Status
Not open for further replies.

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is no way Cox will be brought into the team.

What has happened to Cox?

He comes from the same crop as McCluggage and Berry (Ballarat) and made so many sacrifices/worked so hard to work his way through the junior ranks.

He looked composed and poised enough in his early games - what has happened? Not working hard enough or not enough talent?

We desperately need a speedy defender who can also generate run and kick off both feet accurately inside 50.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Putting my money where my mouth is -

Out: Bailey, Rayner

In: Walker, Keays

If we are doing more extensive changes I'd look at dropping Big O and bringing in Wooller to play more of a lead up role. Not ideal as we'd have to get walker to relief ruck.

I'm still concerned that we are short a running defender but I don't think there are guaranteed options in the ressies. Nick Robbo and Bundy don't excite me and I'm loathe to suddenly stack our team with NEAFL regulars when we are 5-3 and still a good chance of going in to the bye at 7-5 or better. Plenty are playing well in the NEAFL but I don't think we can rely on it to provide the requisite level of competition.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Putting my money where my mouth is -

Out: Bailey, Rayner

In: Walker, Keays

If we are doing more extensive changes I'd look at dropping Big O and bringing in Wooller to play more of a lead up role. Not ideal as we'd have to get walker to relief ruck.

I'm still concerned that we are short a running defender but I don't think there are guaranteed options in the ressies. Nick Robbo and Bundy don't excite me and I'm loathe to suddenly stack our team with NEAFL regulars when we are 5-3 and still a good chance of going in to the bye at 7-5 or better. Plenty are playing well in the NEAFL but I don't think we can rely on it to provide the requisite level of competition.

The Crows have Himmelberg as a second ruck so Walker could just follow him into the ruck.

He comes from the same crop as McCluggage and Berry (Ballarat) and made so many sacrifices/worked so hard to work his way through the junior ranks.

He looked composed and poised enough in his early games - what has happened? Not working hard enough or not enough talent?

We desperately need a speedy defender who can also generate run and kick off both feet accurately inside 50.

As said by others, he's well behind other players in the ressies at the moment but has lots of potential.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As said by others, he's well behind other players in the ressies at the moment but has lots of potential.

I think he’ll lift given time in the seniors but he’s not the kind of guy who will take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

talented just can break his way out of a wet paper bag if his life depended on it
makes Cutler look like Pendlebury under even the slightest of pressure
soft

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
talented just can break his way out of a wet paper bag if his life depended on it
soft
Players go through various stages of development where they never look like they're going to make it . And many don't make it .

Not much point worrying about Cox at present because he doesn't have the form to warrant selection . We're going to have to bite the bullet on players like Keays and Wooller sooner or later to see what they offer at Senior level . Others in there like Allison .Hinge ,Ballenden, Fullarton and a couple of others could also debut this year depending on injuries . I reckon they'll bring Mathieson and Walker back this week . Oscar's on thin ice ,Keays must surely be close to replacing Cam .

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
soft
You have a way with words Size Matters that is very demeaning at times. No player on an AFL list has got there by being soft - everything is relative...

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You have a way with words Size Matters that is very demeaning at times. No player on an AFL list has got there by being soft - everything is relative...
Exactly right . Some players seem to get picked on for every error they make and other guys get off scot free . Cutler has been good in the games he's played this year . He made a couple of blues yesterday but we had a few players who made more blues than him . How many guys in our team can we rely on to hardly ever cough it up or make a skill error. Two ,maybe three. You can't have a team full of Mitch Robinsons , you need to have balance across all areas of the game.

So knowing that I'll get howled down I'd rather have Eagles than Walker . He's just as good a grab is harder at it and offers more offensively . Nothing against Walker ,he's a good player on his day and had a couple of great games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need a small forward who can do a proper defense job. We can then move him depending on which of Atkins, Smith, Laird is providing the drive. None of the present crew - Cameron/Rayner/McCarthy - will suit that role in my view.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Everyone bar Collingwood and Geelong falling over the last few weeks and them having GC, Norf, Freo at home and then an undermanned Port?

We lost against North...

We were sitting at 1-3 at that point. It seems we miscalculated the impact 6-6-6 would have.

Changes were made to our gameplan after the north game, we're playing a more contested game built on defense now.

Some older players also replaced in key positions e.g. O'Brien in for Jacobs in ruck and Himmelberg in for Jenkins as forward/ruck.

Now sitting at 5-3.

Looking forward to this one. You guys should be a good challenge on your home deck.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With some of our younger players . Last year we had more holes then this year.
Rayner played half a season with no Cameron as a option. Add Linc McCarthy and now have 3 players to kick to not one. Not the same % kicked to him starved a little down a little on form. All 3 of these guys do not seem to fire in the same game.
Witho as well I think he is down on form and Rich playing best he has for a long time so Witho not the go to guy. Add Berry, McCluggage gone up a grade and cover the backline with Neale/Lyons in the side and the back 6 more settled I think he lost a little. He not the fast player to get up the wing and we have other carry options not always looking for him to do a cute kick.

LionCub29

Senior List
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Despite my tag, my patience with Witherden has reached breaking strain. A dose of the magoos might sharpen him up and remind him that he has 2 or 3 outstanding attributes and a number of glaring inadequacies that he desperately needs to work on.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I’d make the following changes for next week:

Out - McInerney, Rayner, Witherden (all omitted), Bailey (injured)

In - Walker, Keays, Bastinac, C.Lyons

Adelaide aren’t overly strong in the ruck, so I don’t think we need two rucks when one of them, McInerney, isn’t offering a lot. Rayner and Witherden are both horribly out of form bordering on being disinterested.

Walker shouldn’t have been omitted to start with, so he’s an obvious in, plus he or McStay can pinch hit in the ruck if required. Keays would surely offer more than Rayner and deserves his shot. Same as Corey Lyons. Bastinac coming in offers that added experience that can play a nullifying winger role.

I’d make the following changes for next week:

Out - McInerney, Rayner, Witherden (all omitted), Bailey (injured)

In - Walker, Keays, Bastinac, C.Lyons

Adelaide aren’t overly strong in the ruck, so I don’t think we need two rucks when one of them, McInerney, isn’t offering a lot. Rayner and Witherden are both horribly out of form bordering on being disinterested.

Walker shouldn’t have been omitted to start with, so he’s an obvious in, plus he or McStay can pinch hit in the ruck if required. Keays would surely offer more than Rayner and deserves his shot. Same as Corey Lyons. Bastinac coming in offers that added experience that can play a nullifying winger role.

Bailey's unfortunate out means we need Witherden in to maintain balance in defense. Not sure if C.Lyons plays defense in NEAFL, else we'll struggle with too many talls down there.

I'll give Oscar's spot to Wooller, Bailey replaced with Allison (travelling emergency says he's close), Rayner with Keays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back