Unofficial Preview Changes v Dockers Round 21 @ Optus Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm assuming that the squad announced earlier this week will be the only players available to play.

Emergencies v Hawks- Jaxon Prior, Keidean Coleman(medi sub), Deven Robertson, Connor Ballenden.

Outs- Grant Birchall, Ryan Lester, Jack Payne, Jarrod Berry.

Ins- Jaxon Prior, Deven Robertson, Connor Ballenden, Keidean Coleman.

Top 4 still a slim chance if Port lose to the Giants tonight, they also play the Dogs in round 23.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ah Chee down back, Birchall dropped and Dev or Joyce brought in

Prior for Lester (Fremantle are quick)

No need for Ballenden as a tall. Not convinced of Kiddy down back either

No spot for TBerry

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think we have a single player we can bring in that will really affect anything. I'd like to get Payne, Lester and Birch out of the team but will we make the backline better with 3 changes when we already have Madden down there who lacks experience? Not sure about that.

Can we replace our entire midfield's current performane to their ball hunting best from last year?

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm assuming that the squad announced earlier this week will be the only players available to play.

Emergencies v Hawks- Jaxon Prior, Keidean Coleman(medi sub), Deven Robertson, Connor Ballenden.

Top 4 still a slim chance if Port lose to the Giants tonight, they also play the Dogs in round 23.
Sydney top 4

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Sydney top 4
Gee I didn't even think of the Swans while posting the OP, top 4 done and dusted for us then, looking at the ladder unless we lose all 3 remaining games it is likely we finish 5th or 6th and get a home Elimination Final... lots of teams in the running for 7th and 8th >

7th. Eagles- 40
8th. Giants- 34 (game to play this round)
9th. Bombers- 32
10th. Tigers- 32 (game to play this round)
11th. Blues- 32
12th. Dockers- 32 (game to play this round)
13th. Saints- 32

I'd want to avoid the Tigers as they could have troops returning for finals and the Giants look in pretty good form, it would be so disheartening to go straight out, against the Tigers would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

md20

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont agree with Berry being dropped. He needs a consistent run at it.
I must be the only one that see's him getting close to breaking into form.

And no im not being biased because my profile picture or whatever you call it is predominantly J. Berry..

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking forward to getting the likes of Rayner, Hipwood, Adams, Gardiner and Answerth back next year, plus a full pre season into guys clearly under done such as Neale, JBerry and Cockatoo and some of the younger guys e.g. Dev Robertson and Kiddy Coleman plus the addition of a couple draft picks. Should sure up our 22 nicely and improve our depth.

For this week though I don't see much waiting in the wings to improve our best 22. I'd like to see Dev back in with Birchall out and Ah Chee shifted down back again. Birchall at this point is a big liability. For those calling for Jarrod Berry to be dropped, he needs to keep playing senior footy to regain fitness and confidence. If we can get him back to even half of his best output come finals he'll be an asset.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Freo are a very quick team but capable of making some horrible errors. We'll need to bring the intensity around the ball unlike the last 4 weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Freo are a very quick team but capable of making some horrible errors. We'll need to bring the intensity around the ball unlike the last 4 weeks
1627810631526.png

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

I’ve given your question from the previous threads some thought, but also want to address your outs and ins.

Ballenden is not a like for like replacement for Payne. Payne is faster and stronger, and will eventually be able to play body on body on the gorillas.

Ballenden is better suited to play a similar role as Andrews, where he doesn’t have to play on the best KPF, can zone off and come in as a third man and intercept.

If you want to bring Ballenden in, Andrews needs to play a more accountable role, which he’s pretty poor at, against the good KPF’s.

Luckily Fremantle don’t really have top tier KPF’s.

I’m all for dropping Birchall, and bringing Prior in.

I believe we need Robertson in, and he has to be given more time and responsibility on ball through the midfield.

But I don’t believe dropping Berry is the answer here.

I’m more inclined to drop Ah Chee, start Bailey up forward, and have the mids rotate up forward when one of the small forwards need a rest.

We do need Berry to play in to form and fitness.

Heading in to next season, with Hipwood’s injury, we need a mature, starting ruck, and we push McInerney forward to play as the deepest forward and relieving ruck.

I’d be inclined to move Madden in to Starcevich’s role, and give Starcevich more of an attacking, running role. Birchall retires, and Prior comes in to the defensive unit.

Unless we trade in a best 22 quality midfielder with pace and who is a good kick, I’d be looking to go to the draft and build for when Zorko, Neale and Lyons retire.

Berry has next year to regain fitness and show some form and improve his skills and game sense, otherwise I’d be looking to move on from Berry.

Up forward, you would hope Rayner and Cockatoo are both fit, and are able to rotate through the midfield.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Heading in to next season, with Hipwood’s injury, we need a mature, starting ruck, and we push McInerney forward to play as the deepest forward and relieving ruck.
Just on this one, assuming Hipwood comes in for Fullerton, are you dropping any of the current tall forwards?

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
In- Robertson, Prior
Out- Birchall, Madden

B Starcevich Payne Lester
HB Rich Andrews Ah’Chee
C Bailey Lyons Mcluaggage
HF Zorko Daniher Cockatoo
F McCarthy McStay Cameron
FOLL: Mclnerney Robertson Neale
INTER: Robinson, J.Berry, Fullatron, Prior
Sub: Madden

In: Robertson, Coleman
Out: Birchall ("Rest"), Madden (Sub)

I like Prior in too as Mikevk123 suggested, but think we're desperate for more defensive pressure at ground level and am confident Coleman could do just that. We need fast defenders against Fremantle.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In: Robertson, Coleman
Out: Birchall ("Rest"), Madden (Sub)

I like Prior in too as Mikevk123 suggested, but think we're desperate for more defensive pressure at ground level and am confident Coleman could do just that. We need fast defenders against Fremantle.

I just worry about Coleman one on one. He’s deplorable at contested footy. Also his ball use under pressure in the seniors has been very poor this year.

If he’s going to make it I think he still has a lot of improving to do At reserves level.

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking forward to getting the likes of Rayner, Hipwood, Adams, Gardiner and Answerth back next year, plus a full pre season into guys clearly under done such as Neale, JBerry and Cockatoo and some of the younger guys e.g. Dev Robertson and Kiddy Coleman plus the addition of a couple draft picks. Should sure up our 22 nicely and improve our depth.

For this week though I don't see much waiting in the wings to improve our best 22. I'd like to see Dev back in with Birchall out and Ah Chee shifted down back again. Birchall at this point is a big liability. For those calling for Jarrod Berry to be dropped, he needs to keep playing senior footy to regain fitness and confidence. If we can get him back to even half of his best output come finals he'll be an asset.

I am all for Birchall getting dropped BUT there is no way he will be dropped, He might/hopefully be managed due to travel issues, BUT he won't be dropped.
It is a real shame there is no consistent VFL footy at the moment, Because J Berry could of really done with a month of VFL footy heading into the finals.
surely surely Dev comes back this week, his hunger and contested ball work would of been handy on Sunday.
Just a side note in our massive win V the Cats we had no Birchall or Lester. our back 6 were Andrews, Starc, Rich, Payne, Adams, Madden

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we need to take a risk if we want to go far in the finals, and try out a 2 ruck system again. So Archie in. Darcy is one of the best rucks in the comp and I don't think Oscar can handle him alone.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just want to see some excitement back. Watching the Lions the past 6 weeks has been quite boring & laconic.
Especially when you see games like Swans-Dons and how Collingwood play attacking footy through the middle.

Birchall won't get dropped, so likely to be unchanged here. Maybe Dev will come back in for Ah Chee, but just guessing here.

Reality is that we don't have much cap space either, so our development has to come from what is on our current list + draft. Here's hoping Melbourne bow out in straight sets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back