Changes v Crows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lions27

Club Legend
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought our midfield got monstered especially in the 3rd. Hard to call for heads out of the fwd and back lines when 1 group was under siege and the other weren’t getting a sniff.
What midfielders have we got to stop the rot?
I’m not a fan of the 2 ruck combo either, big O should only play when the opposition is playing 2 rucks.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With some of our younger players . Last year we had more holes then this year.
Rayner played half a season with no Cameron as a option. Add Linc McCarthy and now have 3 players to kick to not one. Not the same % kicked to him starved a little down a little on form. All 3 of these guys do not seem to fire in the same game.
Witho as well I think he is down on form and Rich playing best he has for a long time so Witho not the go to guy. Add Berry, McCluggage gone up a grade and cover the backline with Neale/Lyons in the side and the back 6 more settled I think he lost a little. He not the fast player to get up the wing and we have other carry options not always looking for him to do a cute kick.

Great point. You see Devon Smith get traded and see how he performed a lot better when he wasn’t overshadowed by so much talent. I’m not saying Rayner or Witherden are at his level yet, but you can see the same thing happening.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Out. Bailey, Lester.
In. Walker, Taylor.

Thinking hodge wont play the Freo game.

Oh and out Hipwoods performance against the dogs. In Hipwoods performance against Port. At the end of the day when all is said and done we lost by inaccurate goal kicking. We played like s**t. But that can be fixed.

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
I wonder if we do a change based on Matt Crouch being in doubt? He has been in form and late in the 3rd quarter against port was benched and thats when the Power came back to scare them.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't mind seeing Keays get a chance. We have to make a decision on him come years end so we need to see what he can offer. Also we need to stop Laird getting 30 disposals off half back and setting up the Crows run. Either Keays or Mitch Robinson should play as a defensive forward.

Walker comes straight back in. Fagan and the coaching staff won't make many changes. But guys like Rayner - Witherden and McStay are fast running out of chances, especially with the reserves going so well.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Goals in the 3 losses; Cameron 0, McCarthy 1, McInerney 1, Rayner 2, McStay 3 and Hipwood 4

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For me it would be:

Out - Bailey, Rayner, Lyons, Answerth
In - Robertson, Keays, Berry, Walker

Robertson was great on the weekend and deserves another chance. Keays has been very good all year and I would reward the hard work he has put in. Berry is coming along well and looks like he might be ready to step up. Walker didn't deserve to be dropped in the first place.

I wouldn't mind Allison getting a game as I do rate his ability highly. One to keep an eye on in the second half of the year is Madden as I really like the pace and skill he can bring to the backline. He was quieter on the weekend though and I am not sure there is a promotion available anyway.

Rayner needs to get his hands on the ball more and some time in the reserves is likely to help that. Lyons has gone downhill over the season to date. The way he is playing he shold be in the reserves. Answerth has been given a taste and I am happy to send him back down to practice what he learned.

Oscar could easily go if we decide to go smaller and I agree with many that Witherden could easily be dropped as well. I do see him as part of the long term future though and the more time he can spend with Hodge now the better off we will be in coming years. For the same reasons I wouldn't mind them rotating a few of the younger players through the backline this year.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For me it would be:

Robertson was great on the weekend and deserves another chance. Keays has been very good all year and I would reward the hard work he has put in. Berry is coming along well and looks like he might be ready to step up. Walker didn't deserve to be dropped in the first place.

I wouldn't mind Allison getting a game as I do rate his ability highly. One to keep an eye on in the second half of the year is Madden as I really like the pace and skill he can bring to the backline. He was quieter on the weekend though and I am not sure there is a promotion available anyway.

Rayner needs to get his hands on the ball more and some time in the reserves is likely to help that. Lyons has gone downhill over the season to date. The way he is playing he shold be in the reserves. Answerth has been given a taste and I am happy to send him back down to practice what he learned.

Oscar could easily go if we decide to go smaller and I agree with many that Witherden could easily be dropped as well. I do see him as part of the long term future though and the more time he can spend with Hodge now the better off we will be in coming years. For the same reasons I wouldn't mind them rotating a few of the younger players through the backline this year.
I cant confirm but some one mention T Berry got an injury.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Out. Bailey, Lester.
In. Walker, Taylor.

Thinking hodge wont play the Freo game.

Oh and out Hipwoods performance against the dogs. In Hipwoods performance against Port. At the end of the day when all is said and done we lost by inaccurate goal kicking. We played like ****. But that can be fixed.
Hipwoods Performance: 7 score assists/ 2 goals 5 points/ 4 tackles/4 marks/3 marks inside 50/ 9 kicks/4 handballs/
Admittedly he definately missed 2 goals that he fulffed. 2 of his set shots hit the post! The other 3 could have gone either way.
Summary: Give me those stats from a 21 year old key forward any day who basically had very little support from the other talls in the forward 50!
Suggestion: Look at some "other" of his team mates that went missing and their lack of effort rather than Hippy's. His effort was 100% and we should all appreciate the up and coming signs that Hipwood is giving us.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hipwoods Performance: 7 score assists/ 2 goals 5 points/ 4 tackles/4 marks/3 marks inside 50/ 9 kicks/4 handballs/
Admittedly he definately missed 2 goals that he fulffed. 2 of his set shots hit the post! The other 3 could have gone either way.
Summary: Give me those stats from a 21 year old key forward any day who basically had very little support from the other talls in the forward 50!
Suggestion: Look at some "other" of his team mates that went missing and their lack of effort rather than Hippy's. His effort was 100% and we should all appreciate the up and coming signs that Hipwood is giving us.
I should of wrote "goal kicking performance".

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I should of wrote "goal kicking performance".
He kicked 2 goals 5 points Milux!!! If Cam, Charlie, Dan, Lincoln & Oscar all did the same, we would have won by plenty. That's what I am trying top say...focus on effort and you wouldn't comment on Hippy when you have others not contributing like they should.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He kicked 2 goals 5 points Milux!!! If Cam, Charlie, Dan, Lincoln & Oscar all did the same, we would have won by plenty. That's what I am trying top say...focus on effort and you wouldn't comment on Hippy when you have others not contributing like they should.

He also won us the Port game by kicking 6.1.

I'd love for Hippy to be a more consistent set shot of course, but you are exactly right that plenty of others had poor games.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
For me it would be:

Always appreciate your thoughts Quigley.

I’d prefer to keep Answerth in for a bit longer and drop Witherden for a spell.

Out: Witherden, Rayner, Lyons, Bailey.
Ins: Allison, Keays, T. Berry, Walker.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He also won us the Port game by kicking 6.1.

I'd love for Hippy to be a more consistent set shot of course, but you are exactly right that plenty of others had poor games.
No, he didn't win us the Port game at all in my opinion. Neale was outstanding and got the coach's votes accordingly. Dan, Hugh, Cam, Charlie, Lincoln, Oscar & Eric all made a contribution in the forward line along with good games from Dane, Daniel & a couple of others. To win games you need effort from the 22 selected. WE didn't have that effort on Saturday and that's why we lost the game.

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
No, he didn't win us the Port game at all in my opinion. Neale was outstanding and got the coach's votes accordingly. Dan, Hugh, Cam, Charlie, Lincoln, Oscar & Eric all made a contribution in the forward line along with good games from Dane, Daniel & a couple of others. To win games you need effort from the 22 selected. WE didn't have that effort on Saturday and that's why we lost the game.
Had he kicked 6.1 last Saturday we could well have won....😉

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lol. I'd take that 42 shots on goal any day.

I understand others weren't contributing. We seem to have alot of 'teams playing well so I'll play well' type forwards. Hippys effort I'm not questioning and never have apart from some misplaced words. I did correct myself. If hippy got himself 7 scoring shots each week and kicked 2 of those he wont last at afl level.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hipwood has improved this year ,especially in his contested work and his ability to at least hold his ground in a marking contest. He's also throwing his weight around a little more and those tall bony guys can really hurt.

No one could question his effort ,he puts in more than anyone in our forward line and with another couple of pre seasons could really be something special. His kicking for goal has also improved and maybe Saturday was an aberration in difficult conditions.

I'm unsure what his contract status is but I'd be getting him on something long term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back