Preview Changes v Essendon - Round 15, 2021

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well Viney is confirmed as being in (I did not notice if he had been declared before) in this interview: about 5mins in.

I think it is important that the team can rotate players through the middle it just makes it that much harder for other teams to counter. Being less predictable is what I am trying to say.

Yeah but you’ve never seen a Melbourne one. None of us has
Apropos of my previous response, I should say that the '60 and of course the '64 GF's are still very vivid memories, but I do need some more memorable moments!

I reckon you're a little off the mark here.

None of them are 'explosive', but they do have the ability to break free of tackles with a power/speed combo over 5-10 metres.

I think I'm spot on funnily enough, and you're a little off the mark. ;)

Oliver breaks a tackles but he doesn't run away from anyone. He's an absolute turtle when it comes to short area speed imo. He is a very small strider also which doesn't help.

His reflex's are second to none and make up for it however.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Oliver breaks a tackles but he doesn't run away from anyone. He's an absolute turtle when it comes to short area speed imo. He is a very small strider also which doesn't help.

Oliver definitely has good speed and acceleration in his initial few steps. He’s starting to show it more and more this year. He’s not Jayden Hunt but he’s nowhere near slow.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

knackers29

Senior List
Jun 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver definitely has good speed and acceleration in his initial few steps. He’s starting to show it more and more this year. He’s not Jayden Hunt but he’s nowhere near slow.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was trying to find AFL player top speeds out of interests sake, but failed miserably.

What I did find was this little gem showing records for fastest average speed of a player for a full match.

Screenshot_20210624-140311_AFL.jpg
Screenshot_20210624-140320_AFL.jpg
Screenshot_20210624-140331_AFL.jpg

Screenshot_20210624-140343_AFL.jpg
Screenshot_20210624-140358_AFL.jpg

either the GPS trackers were stuffed, or that Round 1 2017 match against St.Kilda was insane!! 13 of top 25.

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was trying to find AFL player top speeds out of interests sake, but failed miserably.

What I did find was this little gem showing records for fastest average speed of a player for a full match.

View attachment 1162425View attachment 1162426View attachment 1162428
View attachment 1162427View attachment 1162429

either the GPS trackers were stuffed, or that Round 1 2017 match against St.Kilda was insane!! 13 of top 25.

Lol those stats are so buggered.

Even looking past that R1 game that was clearly broken, Cunningham has the no.2 spot in the game he did his knee against us in the first quarter. From memory, J.Smith got injured in that R1 game against the Saints as well? What's the bet Jed Anderson sprinted off the bench in that game, hurt himself, then came straight off?

Don't ask me why but wasn't that Joel Smith's debut and he did a shoulder about 5 minutes in?

Also seriously sus that a player has a match where they averaged 3.4km per hour faster than anyone else ever recorded?!

Lol those stats are so buggered.

Even looking past that R1 game that was clearly broken, Cunningham has the no.2 spot in the game he did his knee against us in the first quarter. From memory, J.Smith got injured in that R1 game against the Saints as well? What's the bet Jed Anderson sprinted off the bench in that game, hurt himself, then came straight off?

I'm clearly too slow to post haha

Well, that's a surprise!!

Each to their own, I certainly reckon they're above average pace-wise for inside mids - which is a bonus.

They aren't going to be pacing anyone in a 40+ metres sprint.

I would've liked to have seen Ben Brown in but it's obvious the club have a plan for him. They've said they see him for the long term, must be working on some things in hopes he can get in soon

Back