Prediction Changes v Crows

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Just my opinion but if Rourke wants to have as minimal output offensively as he has then he needs to keep Petracca/Oliver level of players to 15 disposals and not Langdon who is a different level of player. Particularly as wet nights aren’t really suited to speedy wingman role.

Unfortunately he doesn’t have the ability in my opinion to be best 22. Not with our level of midfielders and last years elim forever sticks in my mind. With a full list Smith/Hunter/Treloar will be spending plenty of time on that wing and Rourke isn’t able to play forward. At all.

If you want Roarke to move inside you need to take out an inside mid. Is keeping an oppo mid worth reducing our own midfield by 20%?

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looks like the rain will arrive after 1pm in Ballarat so it's important to get off to a good start.

Scoring wise access all matches at Eureka 53% of scores have been to the Northern End (left of screen) while 47% to the Southern End.

However it looks wind conditions will be similar to the GWS vs. GC match earlier in the year which saw 82% of scores to the Southern End.

Last edited:
Given that we aren't allowed to have an opinion on players, selection, the coach, match day tactics...nor are we allowed to be critical of anything to do with the club...I've decided to permanently close all preview, game day and autopsy threads and any other threads where the club may be criticised. Therefore the COVID thread will be the only thread unlocked for you to post in.

Or...we could stop telling other posters what they are allowed to think and say and let respectful free speech bloom on here.

Hard choice.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Roarke is copping a lot of unnecessary grief here. There are some roles on the field that simply do not get reflected in the stats. Comparing the disposal numbers of him and Lipinski makes no sense as they are clearly not asked to play the same way. Roarke’s deserved criticism in the past but I think he’s been solid lately.

I think Treloar coming back in might be what pushes Roarke out - but it’s one the MC will have to think about. I’d be reluctant to move Bailey Smith out of his current role as he’s come back into form. And neither Treloar or B. Smith are as defensive minded as Roarke is these days…and I’m not sure you’d want them to be.

If people insist on melting can we please stick to Hannan who, despite a couple of goals, still did very little for me against the Dees.

Given that we aren't allowed to have an opinion on players, selection, the coach, match day tactics...nor are we allowed to be critical of anything to do with the club...I've decided to permanently close all preview, game day and autopsy threads and any other threads where the club may be criticised. Therefore the COVID thread will be the only thread unlocked for you to post in.

Or...we could stop telling other posters what they are allowed to think and say and let respectful free speech bloom on here.

Hard choice.
Good plan Mutt :)
This post is gold
Fair enough.

I'm not saying anyone has to like it, or agree with it, and you're more than welcome to think of anything as stupid - I just don't understand the need to belittle the exercise, or the need to tell people who were enjoying chatting about Bont vs Grant vs others earlier, that any such duscussion is really dumb.

I couldn't see anyone interjecting into a discussion in real life to tell a group of others that what they're talking about is stupid, but online it seems to happen ... often.

Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais bit.

Just my opinion but if Rourke wants to have as minimal output offensively as he has then he needs to keep Petracca/Oliver level of players to 15 disposals and not Langdon who is a different level of player. Particularly as wet nights aren’t really suited to speedy wingman role.

Unfortunately he doesn’t have the ability in my opinion to be best 22. Not with our level of midfielders and last years elim forever sticks in my mind. With a full list Smith/Hunter/Treloar will be spending plenty of time on that wing and Rourke isn’t able to play forward. At all.
Beat opposition mids head to head and have the failsafe of having their wingers tagged if the inside battle is lost. I don't see the issue with that.

I don't think Smith makes the team when Treloar (and potentially Vandermeer) returns, but that's also not to say that Roarke is a worse option than the other wing options we've tried with Daniel, JJ, Hannan etc. all playing on the wing, or other options outside the 22 like Lipinski

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I think Roarke is copping a lot of unnecessary grief here. There are some roles on the field that simply do not get reflected in the stats. Comparing the disposal numbers of him and Lipinski makes no sense as they are clearly not asked to play the same way. Roarke’s deserved criticism in the past but I think he’s been solid lately.

I think Treloar coming back in might be what pushes Roarke out - but it’s one the MC will have to think about. I’d be reluctant to move Bailey Smith out of his current role as he’s come back into form. And neither Treloar or B. Smith are as defensive minded as Roarke is these days…and I’m not sure you’d want them to be.

If people insist on melting can we please stick to Hannan who, despite a couple of goals, still did very little for me against the Dees.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have a better idea of what role players like Roarke and Scott are being asked to do? No one is going to come on here and say they are better players than someone like Lipinski but clearly they can do things that the coaches/system require. Things that even a better player may not be able to do to the same level.

Are we at risk of losing some team cohesion with players coming back? Martin and Treloar yes, Vandermeir no, full forward is functioning well. I just wish Naughty would fix his kicking, it could cost us a final.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Really, I don't think its that cut and dry. This is not the Martin of 5 years ago. This is a limited Martin who will give his all yet there has been signs his body is not holding up, apart from a few solid games early. Its a strong possibility that Hagen will be playing finals instead of Martin. Bevo may prefer it as he likes mobile rucks. It could be a blessing.
Hagen?????

SupercededMan

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Hard choice.
What a load of ... " not allowed to have an opinion on players, selection, the coach, tactics ..." yada yada yada.

This board is full of opinions. And you allow them. Rightly so, too. I (amongst others) am critical of the hyper-critical whinges that rarely deviate in tone after a loss or when selections don't make 'sense' to the author.

Stop spouting rubbish.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2011
WARRNAMBOOL, VICTORIA
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is a very good kick and has pretty good vision. For that to be used to best effect he needs space. However he's too slow to be played on the outside.
The alternative is to play him on the inside but he doesn't get through enough of the heavy physical work. Misses tackles and isn't strong enough to break tackles like the other midfielders. His lack of pace also makes it hard for him to play half back or half forward successfully.

This may be why he can dominate in the VFL (younger age profile of up-and-comers = less physically developed so easier to dominate them in close) but is often found wanting when promoted to the seniors.

He's too good to be stuck in the VFL for his whole career but it's hard to see where his future role is for the Dogs if he can't get a regular game with Treloar and Dunkley out. Garcia has already gone past him as a preferred inside player.

He may develop into a useful best 22 player somewhere and will no doubt have some good games but he's now 23 and unlikely to have any huge improvement left in him.
I think you may have something there

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
More positive on Monica - over the last 12 months he has been moved onto the ball and into the guts. Has gone from outside to inside and has developed really well.

One more preseason and he will be ready. He will get quicker like Dunkley has but it is his skills under pressure that will make him. His size is great and will get better use out of that if he can improve his tackling as much as he has improved his inside work.

Is now getting good numbers in New role and influencing games - see his VFL game against Swans against a AFL midfield was very good. Showed his ability under pressure and he stepped up - more than West (who I like also but has not had the improvement this year). And unlike Hayes and Cavarro who look like very good Vfl players, Monica looks clearly too good for Vfl.

Of course with Dunkley out, I would hope he would have played but he was given first crack and didn't take it. In a fully fit team he is sitting behind two AA level players in similar roles in Macrae and Dunkley and while over the season there should be room. McLean also competes with him when fit.

Unfortunately for him and fortunately for us Smith going in the guts has worked brilliantly and this has kept him out and allow a faster player in Garcia to come in and do the job that was asked of him and as a great fill in for Trelor.

It is more about roles for Bevo than ability. On ability, I would have him in the team as a half forward - he has proven he can hit the scoreboard, gets into space and rotate him through the guts. I would have him ahead of Scott and R.Smith but not for the roles Bevo has set for them.

It's a long season and if he works on the few things we all see - tackling and defensive work he will play enough to be valuable.

The harshness is that we have the best and deepest midfield in the comp - the hardest to get into - he would get more games in most other team's midfield. He would have very good trade value for a peripheral player in good team or Ok player in another or part of a points upgrade.

BeMoreBont

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting discussion re Lipinski. I think his main issue is he has all the tools to be an elite inside midfielder, with the exception hardness/aggression. He's hands are elite and Libba like at VFL level. Finds alot of footy, gets first hands on it constantly.

The intensity he plays at allows him to dominate VFL footy.

Having said that, he's never really had a decent run of games as an inside midfielder in our AFL side (for obvious reasons). I could see him becoming a very handy player if played in his best position for a sustained period.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who’s suggesting we rest him during finals?

My bad, I (miss)read this as suggesting resting him in week 2 of finals. But I see you are saying win week 1 and we'd all get the week off. Fair plan 👍

How about a 5 game stint with 2 breaks in there?

R22
R23
Week off
QF
Week off
PF
GF

If it came down to a battle between Martin & Marra for a spot on the team, I’d drop Hannan and then someone could post that Mexican girl picture from 3 years ago

What a load of ... " not allowed to have an opinion on players, selection, the coach, tactics ..." yada yada yada.

This board is full of opinions. And you allow them. Rightly so, too. I (amongst others) am critical of the hyper-critical whinges that rarely deviate in tone after a loss or when selections don't make 'sense' to the author.

Stop spouting rubbish.
QED

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In honour of this week's changes I present to you the Bulldogs Musical team of the century:

B: (Ronnie)Wood Keath Richards
HB: Harrison Penny Lane
C: The Notorious B.I.G.G.S Kham-ye West
HF: Osborne Cordy REO Gronewegen
F: Ray Charles Bandy
FOL: (The)Sweet Aker(Dacca) Libba-ace
INT: Crossy Wills Stack & Young
Coach: MacCartney
Superfans: Dizzy Gillespie, Chicago

Back