Prediction Changes v Crows

Outlaws

Rookie
May 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Given the availability, changes are pretty standard I would've thought.

Schofield if fit is in until Barrass comes back, the exact reason he's on the list.

I'm not Nelsons biggest fan, but he does provide a bit of dash and mongrel. Hopefully ball use has improved. Good opportunity to give him another chance.

I like Waterman in the side and don't get the angst against him. We played our best footy last year when he was in the team, is a perfect foil for JK and JD imo.

The predicted weather maybe the only issue but doesn't look to me like we're overly tall. I do agree Ah Chee of Allen probably deserve a crack at some stage and it does look a good chance to give one of them a go, but Waterman over either isn't toys out of the cot worthy for me.
Waterman play similar to Hanson run up to wing and wide give more space for JK & JD -marking power +tackle

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
If the weather is poor during or immediatley leading up to the game, which is looking very likely, then I think we put this one down for a loss. Hopefully not by too much and with no injuries.

I am not normally one for doom and gloom but when was the last time we played well in poor conditions?

I think our home game against the Bulldogs last year wasn't a great day weather wise, but that was maybe a bit of wind and a very light passing shower or two.

We play a kicking game where we take advantage of our opportunities when we get the ball and back our talls (fwd and back) to win contests in the air. Take that away (and throw in Darling's form slump) and I don't see how we win. We don't have a wet weather plan.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
If the weather is poor during or immediatley leading up to the game, which is looking very likely, then I think we put this one down for a loss. Hopefully not by too much and with no injuries.

I am not normally one for doom and gloom but when was the last time we played well in poor conditions?

I think our home game against the Bulldogs last year wasn't a great day weather wise, but that was maybe a bit of wind and a very light passing shower or two.

We play a kicking game where we take advantage of our opportunities when we get the ball and back our talls (fwd and back) to win contests in the air. Take that away (and throw in Darling's form slump) and I don't see how we win. We don't have a wet weather plan.
I have to kinda disagree. Adelaide are shocking in the wet. If we were to play anyone in the rain I'd chose Adelaide. They're very tall and rely on a kick-mark game. I expect West Coast to have learnt their wet weather lessons by now. I'm marking this game as a win.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Interesting!! If the Crows were to flog us Jenkins would be the out the back who kicks 5.I think hes a softc##k but im glad hes out.Ive always said their forward line was soft and vastly overrated.When they smelt blood in the water look out.But that Bully Boy type of footy doesnt stack up in finals. [ just ask us ] They are trying to play our brand of footy but if we are on song we are better than them.All of our "ins" are goers.We've come to play and this game is going to be VERY tight.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Schoey plays small.
In the sense that he is getting out-marked.
I know what you are saying but his servability and closing speed are noticeably down this year and he is caught behind all the time.
I reckon Tex is the most overrated spud in the land so as long as Schoey puts some body on him and doesnt gift him any easy touches or scores early, he will make him his bitch. If he lags him to the ball and Tex gets a few confidence boosting touches then he could be made to look good.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
So after finally getting some balance up forward, the selection committee once again reverts to replacing a small with a key position player.

Better yet, it's going to be wet and windy in Adelaide on Saturday:

View attachment 679161

Throughout last season selection was consistently a 7-6-7-R2 [ie. 7 defenders, 6 midfielders, 7 forwards, 2 rucks] approach.

This weeks selection, upon first appearance looks like 7-5-9-R1. It's pretty clear to see there is some risk taking going on here.

The obvious conclusion is that one of the forwards (likely Cripps from recent form) will play more as a midfielder than forward. The other consideration is that O.Allen will stay in defence; with Nelson acting as a midfielder, only going into defence when O.Allen is in the ruck.

That would effectively leave the team with a regulation 7-7-7-R1, which is a far more balanced setup.

However...

Somebody tell me just what the addition of Waterman will provide for the team in a wet-weather slog other than providing the opposition with a means to create a spare off the back of stoppages? He won't be able to take marks, won't win ground balls, won't win contested possessions, won't win clearances and will touch the ball barely 10 times.

On the other hand we have someone available who averages more than 7 contested possessions, 2 clearances and 5 score involvements per game at AFL level. Someone who is also averaging more disposals per game than any other player in the reserves team, has taken mark of the year and is the greatest exponent of the rocket handball in his generation.

Seriously, what else can Ah Chee do to get a place?

View attachment 679208
"Barely 10 touches" eh?? Mmmmm! Big tank,good mark and good work ethic; i rate him well above AhChee.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
I have to kinda disagree. Adelaide are shocking in the wet. If we were to play anyone in the rain I'd chose Adelaide. They're very tall and rely on a kick-mark game. I expect West Coast to have learnt their wet weather lessons by now. I'm marking this game as a win.
I dont think you can say we have learnt our wet weather lessons until we actually play decently in the wet.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
How many more chances does Darling get?
death coast.jpg

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Rain forecast for the morning and should clear up by 4pm.
Adelaide have just lost Lynch to a hamstring injury leaving them with a very average, out of form forward line
They will be lucky to kick 8 goals which should mean a WCE Win.

Back