Prediction Changes v Carlton Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much. Last weekend was the first game this season where every change was pretty much spot on to what most of us wanted, and every player brought in basically served up crap.
It's almost as if us plebs know less than a premiership standard coaching panel that deal with the players day in, day out.

Surely not.

Re: West

I reckon I could quote a few dozen people on here making similar comments on Bailey Williams being "too arrogant", "too selfish", "taking too much on" and not giving first option in his early games. Thankfully he kept pushing those limits and is now his taking the game on is one of his biggest assets.

West is learning his craft and developing his body and skills - he had a very poor game with some undisciplined and some downright stupid acts, but some players just need to find out what they can get away with in their first 20-30 games. Many will look a little too cocksure in that phase of their development until they find the right balance (I'm not comparing him to Dusty, but I bet Martin, in his first 10-20 games, had many matches where he gave away multiple stupid frees, made stupid decisions and got caught multiple times trying to take too many players on).

I see West's upside as someone who can become an 7/8 out of 10 type player, and more importantly, someone with the type of intensity and attitude you can rely on to have an impact in finals. Rather than keep investing games in someone who's best will be a 5 or 6, and no guarantee to stand up in finals (Scott), if we're going to give someone on the fringes the benefit of the doubt when they're 50/50 to be dropped, I'd rather West be the one who has his development fast tracked in the seniors.
Spot on mate

What have we got to lose to drop Schache and play him in defence at VFL level and see how he goes. He never gets a gig as a forward at AFL again. Young, Cordy and Gardner are not good enough, Karmis not big enough and we have no spots available in the mid season draft.

Seems a no brainer to me 1% chance of it working against zero chance of him being an AFL standard forward.
Yep and it might just make him harder at it.Without even realizing it.
Agree Nothing to lose like Liam Jones and our own Dale..

Doggies would probably win either way but is English coming back for this one?

I really hope not as he's a good player and Schache looks to be a weak link.
Yet to be confirmed, but I imagine he is. Cordy played like s**t, Young looked hopeless at times in the VFL, and we're still without Gardner, making our key defensive stocks even worse than ever before. Could be interesting

Pick your poison with Young or Cordy. Do you want to get beaten on 100% of leads with Cordy, or 100% of 1v1s with Young? We miss Gardner and I hope this board is starting to realise why he's so much better than our other options.

Young should 100% be in over Cordy, at least Young has positive attributes with his intercepting. Not sure what Cordy brings. Gardner sucks one on one too, his main attributes are that he is quite quick for the leads and can spoil in packs. Keath is really the only good one on one defender we have at the moment.

I still think we missed a trick not giving Young an extended period of time in the side to see if we have anything in him but I doubt it’ll ever happen. More likely to play Keath as the sole tall with mids and smalls around him until Gardner gets back.

36A94A40-837C-4F82-81C8-B105C3A4D7E3.jpeg

2EE7A2E8-C4F4-4B31-B276-240A9EE7DD49.jpeg

Last edited:
Yet to be confirmed, but I imagine he is. Cordy played like sh*t, Young looked hopeless at times in the VFL, and we're still without Gardner, making our key defensive stocks even worse than ever before. Could be interesting

Not much to worry about except Harry McKay so you'll be fine.

Casboult is clearly playing injured, McGovern just got injured and obviously Charlie Curnow is out. Jack Silvagni is injured but may return, though he's not a big key forward.

If we had all of McKay, Casboult, McGovern and Charlie Curnow fit and firing i'd say our forward line would be a real advantage over your key defenders which is probably your only shaky area. But we really only have McKay. Sadly, that game vs you guys a few years ago when Curnow kicked 7 goals was the last full game he's played. McKay & Curnow would be right up there as one of the best key forward pairings in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we could play Sweet as a forward ruck and English as a KPD. He would take a lot of intercept marks. They both seem quite agile from what I’ve seen.

Or you could just play Naught, JUH and Bruce as the 3 key forwards and have English chop out ruck from the backline. Swing one of Bruce/Naught back (depending on who isn't playing as well up forward) to fill that gap when English rucks.

It would be an interesting concept to try. English could get burnt once or twice on the lead but his outrageous reach would get his hand to the ball to spoil and obviously his intercept marking is elite. He'd probably be an upgrade on what we have.

Young really should have gotten a month of games to see if he’s up to the standard. Terrible decision going back to Cordy last week.
Not sure that Young had a harder go of it than Cordy. Three or four games against lower-ranked opposition, vs 1st game back against the reigning premiers.

I wonder how well Young would have gone against Lynch first game back after a couple of average games (at best)? Many on this board would be calling for the bloke to be given more than one match back, but one match back and Cordy is getting slaughtered (again).

Drop the player who had the second most clearances for us while playing the least amount of time in the mid. Had 23 disposals. He had more clearances than Bont, Smith, Treloar and equaled Macrae. The hate for Lipi just amazes me. Bont was worse than Lipi. He turned it over all night and missed a goal from 12 metres directly in front. Lipi is not quick and his defensive game is improving. Unfortunately he,hit the post from 45 out. I have watched him closely this year to see if any of the negative comments are valid and I have to disagree
The hate for certain players is deplorable. Shame, shame, shame ...

Not sure that Young had a harder go of it than Cordy. Three or four games against lower-ranked opposition, vs 1st game back against the reigning premiers.

I wonder how well Young would have gone against Lynch first game back after a couple of average games (at best)? Many on this board would be calling for the bloke to be given more than one match back, but one match back and Cordy is getting slaughtered (again).

Cordy played against GWS.

Young got 2 games, the first against last year's preliminary finalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back