M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We need a dash of young quick talent into the team. Nothing against Answerth but still think he's out of his depth in the AFL at this stage. Panics way too much and resorts to a hack kick around the body only for it to come back into the defensive 50.

Shame about Bailey being injured again, he was our answer to some speed out of the backline. Need someone in the reserves to really command a spot in the defensive 50, as there is a spot there for the taking. Maybe time to give Hinge a debut?
Agree, the selection door needs to swing open for Hinge.

Oct 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Witherden is my least favourite player getting regular senior games. He is lazy, a very poor defender, slow, poor decision maker. His only attribute is a long, sometimes accurate kick. He is still young so not all is lost but I hate the way he goes about it. Seems to have gulped his own bath water after a few media plugs over the last 12 months.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I reckon opposition forwards would love lining up on Witherden. He hardly seems the type you’d think you’re in for a hard day or that his fitness will burn you with runs out of the background.

As others have said; him and Rayner have drunk way too much of their own bathwater. I don’t particularly care for either of them at the moment with their laziness and general lack of effectiveness for most the season.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon opposition forwards would love lining up on Witherden. He hardly seems the type you’d think you’re in for a hard day or that his fitness will burn you with runs out of the background.

As others have said; him and Rayner have drunk way too much of their own bathwater. I don’t particularly care for either of them at the moment with their laziness and general lack of effectiveness for most the season.

Yep, lets just do the amateur psych evaluation of a 19 and 20 year old, fantastic stuff.

Both aren't in great form, both could well be dropped. How hard is it to say that rather than insulting their character? Yeah they are well paid professional athletes so they can take fair criticism but I'll never understand the impulse of some to just turn on players as soon as we have a poor loss.

Gotta love this board after a loss, we really are well practiced in having a serious melt.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Yep, lets just do the amateur psych evaluation of a 19 and 20 year old, fantastic stuff.

Both aren't in great form, both could well be dropped. How hard is it to say that rather than insulting their character? Yeah they are well paid professional athletes so they can take fair criticism but I'll never understand the impulse of some to just turn on players as soon as we have a poor loss.

Gotta love this board after a loss, we really are well practiced in having a serious melt.
I haven’t shitted on him as Brad Johnson did during the telecast, rather, pointing out that he is severely lacking as a lot of running attacking defenders are which is what we need. Both he and Rayner just aren’t offering anything at the moment and any opponent would have to be licking their lips at the prospect of playing on either of them.

Rayner does nothing outside the I50 and even then, aside from the odd game such as the GC game, he isn’t offering anything in the I50, which Cameron isn’t either.

Both are high profile players for differing reasons and it’s fair to expect more, but at the moment, they’re both just plodders. I hardly think stating that is any kind of character assasination.

Can't imagine we'll go nuts with the changes.

Out: Bailey, McInerney
In: Walker, Keays

Think Rayner and a couple of others would be on notice but I'd be surprised if we dropped them this week with no NEAFL game.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Witherden would be perfect for high half forward / wing if his fitness were up to it. Where did he play usually as a junior?

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Every week there is calls for X to be dropped we are 5-3
Although each week the output of some of the same names are mentioned. It might be good for a player to get a wake up call in the twos no doubt.
You would hope the coaches have a chat to them honestly and they are working on problems.

I think we are a 9-13 ladder side which could sneak into the finals this year.
Be happy if we did. I was looking at 8-10 wins as a plus this year.
I know we had a good first month although going from 5-17 to finals means we need 12-13 wins a big jump.
A lot of the players are still young and have good and bad games. The older they get the more the good vs bad will close the gap.
Remember a few of our players that been around a while not been in a team like we are this year. They still learning.
Although on the other hand if they not getting a kick up the bum to save their ego we will not improve.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Dylan does have a point. If I were an opposition small forward, I'd be more scared of a 34 year old Hodge than a present age Witherden.

His defensive nous and urgency with ball in hand is nothing to write home about.
On Hodge; I thought he was one of our better players today.

Similarly; Lester was very solid too. You would’ve hoped that we’d have moved past these two, but it’s patently evident that we haven’t sadly.

We need a dash of young quick talent into the team. Nothing against Answerth but still think he's out of his depth in the AFL at this stage. Panics way too much and resorts to a hack kick around the body only for it to come back into the defensive 50.

Shame about Bailey being injured again, he was our answer to some speed out of the backline. Need someone in the reserves to really command a spot in the defensive 50, as there is a spot there for the taking. Maybe time to give Hinge a debut?

To be fair I saw Darcy do this 2-3 times today as well, so not just limited to Answerth.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
2019 averages

Scoring shots/Disposals/Tackles/Marks

Hipwood 3.37 / 9.75 / 1.75 / 3.37
Cameron 3.12 / 13.37 / 2.75 / 3.25
Rayner 2.62 / 9.37 / 2 / 2.25
McStay 1.5 / 10 / 1.5 / 3.5

DeGoey 4.12 / 16.75 / 2.5 / 5.12
Stephenson 2.62 / 15.5 / 2.87 / 5.75
Elliott 2.42 / 11.14 / 2.14 / 4.42
Cox 2.5 / 10 / 0.41 / 4.83

JDG and Stephenson getting more of the ball than anyone in our fwd line.

All four of their forwards taking more marks than any of our forwards.

Hipwood and Rayner with relatively few disposals compared to their scoring shots is a good and bad sign I suppose.

Dan McStay with our most marks on average but fewest scoring shots.

Cameron's numbers stack up OK with our highest disposals and tackles.

Obviously stats don't tell the full story but seeing as our forward line was a big talking point after yesterday thought it would be an interesting exercise.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Good post.

Also the old chestnut :

"Player X should NEVER be selected for the Lions again"

Ridiculous.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
HBF.

It really feels like Witherden and Rayner have regressed a bit.

I'm not sure it is regression with Witho, he had games where he wasted disposals last year. Cam probably has a bit - he isn't having the 15-20 touch games he had infrequently last year.

Mainly I think our expectations for the entire team have increased substantially so deficiencies in players games are becoming more problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back