Senior List
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OUT: Schache, Scott, Cordy
IN: English, Blackburn, Huntington
OUT: Schache, Scott, Cordy
IN: English, Blackburn, Huntington
Having watched replays, Cordy has to go, the most suitable replacement is Lewis Young, again had good statistics in the VFL. To see, Cordy 'wheel' on to his left foot is very frightening.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Having watched replays, Cordy has to go, the most suitable replacement is Lewis Young, again had good statistics in the VFL. To see, Cordy 'wheel' on to his left foot is very frightening.
I'm not sure how you feel when Lewis Young gets the ball then. He's pretty comfortably the worst kick in our team when any sort of slight pressure is applied.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think its so bad oppositions will start leaving him in alone in that pocket because they're 50% chance of getting a turnover.

I wish I was joking...

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Re: West

I reckon I could quote a few dozen people on here making similar comments on Bailey Williams being "too arrogant", "too selfish", "taking too much on" and not giving first option in his early games. Thankfully he kept pushing those limits and is now his taking the game on is one of his biggest assets.

West is learning his craft and developing his body and skills - he had a very poor game with some undisciplined and some downright stupid acts, but some players just need to find out what they can get away with in their first 20-30 games. Many will look a little too cocksure in that phase of their development until they find the right balance (I'm not comparing him to Dusty, but I bet Martin, in his first 10-20 games, had many matches where he gave away multiple stupid frees, made stupid decisions and got caught multiple times trying to take too many players on).

I see West's upside as someone who can become an 7/8 out of 10 type player, and more importantly, someone with the type of intensity and attitude you can rely on to have an impact in finals. Rather than keep investing games in someone who's best will be a 5 or 6, and no guarantee to stand up in finals (Scott), if we're going to give someone on the fringes the benefit of the doubt when they're 50/50 to be dropped, I'd rather West be the one who has his development fast tracked in the seniors.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I reckon I could quote a few dozen people on here making similar comments on Bailey Williams being "too arrogant", "too selfish", "taking too much on" and not giving first option in his early games. Thankfully he kept pushing those limits and is now his taking the game on is one of his biggest assets.
There is a huge difference between Bailey Williams trying to run through three opponents and Rhylee West burning his teammates to take a set shot for goal that was always outside of his range, and giving away multiple completely undisciplined free kicks in addition to playing poorly on top of that.

I don't disagree with your overall point and would be content to see him backed in, as I do think he can offer something, but this is a very tenuous comparison.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
There is a huge difference between Bailey Williams trying to run through three opponents and Rhylee West burning his teammates to take a set shot for goal that was always outside of his range, and giving away multiple completely undisciplined free kicks in addition to playing poorly on top of that.

I don't disagree with your overall point and would be content to see him backed in, as I do think he can offer something, but this is a very tenuous comparison.

I have listed West as one that should be dropped on performance - but if he is read the riot act and given a foot up the arse - then I'm happy for him to stay in as he develops his game. He has traits we need - but that needs to be the focus, eliminating the unnecessary stuff.

Doggiesfan14

Team Captain
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West has got to be dropped for being undisciplined for me. Really got to make an example of that, like Lipinksi was a few weeks ago (50m against WC). Cannot be giving away critical off the ball free kicks

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For me West and Schache just didn't want it enough.And were losing the 1 on 1s.Surprised with West as l remember him being more instinctive.
But a marking contest with Schache, where all he had to do was apply body.As he had the sit and was out marked.Just says Back to reserves.
I would try Weightman,Garcia or Cavarra see if they want it more.
As McLean is only 4 weeks away now
Hopefully English returns if not still on the Jamarra train...

BrunswickDog

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FWIW, my view of young is that from a 1v1 perspective he is largely the same as cordy. Both are susceptible and have significant weaknesses.

However Cordy is a bit more composed with ball in hand, whereas Young just boots it down the line when he gets it or hits handpasses to whoever is next to him, which doesn't fit with how we move out of defence.

Even in the Brisbane game, there was a passage where he pumped it down the line, and intercepted it when the lions did immediately the same. This happened twice.

If he can hit a more agressive short pass, or be a bit more composed, he would be a clear pick ahead or Cordy.

Until Gardner comes back......

On another point, on Friday night, did anyone else notice how gassed Keath looked all the time? I was behind the goals at the city end, and the guy spent most of the night hunched over sucking in air. Not a critiscm, more about the load he is shouldering

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FWIW, my view of young is that from a 1v1 perspective he is largely the same as cordy. Both are susceptible and have significant weaknesses.

However Cordy is a bit more composed with ball in hand, whereas Young just boots it down the line when he gets it or hits handpasses to whoever is next to him, which doesn't fit with how we move out of defence.

Even in the Brisbane game, there was a passage where he pumped it down the line, and intercepted it when the lions did immediately the same. This happened twice.

If he can hit a more agressive short pass, or be a bit more composed, he would be a clear pick ahead or Cordy.

On another point, on Friday night, did anyone else notice how gassed Keath looked all the time? I was behind the goals at the city end, and the guy spent most of the night hunched over sucking in air. Not a critiscm, more about the load he is shouldering

Did spend 100% of time on the park. Didn't get a break. Not to mention at times our defence was under siege so pretty understandable he was tired.

Normally our mids do a great job of giving the defence a rest with the ball in the forward half. Not so on friday night.

Whole team looked gassed to me.

Al dente

All Australian
Sep 11, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West has got to be dropped for being undisciplined for me. Really got to make an example of that, like Lipinksi was a few weeks ago (50m against WC). Cannot be giving away critical off the ball free kicks
i think Bevo will also see it that way, if it was just the poor performance he'd get another chance, but the freekicks probably mean he's back to the VFL

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
In my very next paragraph, I said: "he had a very poor game with some undisciplined and some downright stupid acts" - which is almost a mirror of what you've said above. I'm not blind to the very poor game he played nor what he needs to improve on.

The Williams comparison was re: a young player finding their limits in what they can do/get away with at the top level. Not that they're the same type of player or their errors are identical. West is someone who will play on the edge - from knowing when to take on players and seeing what he can/cannot get away with (took the wrong option many times when he could have offloaded early), choosing the right option when deciding to to take the shot or giving off, through to hunger/overzealousness in attacking the balll/man vs giving away silly free kicks.

Outside of being sub round 1, he had played 7 games before Friday night - he needs time/exposure at the top level to find balance between what works and what doesn't work - hopefully in a few years when he's absolutely gunning it, we'll look back at some of his early games as a temporary but necessary trough in his upwards development curve. If he's still doing this stuff at 24-25 and with 70-80 games under his belt, by all means, it's massive alarm bells.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Out: Cordy, Schache, JJ, Scott (if injured)
In: English, Khamis, McNeil, Weightman (if Scott injured)

I'd like to see West given a chance to redeem himself; his sins aren't irredeemable like Schache's are. English has to come back so there's just no spot for Schache regardless.

No more spud talls please. I don't see what we lose by playing Khamis instead of Cordy.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lipi was one on One for a.ground ball late in the Game. Never going to win it.

Sheedy used to teach competiveness by kicking a ball 50m away and telling two playi to go get it. Lipi would rarely get the ball when stacked up against any mid in the league IMO. In hot.games he will let us down IMO. BONT had a sh*t.game but was also BN F in a flag yr and stands up more often than not.

Having said that I'd keep Lipi in but that's the problem with him. Reminds me.of.Gia and Eagleton. Good.home.and away players who were repeatedly found out in hot games.
Sheedy used to do that? My dad used to do that for us in under 11s mate

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d rather play Buku than Lewis Young.

His game against the Suns was one of the worst I’ve ever seen live and the MC obviously agreed after his ok performance against the Lions.

It’s a massive issue for us several media people have mentioned but been screamed down as talking cr@p by many in here.

If teams can isolate our back 6 we are a average footy team that isn’t close to contending. The midfield is the catalyst for how we play and will need to dominate most games for us to go deep in Finals

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He was pick two and just had a bad day. You guys should all email the club and demand that Schache stays in for one more week as a show of faith. No need to rush English.
- Just a footy fan with no other motives.

Yeah I’d want him to play in I was a blues fan also.

Schache is no good and should never get another senior game, simply isn’t prepared to have a crack when necessary

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looking at our draw this is a must win game.

6 weeks after that we play Port (away), Stk , Melb, Freo (away), Geel (away), Eagles (away).

We start favourite in maybe 1 max 2 of those games.

We could be mid table before we know it. Cannot afford to drop this. Midfield need to fire all game.

Apart from the Wet Toast game when they were on and Tigers we haven’t really been tested, but that draw will test us as injuries come about.

Of the next 7 incl Carltank, at a minimum if we are 4 and3 we are good. That is a really tough draw

Let’s get over the Blues first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back