Preview Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

IF there is somehow a season salvaged out of this mess, what is everyone's prediction for our 22 to take the field in what would be a very delayed round 2? Probably assume Hunter suspended I would imagine.
Here is mine

B: Wood, Le. Young, Keath
HB: Johannisen, Cordy, Crozier
C: B. Smith, Dunkley, Lipinski
HF:Wallis, Naughton, Dale
F: Lloyd, Bruce, Cavarra
FOL: English, Bontempelli, Macrae
INT: West, Liberatore, Richards, Daniel

B: La. Young, Trengove, Duryea
HB: Suckling, Gardner, Williams
C: R. Smith, Jong, Hayes
HF: Dickson, Schache, Garcia
F: Weightman, Gowers, Greene
FOL: Sweet, Porter, McLean
INT: Khamis, Butler, Vandermeer, Lynch

Williams did ok and Suckers never gets dropped :) <insert rage about MC>

IF there is somehow a season salvaged out of this mess, what is everyone's prediction for our 22 to take the field in what would be a very delayed round 2? Probably assume Hunter suspended I would imagine.
Here is mine

Here is mine

For mine JJ , Daniel, Lloyd and Cavarra are too many smalls in the team . The Collingwood game saw us brushed aside too easily, they broke tackles too easily and our pressure was rubbish.
Time to get La Young into the side.

It goes to show again just how important Libba was in 2016. That whole “in your face, dgaf” dare I say Toby Green campaignerage is what we missed in the guts v GWS last year and against Collingwood round 1. Same same Clay Smith. I love Macrae, Bont and Dunkley but they are all really “nice” guys - which is an issue. I also think the Bont has become “nicer” on the field. I want the version that put Hodge on his arse in the ‘16 semi final... These blokes need some counterbalance with a couple of hard nuts on the edge of madness (libbas feed anyone?). If we can get libba back to his hard nose best our midfield will improve dramatically I would think but he’s probably never going to be the player he was. Porter isn’t any good, Wallis gets injured to much and isn’t someone who’s a natural hardarse... not sure where you find some campaigner but we need it that’s for sure!

It goes to show again just how important Libba was in 2016. That whole “in your face, dgaf” dare I say Toby Green campaignerage is what we missed in the guts v GWS last year and against Collingwood round 1. Same same Clay Smith. I love Macrae, Bont and Dunkley but they are all really “nice” guys - which is an issue. I also think the Bont has become “nicer” on the field. I want the version that put Hodge on his arse in the ‘16 semi final... These blokes need some counterbalance with a couple of hard nuts on the edge of madness (libbas feed anyone?). If we can get libba back to his hard nose best our midfield will improve dramatically I would think but he’s probably never going to be the player he was. Porter isn’t any good, Wallis gets injured to much and isn’t someone who’s a natural hardarse... not sure where you find some campaigner but we need it that’s for sure!

B.Smith and West have that mongrel. But I do agree. We need a bit more. We had a lot of that in ‘16.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B.Smith and West have that mongrel. But I do agree. We need a bit more. We had a lot of that in ‘16.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dahl and Stringer had some real edge to them as well. I agree with Bevo building a group that buys into a real team ethos but I hope his teams still allow the maverick personalities the space to be a bit crazy where they need to. Without condoning stringers behaviour off-field, I wonder if some of those types of challenges don’t come with the territory of the type of crazy that our team lacks at the moment. We need someone crazy brave or crazy crazy or both to help out the guts. I hope it’s West and I hope he makes it. B Smith is a gun.

Hmmmmmm. So another performance like the Collingwood game and him and about five others should get a game.

If we are soft again we may as well unleash Porter to let him bash, crash and tackle everyone in sight

Dahl and Stringer had some real edge to them as well. I agree with Bevo building a group that buys into a real team ethos but I hope his teams still allow the maverick personalities the space to be a bit crazy where they need to. Without condoning stringers behaviour off-field, I wonder if some of those types of challenges don’t come with the territory of the type of crazy that our team lacks at the moment. We need someone crazy brave or crazy crazy or both to help out the guts. I hope it’s West and I hope he makes it. B Smith is a gun.
Makes me think perhaps letting Dahl go wasn't the greatest decision. He was asking too much, and we may have thought he simply wasn't going to lift without moving clubs, but we now desperately lack his exact type.

The Stringer situation was unfixable though. He was really damaging the club's image and caused turmoil in the playing group, so he had to go. It's a pity, because he was such a dynamic player who could carry the team on his back when firing.

Dahl and Stringer are two players we sorely miss, but I doubt they would have turned things around if they stayed

I think Weightman brings some solid pressure, but isn't the frantic type we're needing. If the season doesn't happen and there's a draft lottery, or something else happens that gives us a high pick besides Jamarra, I'd hope we go after someone like Nathan O'Driscoll who's the roughest tackler in the draft class. He's mostly a backman, but give him JJ's spot and give JJ his run on the wing.

I think Weightman brings some solid pressure, but isn't the frantic type we're needing. If the season doesn't happen and there's a draft lottery, or something else happens that gives us a high pick besides Jamarra, I'd hope we go after someone like Nathan O'Driscoll who's the roughest tackler in the draft class. He's mostly a backman, but give him JJ's spot and give JJ his run on the wing.
Only hope of snagging him would be trading back in after JUH match I'd think. Looks like he'll be somewhere in the teens at this rate. If we had a pick before JUH, I'd want DGB or Thilthorpe

I think a lot of the younger guys will be disadvantaged by the current situation. The older brigade have a lot more miles in the legs, and on average, you'd think are better suited to training at home with reduced guidance from the club. With that in mind:

FB: Cordy, Trengove, Wood
HB: JJ, Keath, Crozier
C: Hayes, Macrae, Suckling
HF: B.Smith, Naughton, Richards
FF: Wallis, Bruce, Lloyd
R: English, Bont, Dunkley
Int: Dickson, Lipinski, Mclean, Williams

If Libba is good to go I would bring him in ahead of Mclean. Depending on who we play I would also drop Trengove for another midfield rotation.

I think a lot of the younger guys will be disadvantaged by the current situation. The older brigade have a lot more miles in the legs, and on average, you'd think are better suited to training at home with reduced guidance from the club. With that in mind:

FB: Cordy, Trengove, Wood
HB: JJ, Keath, Crozier
C: Hayes, Macrae, Suckling
HF: B.Smith, Naughton, Richards
FF: Wallis, Bruce, Lloyd
R: English, Bont, Dunkley
Int: Dickson, Lipinski, Mclean, Williams

If Libba is good to go I would bring him in ahead of Mclean. Depending on who we play I would also drop Trengove for another midfield rotation.

I don't really rate Richards at half forward. I'd probably start Lipinski or Dickson there and have Richards on the interchange.

If you guys were coaching the side this year would you focus on development or would you go all out for winning the flag? If you were going the development route what things might you experiment with?

I'd probably do the following:

Put Richards at half back or on a wing for the whole season. He's never going to be a forward so let him develop in a role he will actually play.

Weightman plays the whole season.

West plays as much midfield time as his thick little legs can handle.

Bring in Sweet so English can have a good run as a wingman and fulfil his destiny.

Trengove, Dickson and Suckling told to go and pursue another career. I love Suckling and think he's a gun but his body isn't holding up well enough to think he's going to be a major player in our next campaign. Ditto Dicko.

Toby McLean given one more year to develop as a half forward and if he fails we look to trade him out end of season. He could carve out a decent career at another club with a midfield that doesn't run as deep.

If you guys were coaching the side this year would you focus on development or would you go all out for winning the flag? If you were going the development route what things might you experiment with?

Put Richards at half back or on a wing for the whole season. He's never going to be a forward so let him develop in a role he will actually play.

Bring in Sweet so English can have a good run as a wingman and fulfil his destiny.

Trengove, Dickson and Suckling told to go and pursue another career. I love Suckling and think he's a gun but his body isn't holding up well enough to think he's going to be a major player in our next campaign. Ditto Dicko.

Toby McLean given one more year to develop as a half forward and if he fails we look to trade him out end of season. He could carve out a decent career at another club with a midfield that doesn't run as deep.

Not a big fan of this approach. We still have a pretty young side who’s also trying to find its best football and I don’t think we are going to find it playing multiple youngsters who aren’t up to it just yet.
We only need to look at how Rd1 played out across most games. Nearly all the younger less experienced teams struggled to get up and going with no atmosphere at the grounds where as the more experienced teams were better drilled in the footy they played and just went went about it regardless of crowd involvement and outside noise. (The no crowd stuff is a little off topic but, for me, it had a huge impact on the younger, less experienced teams.)

So, imo, the quickest way to get to where we need to be in regards to the footy we play and the consistency we need just as the Pies, Tigers, WC etc currently are right now, playing a strong, experienced side is so important. That doesn’t mean some of those youngsters don’t get games, I just think handing them games purely to jump start the development etc is the wrong way when it’s the whole 22 that needs to be playing at a certain, consistent level.

Edit: I think Rd1 exposed us a bit In regards to lack of experience and showed we aren’t well drilled enough. No crowds, shorter qtrs, less coaching staff and trainers, uncertainty around covid. I think it got to us a bit.
The more exp teams just went about their business but we seemed to struggle.
We have a very good list and we play a good brand of footy, we just need it to be more consistent and resilient.

Last edited:

I think I'd go for the flag. Trengove playing a mixture of FB and ruck. Macrae starting on ball and not on bench (which was ridiculous). We have a naturally young side so we still have plenty of room for developing players, we don't really have a choice, but I don't think we need to go all out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back