix as well.

Trengove for English would be a a result focused decision but I don’t think the club are that bothered with results this season, it’s all about development so we’ll persist with Tim. Would still like Trengove in to play in defence and give English a break from getting thrown around for 2 hours.

Dunkley has been poor but it’s hardly his fault. He’s not a forward. It feels harsh on him, but he either needs to be put back in the mids at Wallis’s expense (Wallis is better as a forward anyway) or we might as well not play him at all

Last edited:

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 656968

Must be one of Webb, Lipinski, Roarke and Trengove. Richards surely first in line for a stint in the 2’s. Lipinski or Webb the most likely replacements.

Trengove for English would be a a result focused decision but I don’t think the club are that bothered with results this season, it’s all about development so we’ll persist with Tim. Would still like Trengove in to play in defence and give English a break from getting thrown around for 2 hours.

Dunkley has been poor but it’s hardly his fault. He’s not a forward. It feels harsh on him, but he either needs to be put back in the mids at Wallis’s expense (Wallis is better as a forward anyway) or we might as well not play him at all

I can see Trengove and Lipinski coming in. Maybe couple more weeks for Webb after that neck injury.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 656968

Bevo said "some" - that means more than one!

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What's with the Wallis criticism???

4 games in this season, he's averaging 24 disposals, nearly a goal a game.

I prefer to see him predominantly in the forward line but he's been going ok as a midfielder.

There are more obvious targets, folks.
Because his mistakes are glaring so he's an easy target.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No one is perfect, Hard Balls. They all make mistakes and a lot of them are glaring mistakes. Wallis would be nowhere near the top of the list for returnees to the magoos.
Of course. That's my point. His mistakes are generally a poor kick leading to a goal the other way. The average footy fan notices them more than others.

Doggies7

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks Manchester City
Man I had a feeling Lachie Young might get the call up. Emergency in the first few rounds and a guy Bevo had singled out for a really good pre season. Seemed like all the clues for the type of guy Beveridge likes to debut early in the year.

Good stuff Will and Lachie, hope they go well.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t really get what Hayes offers, was not impressed during the jlt games and vfl form has been meh.

Has been plenty of positive talk and Lachlan young but we already have so many Defenders in the team, even if we drop Richards (who hasnt been playing there) we have Duryea, wood, Daniel, suckling, crozier and jj.

Surely lipinski plays if these two guys are in, also think other guys have been better performed in the vfl.

Back