Prediction Changes v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what the last couple of weeks have shown is we need to earmark brander as that mobile key defender, a Darcy Moore type. Cant rely on Schofield for ever, and i think when barrass comes back you could still play the 3 talls with McGovern as McGovern can play as that floater and brander is quick and mobile enough to play smaller.

Not a betting man but wouldnt be surprised to see either J Cameron or Ahchee on another flight.
Says the bloke who put bets on Venners to pick up more possessions than he ever has previuosly last week with a bet on 20+ and then doubled down with a more ridiculous one at 25+, said it was money in the bank and emplored the whole board to do the same by posting up the odds.
Have you ever said anything around here that wasnt 100% bullshit?
Don't answer that, it was rhetorical.

So after finally getting some balance up forward, the selection committee once again reverts to replacing a small with a key position player.

Better yet, it's going to be wet and windy in Adelaide on Saturday:

R10-Forecast.jpg

Throughout last season selection was consistently a 7-6-7-R2 [ie. 7 defenders, 6 midfielders, 7 forwards, 2 rucks] approach.

This weeks selection, upon first appearance looks like 7-5-9-R1. It's pretty clear to see there is some risk taking going on here.

The obvious conclusion is that one of the forwards (likely Cripps from recent form) will play more as a midfielder than forward. The other consideration is that O.Allen will stay in defence; with Nelson acting as a midfielder, only going into defence when O.Allen is in the ruck.

That would effectively leave the team with a regulation 7-7-7-R1, which is a far more balanced setup.

However...

Somebody tell me just what the addition of Waterman will provide for the team in a wet-weather slog other than providing the opposition with a means to create a spare off the back of stoppages? He won't be able to take marks, won't win ground balls, won't win contested possessions, won't win clearances and will touch the ball barely 10 times.

On the other hand we have someone available who averages more than 7 contested possessions, 2 clearances and 5 score involvements per game at AFL level. Someone who is also averaging more disposals per game than any other player in the reserves team, has taken mark of the year and is the greatest exponent of the rocket handball in his generation.

Seriously, what else can Ah Chee do to get a place?

idk-simpsons.gif

Dylan82 Good read....100% agree Waterman selection makes 0 sense in the predicted conditions let alone 666 rule. Especially with Oscar Allen coming back fwd in the pinch hitting ruck role.

The other thing that doesnt make sense only 1 emergency flying across in these predicted conditions. Surely another couple come across on another flight.

Dylan82 although I am probably just as surprised as you are to not see Ah Chee - i think we may have earmarked Waterman on the wing this week. Hutchings has been playing that Masto role but you’d expect he plays a shut down role this week.

Or we want him to run with Lynch, who athletically he seems a similar match to.

I can’t see much of a direct role for him this week otherwise. Which for his sake I hope we have for him, otherwise he might as well play at WAFL.

FWIW, the game isn’t til 4 Adelaide time- the rain may have gone by then, but you would still expect it to be a greasy game.

Lots of negativity around our year and all our quarters we’ve lost. We’ve lost 6 of those quarters by under a kick. Which to me says we are in the fight more often than not, minus the port and Geelong games where we just didn’t rock up mentally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the availability, changes are pretty standard I would've thought.

Schofield if fit is in until Barrass comes back, the exact reason he's on the list.

I'm not Nelsons biggest fan, but he does provide a bit of dash and mongrel. Hopefully ball use has improved. Good opportunity to give him another chance.

I like Waterman in the side and don't get the angst against him. We played our best footy last year when he was in the team, is a perfect foil for JK and JD imo.

The predicted weather maybe the only issue but doesn't look to me like we're overly tall. I do agree Ah Chee of Allen probably deserve a crack at some stage and it does look a good chance to give one of them a go, but Waterman over either isn't toys out of the cot worthy for me.

So after finally getting some balance up forward, the selection committee once again reverts to replacing a small with a key position player.

Better yet, it's going to be wet and windy in Adelaide on Saturday:

View attachment 679161

Throughout last season selection was consistently a 7-6-7-R2 [ie. 7 defenders, 6 midfielders, 7 forwards, 2 rucks] approach.

This weeks selection, upon first appearance looks like 7-5-9-R1. It's pretty clear to see there is some risk taking going on here.

The obvious conclusion is that one of the forwards (likely Cripps from recent form) will play more as a midfielder than forward. The other consideration is that O.Allen will stay in defence; with Nelson acting as a midfielder, only going into defence when O.Allen is in the ruck.

That would effectively leave the team with a regulation 7-7-7-R1, which is a far more balanced setup.

However...

Somebody tell me just what the addition of Waterman will provide for the team in a wet-weather slog other than providing the opposition with a means to create a spare off the back of stoppages? He won't be able to take marks, won't win ground balls, won't win contested possessions, won't win clearances and will touch the ball barely 10 times.

On the other hand we have someone available who averages more than 7 contested possessions, 2 clearances and 5 score involvements per game at AFL level. Someone who is also averaging more disposals per game than any other player in the reserves team, has taken mark of the year and is the greatest exponent of the rocket handball in his generation.

Seriously, what else can Ah Chee do to get a place?

View attachment 679208

Agree with alot of your points, but don't we have 6 mids in the selected side (Yeo, Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Gaff, Hutchings) which was the finals setup last year?

I think waterman needs to start hitting the scoreboard if he is going to stay in the side long term.

I picture him as a Staker type. Doesnt do a lot but can provide a link and every now and then get on the end of a few goals.

Not ideal conditions for him this week but if his tank is as good as they say he can chop out a few guys in the middle/wing and provide us targets out of defence.

Hope he can clunk a few.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Picked them
I think waterman needs to start hitting the scoreboard if he is going to stay in the side long term.

I picture him as a Staker type. Doesnt do a lot but can provide a link and every now and then get on the end of a few goals.

Not ideal conditions for him this week but if his tank is as good as they say he can chop out a few guys in the middle/wing and provide us targets out of defence.

Hope he can clunk a few.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Seems to be his best hope. In reality he is the size of a bigger mid and well short ot KP size. he just doesnt seem to have the game to play the mid role but should work on a high forward/mid - wing role to me

Picked them

Seems to be his best hope. In reality he is the size of a bigger mid and well short ot KP size. he just doesnt seem to have the game to play the mid role but should work on a high forward/mid - wing role to me
Problem is his kicking isn’t good enough to deliver inside 50 effectively.

well our best 22 is
Shep Barras Cole
Jetta Gov Hurn
Gaff Sheed Redden
Cripps Darling Rioli
Petch JK Ryan

Followers Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey
Int: Duggan, Hutchings, Oscar Allen, Hickey

Therefore missing Barras, Jetta, Hickey, Nic Nat.
Lets see how Waterman and Nelson go. Given we have 4 dangerous smalls, Cripps, Ryan, Rioli and Petch we are okay up forward, provided the big boys can bring it ground.

Don't "dislike" the ins.

Schofield - Is well past his prime but was a no brainer this week as we were never going to leave Allen on Walker.

Nelson - Meh, would have preferred Rotham but he's not terrible IMO.

Waterman - Big fan of Jake, but don't see the sense in bringing him in for a wet slog. As Dylan has pointed out, the Ah Chee inclusion would have been better.

I don’t mind changes. Was hoping Waterman and Rotham were in’s. Waterman and Nelson almost as good. Hopefully both of them set an example of hunger at the ball/man to the rest of the team. Nelson needs to go real hard in particular. Hoping Hutchings gets a tag role.

What's the deal with emergencies? If the travelling side lists them, do they always travel? Can you list 4 then travel with 1? Does it serve as Ducks and Drakes for the opposition? Is it a form of 'lite reward' for Wafl players to be mentioned in emergencies? Never fully understood it.

Does it mean in theory, that any or all of AhChee, Cameron and Smith may turn up to Adelaide? There's a cut off time obviously. As the infamous fish n'chip vendor once said "can someone please explain?"

Anyway, am also disappointed at not getting to see AhChee play...and was hoping to see Rotham again.
But I don't mind Waterman at his best- if we're not playing too tall across the park.
And will be curious to see if Nelson has gained some footy smarts under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back