Preview Changes v Essendon - Round 15, 2021

You'd have to think he goes to Merrett or Parish. He plays his best football when he's made accountable for a quality opponent.

Don't like the midfield balance with both he and Viney in there, feel as tho one has to find a role elsewhere and just be part of the rotation and not a full time mid. Oliver and Viney are useless anywhere else and Trac is too valuable, leaves Harmes as the odd man out and only player capable of being a half forward.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Don't like the midfield balance with both he and Viney in there, feel as tho one has to find a role elsewhere and just be part of the rotation and not a full time mid. Oliver and Viney are useless anywhere else and Trac is too valuable, leaves Harmes as the odd man out and only player capable of being a half forward.
I dont know s**t about football but couldn't harmes do a negating role while oliver and viney clash heads over the ball? As for Trac, I don't mind him playing forward a bit sort of like Dusty, "impact player".

Again I don't know anything about anything but I want all those four midfielders in the side.

Goody says Viney is definitely playing btw.

I dont know sh*t about football but couldn't harmes do a negating role while oliver and viney clash heads over the ball? As for Trac, I don't mind him playing forward a bit sort of like Dusty, "impact player".

Again I don't know anything about anything but I want all those four midfielders in the side.

Goody says Viney is definitely playing btw.

Harmes , Oliver and Viney are all somewhat plodders, Trac needs to be in there as a point of difference (or someone else with some sort of pace) for when we do actually win a centre clearance.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Harmes , Oliver and Viney are all somewhat plodders, Trac needs to be in there as a point of difference (or someone else with some sort of pace) for when we o actually win a centre clearance.
Ahh I got you, a bit of that "outside speed and class"... That's all you had to say brother!

Ahh I got you, a bit of that "outside speed and class"... That's all you had to say brother!

Yea the others can't burst away like Trac can, it may only happen once or twice a game but it can generate easy goals.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Harmes , Oliver and Viney are all somewhat plodders, Trac needs to be in there as a point of difference (or someone else with some sort of pace) for when we do actually win a centre clearance.

None of those guys you listed are slow but agree they are all very similar players. Tracs point of difference is he is willing to absorb a tackle and release someone better than the other 3, also he is a more penetrating kick.

None of those guys you listed are slow but agree they are all very similar players. Tracs point of difference is he is willing to absorb a tackle and release someone better than the other 3, also he is a more penetrating kick.

Oliver doesn't have burst , neither does Viney. I must be watching a different game if you think they do.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver doesn't have burst , neither does Viney. I must be watching a different game if you think they do.

Oliver absolutely does and has showed it more as the year has gone on - Viney is very quick over 20m. I’d argue Trac isn’t even the fastest of the 4 but he’s the most powerful. Certainly none of them are treacle like a Brock McLean type.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think the main problem is all 4 of them want to absorb a tackle and dish off, we don't have a player who can get on the move and in space to be damaging

Oliver absolutely does and has showed it more as the year has gone on - Viney is very quick over 20m. I’d argue Trac isn’t even the fastest of the 4 but he’s the most powerful. Certainly none of them are treacle like a Brock McLean type.

Can't see any of what you describe for the life of me.

Oliver is a one or two step player who then handballs or kicks nearly always. Any sort of speed Viney has is made up on pure grit and determination, he's more the type who will grind someone into the turf and maintain a similar pace throughout.

Trac has the fend off and ability to burst away from packs, he might not be any quicker than Viney or Oliver at top speed but he gets to his far quicker than they do. I'd almost bet my life on it that he's faster over 10m than at least 80% of the players on our list.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would say Trac is definitely slower than either Viney or Oliver, he just has 100 times the agility, and is so much harder to tackle off of 1 step. That isn't so much a factor of how quickly he moves across the surface of the earth, it is more giant ass he has keeping him balanced and strong through the core.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Viney, Oliver, Trac and Harmes are the four I want as the midfield rotation. One on the bench or up forward and the other three in there.

Nothing grinds my gears more than us starting a centre bounce with some combination of Pickett, Jordon and Sparrow as the mids.

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
Viney, Oliver, Trac and Harmes are the four I want as the midfield rotation. One on the bench or up forward and the other three in there.

Nothing grinds my gears more than us starting a centre bounce with some combination of Pickett, Jordon and Sparrow as the mids.

I like Pickett in the centre here and there.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like Pickett in the centre here and there.

Very occasionally it's ok, sometimes Trac might be forward and one of the others having a blow on the bench but that should be a rare exception (barring injury). My issue is when for some reason 2/3 or 3/3 of our starting midfield is the B team. With limited interchange rotations you should be picking your best mix for the centre square and having them in there whenever possible.

Our centre clearance stats are abysmal for the talent of clearance players we have, I don't think mixing and matching in there is the best way to improve that.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
call me crazy but you play the best players for each position and our set up. if that means our 5th best inside mid but 10th overall misses because our 26th rated player plays that position better then so be it. Also * playing Brown or Weidman if either hasn't showed s**t for 2 months. the team/Fritta now suffers from needing to play bigs to play bigs when we already have TMac Gawn Jacko who all rotate through the forward line. Let those 2 clowns kick bags for a month again before letting either play.

Surely we could play him in the Melksham role at half forward that Sparrow failed miserably at against the Pies.
Yeah play Harmes in that role

Also, I reckon Jordon should be a wingman full time opposite Langdon. Nothing against Gus who's busted his arse to try and make it work but Jordon is an upgrade looking ahead imo. Probably wont happen but Gus would be the player I'd have make room for Viney in our best 22 for the remainder of this season.
Brayshaw is playing a pretty important role in the side. Sparrow is the easy out for Viney. Harmes and Jordon to rotate through the middle, wing, half forward and bench.

I reckon you're a little off the mark here.

None of them are 'explosive', but they do have the ability to break free of tackles with a power/speed combo over 5-10 metres.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah play Harmes in that role
Someone on here was making the argument a week or two ago that Melk's 4 touches were impactful if he was kicking inside 50.

As much as I cannot fault Horse's heart, an exceptional inside 50 kick he is not.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania

This.

Play your best starting mids at each centre bounce. Harmes/Trac rotate half forward Leave Oliver and Viney in the guts unless having a spell on the bench.

For me Oliver needs to stay outside the contest and receive, let Viney and Trac do the hard stuff.

HB17

Debutant
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
This.

Play your best starting mids at each centre bounce. Harmes/Trac rotate half forward Leave Oliver and Viney in the guts unless having a spell on the bench.

For me Oliver needs to stay outside the contest and receive, let Viney and Trac do the hard stuff.

Yes, let's leave the best extractor in the comp on the outside the contest..

Back